SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Radio steering wheel controls

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-15, 03:13 PM
jeffhull
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio steering wheel controls

I am about to install a Pioneer AVH-4000NEX DVD Receiver in my 2004 SC 430. Crutchfield does not sell a connector for the steerinf wheel controls for my car. Does any one know if I can splice into the harness and at least connect the volume controls to the radio.
Old 05-16-15, 03:20 PM
Helogadget
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Jeff and welcome! I don't think it's quite that simple to retain the volume controls. The option most of us use (myself included) when replacing the head unit is the Beatsonic MVA-12L interface which allows a plug and play option without splicing wires. It also provides the hardware for a good fit of the new head. The major downside to the interface is it's cost, around 400.00 plus or minus depending on where you get it.. However, the Beatsonic adapter does allow the steering wheel controls to function (at least the volume anyway).

There may be cheaper options, but I don't know enough about them to comment.

Hope this helps!

Originally Posted by jeffhull
I am about to install a Pioneer AVH-4000NEX DVD Receiver in my 2004 SC 430. Crutchfield does not sell a connector for the steerinf wheel controls for my car. Does any one know if I can splice into the harness and at least connect the volume controls to the radio.

Last edited by Helogadget; 05-16-15 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05-17-15, 09:21 AM
jeffhull
Driver School Candidate

OK, you got me. After doing some research with your information, I jumped in and ordered a Beatsonic interface today. The money hurt and has drastically increased my conversion but appeared to be the best answer. Haven't even received my new head unit yet. I will let you know how it goes. I'm all about a "clean" installation. I think this will accomplish that.
I already have an antenna up kil switch installed Ant suggestions on installing USB & Mini plugs as well as phone mic would be appreciated. -jeff
Old 05-17-15, 10:40 AM
Helogadget
Pole Position

I routed my mic wire up and around and clipped the mic to my sun visor. As far as the USB, just run it under the head and poke it out where the carpet and center console join, then you can plug in whatever wire you need for your phone or iPod etc. to that.

OK, you got me. After doing some research with your information, I jumped in and ordered a Beatsonic interface today. The money hurt and has drastically increased my conversion but appeared to be the best answer. Haven't even received my new head unit yet. I will let you know how it goes. I'm all about a "clean" installation. I think this will accomplish that.
I already have an antenna up kil switch installed Ant suggestions on installing USB & Mini plugs as well as phone mic would be appreciated. -jeff
Old 05-17-15, 10:59 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 854 Likes on 687 Posts

Helo, I will be doing my install next Friday and was wondering where you installed the beatsonic. Also did you drill holes into the body for the camera?

Sorry if you or anyone else has posted this information.

BTW, are you a chopper pilot?
Old 05-17-15, 11:12 AM
loveslexus
The Dog Whisperer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The BS MLA device worked on my Pioneer AppRadio3 but NOT my new NEX receiver (just in terms of steering wheel controls). Also the "MODE" button only works when the ebrake is on making it worthless.
Old 05-17-15, 12:27 PM
Helogadget
Pole Position

The Beatsonic just kinda...ended up in some space I managed to wiggle out under the head and at the front of the center console. You will see when you get in there that space is severely limited and you kinda have to wedge at times.

I didn't do the camera option as I am saving that for when I do the Navtool. (another project)

And yes, I am a chopper pilot (regional manager now though and don't get to fly as much anymore).

Originally Posted by Bgw70
Helo, I will be doing my install next Friday and was wondering where you installed the beatsonic. Also did you drill holes into the body for the camera?

Sorry if you or anyone else has posted this information.

BTW, are you a chopper pilot?
Old 05-17-15, 12:31 PM
Helogadget
Pole Position

That's interesting that the steering wheel controls don't work with the NEX head because the steering wheel controls only change the volume of the ML Amp.

I can't comment on the Mode function because I didn't install the video portion when I did mine, but it sounds like you didn't use an ebrake bypass.

Originally Posted by loveslexus
The BS MLA device worked on my Pioneer AppRadio3 but NOT my new NEX receiver (just in terms of steering wheel controls). Also the "MODE" button only works when the ebrake is on making it worthless.
Old 05-17-15, 03:59 PM
jeffhull
Driver School Candidate

Where can I find information on the E Brake bypass
Old 05-17-15, 06:38 PM
Helogadget
Pole Position

Look on Ebay, tons of them there

Old 05-19-15, 05:22 AM
edmundo528
Driver School Candidate

Default Brake bypass

You don't need to buy anything else. Just find out which wire from the new head unit uses the ebrake. And ground it. I think kenwood is green or purple. But I'm not sure. And pioneer might be different also.
Old 05-19-15, 05:44 AM
Helogadget
Pole Position

That works only on older units. The newer ones (at least the Pioneer, not sure about the other brands) have a timing circuit that takes a trick to circumvent.

Originally Posted by edmundo528
You don't need to buy anything else. Just find out which wire from the new head unit uses the ebrake. And ground it. I think kenwood is green or purple. But I'm not sure. And pioneer might be different also.