SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Lexus SC430 survey question

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-06, 02:14 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Lexus SC430 survey question

I want your advise. Just bought a used SC430 and of course the dealer is all concerned about how I am going to rate them when I get the survey. I felt they were great except for one thing. When I was buying the car I did not know it had no spare tire? Just figured it would either have run flats or it would have regular tires and come with a spare. Well after I "bought" the car and when they were delivering it the sales guy was going over everything and pointed out the it had a jack, and all of the other parts but no spare. He said it came new with run flats and the previous owner put regular tires on it and it did not have a spare. They did not offer to "give" me a spare and when I contacted parts they sold me one for the "discounted" price of $391 tax included. Well its kind of like this, if I would of known that the car did not have a spare I would of made one part of the "deal". You know I didn't check for the airfilter but when you are buying a CPO vehicle with 11K miles you figure it comes with a airfilter. I figured this car came with runflats or a spare tire. Now I know it won't do me any good to call the sales manager up and ***** about the cost of the spare, but I don't think they were up front with me. Would you guys call the salesmen and tell him that you can't rate them high on the survey because of the "spare tire" problem? and let him see if the survey is important enough to them for the management to give me some money back on the spare I just paid for or do I just **** them off and get ****ty service if I do this with no money back for the spare I purchased. What do you guys think I should do???

Thanks
Old 08-24-06, 04:08 PM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would take this approach: As a CPO, new tyres were supposed to be installed on the car. I would argue that because the car was not equipped with a "spare tyre kit", they should have installed the run-flats. [I just traded-in my `04 SC430 for a CPO `05 BMW 645ci that has no spare tyre and new run-flats.] Tell the GM that a mistake was made when they CPO-ed your car and that run-flats should have been installed.
Old 08-24-06, 07:08 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeslieRC
I would take this approach: As a CPO, new tyres were supposed to be installed on the car. I would argue that because the car was not equipped with a "spare tyre kit", they should have installed the run-flats. [I just traded-in my `04 SC430 for a CPO `05 BMW 645ci that has no spare tyre and new run-flats.] Tell the GM that a mistake was made when they CPO-ed your car and that run-flats should have been installed.
But I don't want run flats?? Are you saying that I should say that since the car had normal tires and no spare they should pay for the spare I just bought? Also should I just call the GM and bypass the sales guy and used car sales manager???

Thanks
Old 08-25-06, 02:55 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Max707
But I don't want run flats?? Are you saying that I should say that since the car had normal tires and no spare they should pay for the spare I just bought? Also should I just call the GM and bypass the sales guy and used car sales manager???

Thanks
As a CPO, the dealer is supposed to deliver it to you with "original" equipment. The car was originally equipped with run-flats and no spare tyre. It strikes me that your best leverage is to stress that fact and require them to install new run-flats. However, if, as you say, you do not want run-flat tyres on the car, you lose that leverage and I see no way that the dealer would be "required" to give you a spare tyre. So that you know, there is a "spare tyre kit" for SC430s that basically provides the tyre (a doughnut) and for stowage of the spare tyre. If your car originally came with run-flats, it may not have the kit; so, you probably would want to get that as well (or otherwise use bungie cords).
Old 08-25-06, 05:58 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeslieRC
As a CPO, the dealer is supposed to deliver it to you with "original" equipment. The car was originally equipped with run-flats and no spare tyre. It strikes me that your best leverage is to stress that fact and require them to install new run-flats. However, if, as you say, you do not want run-flat tyres on the car, you lose that leverage and I see no way that the dealer would be "required" to give you a spare tyre. So that you know, there is a "spare tyre kit" for SC430s that basically provides the tyre (a doughnut) and for stowage of the spare tyre. If your car originally came with run-flats, it may not have the kit; so, you probably would want to get that as well (or otherwise use bungie cords).
Thanks, I have the kit that includes the jack and I bought the spare that fits fine in the trunk, I just did not feel I should pay for the spare. Cars that are CPO should come with all of the required parts.
Old 08-25-06, 02:28 PM
zgxl04
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would go back to the dealer as LeslieRC suggested and say that the care should be quipped with 4 new run flats. However, you would accept a spare tire as a compromise given that 4 new run-flate tires cost less than 1 new regular tire.
Old 08-25-06, 02:31 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by zgxl04
I would go back to the dealer as LeslieRC suggested and say that the care should be quipped with 4 new run flats. However, you would accept a spare tire as a compromise given that 4 new run-flate tires cost less than 1 new regular tire.
Talked to the GM and they are sending me a check for $200. A little over 1/2 what I paid for the spare. I'm happy with that deal. Lexus is a dream to work with.