SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430 Reverse camera/DVD Installation

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-11, 07:22 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

would anyone with instructions from nav tool be able to post them? Im considering buying one to add dvd and back up camera to my vias unit but I want to figure out if I can diy this or if ill need to have my local shop tackle this.
Old 02-08-11, 06:26 AM
Sapherynth
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robertrios
would anyone with instructions from nav tool be able to post them? Im considering buying one to add dvd and back up camera to my vias unit but I want to figure out if I can diy this or if ill need to have my local shop tackle this.
I second that. I have installed head units and replacement speakers on other cars in the past but I am by no means an expert. I would like to save the money on install but ONLY if I am not getting way over my head!
Old 02-08-11, 06:47 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's the instructions they gave me when I asked a few months ago.
Attached Files
Old 02-08-11, 06:51 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can you take some pics of the process and what you used if you end up DIY
Old 01-02-13, 07:47 PM
dark
Driver School Candidate

What happened to the photos? I would like to DIY.
Old 02-03-13, 12:35 PM
norman52
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, I just got done doing this. 4 hours start to finish including installing the backup camera license plate frame. This is a frigging lot of work!!! Taking all of the trunk interior pieces out to get to the dvd player was a lot of work but it gave me a chance to clean it real good before I reinstalled it. Backup camera works great. I should have done it years ago. I didn't put a player in for the other video input. If the car is parked I am out of it. If you can change your oil and change your spark plugs then you have a good chance of accomplishing this mod. If you haven't attempted either one save up and have someone else do it.

Last edited by norman52; 02-04-13 at 11:19 AM.
Old 02-04-13, 09:13 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by norman52
Well, I just got done doing this. 4 hours start to finish including installing the backup camera license plate frame. This is a frigging lot of work!!! Taking all of the trunk interior pieces out to get to the dvd player was a lot of work but it game me a chance to clean it real good before I reinstalled it. Backup camera works great. I should have done it years ago. I didn't put a player in for the other video input. If the car is parked I am out of it. If you can change your oil and change your spark plugs then you have a good chance of accomplishing this mod. If you haven't attempted either one save up and have someone else do it.
Good deal for you!

Well, did you do a DIY by any chance?
Old 02-04-13, 10:54 AM
norman52
Intermediate

Yes, I did it myself. It was also a good time to shampoo the carpets (+ 1 Hour) in the trunk since it all comes out. I have a long driveway to back down if all the other cars are out and the camera makes that a breeze now instead of trying to use those small mirrors. Tomorrow I am going to attempt to program another master key. Slamming doors, stomping brake pedals. Etc. We shall see how that goes.

Last edited by norman52; 02-04-13 at 11:22 AM.
Old 02-05-13, 03:19 PM
ebear695
Driver School Candidate

Norman, can you give us the info on the camera that you used, where purchased and how much?

Thanks
Old 02-05-13, 03:57 PM
norman52
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ebear695
Norman, can you give us the info on the camera that you used, where purchased and how much?

Thanks
I bought it off Ebay but it is also on Amazon with good reviews. I wanted metal, not cheap plastic. It works great. Visual range is about 150 feet (that is as far as my driveway it might see further.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170902383558...84.m1439.l2649

I liked it so much I bought another for my truck!

On the SC430 I drilled a small hole right below the lock to feed the wires through. Sealed with a Grommet. Nice passage way over the white Styrofoam in the back bumper. i could have routed down and back up through the back up light plug instead but this was neater. I tapped right in to the back up light and then just routed the video cable to the DVD/GPS box. The camera was only 30 minutes.................the rest was tougher.
Old 02-05-13, 06:28 PM
sorka
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That's the same one I just bought. Got it off amazon for $46 with free shipping. Just came today. Haven't been home to open it up.

My Navtool is on it's way too. Bought it off ebay with offer for $199. I first offered $180 after seeing others had gotten it for that. Navtool countered with $220 and I counted back with $199 and they took it.
Old 02-06-13, 03:06 PM
norman52
Intermediate

Lucky week. The key programming went great. 3 attempts for the key but only one for the remote.
Stayed out of the dealership!
Old 05-22-13, 07:17 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

I bought it off Ebay but it is also on Amazon with good reviews. I wanted metal, not cheap plastic. It works great. Visual range is about 150 feet (that is as far as my driveway it might see further.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170902383558...84.m1439.l2649

I liked it so much I bought another for my truck!

On the SC430 I drilled a small hole right below the lock to feed the wires through. Sealed with a Grommet. Nice passage way over the white Styrofoam in the back bumper. i could have routed down and back up through the back up light plug instead but this was neater. I tapped right in to the back up light and then just routed the video cable to the DVD/GPS box. The camera was only 30 minutes.................the rest was tougher.
Hi Norman, do you have any photos of the camera install? I'm about to do this project since I just installed Naviks (like Navtool) and am trying to find the best way to snake the wires into the trunk. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-23-13, 06:38 AM
norman52
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Hi Norman, do you have any photos of the camera install? I'm about to do this project since I just installed Naviks (like Navtool) and am trying to find the best way to snake the wires into the trunk. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
If you take the license plate off there is a hole and then you will see the Styrofoam that is the backing to the bumper. You can easily get up and over the Styrofoam with the wires and then I just drilled a 3/8 hole to let the wires into the trunk Just drill from the trunk side and line up as best you can to pop out by the license plate. I got the rubber grommet to fill the hole from Lowe's. I tapped into the back up light from the wiring harness on the passenger side. It comes in under the carpet right behind the light.. I have the spare tire kit and all of that had to come out, carpet, tool pan, everything. It just pops out but it was still a lot of work. I removed the navigation unit just so I could install the plug easier. Again, lots of screws and bolts. Anyone can do this job, it just takes way more time than you thought because right when you think you are all set to go, something else is in the way. But in the end it works great. I can back down my 100ft driveway and not even use the mirrors anymore.
Old 05-23-13, 02:27 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

If you take the license plate off there is a hole and then you will see the Styrofoam that is the backing to the bumper. You can easily get up and over the Styrofoam with the wires and then I just drilled a 3/8 hole to let the wires into the trunk Just drill from the trunk side and line up as best you can to pop out by the license plate. I got the rubber grommet to fill the hole from Lowe's. I tapped into the back up light from the wiring harness on the passenger side. It comes in under the carpet right behind the light.. I have the spare tire kit and all of that had to come out, carpet, tool pan, everything. It just pops out but it was still a lot of work. I removed the navigation unit just so I could install the plug easier. Again, lots of screws and bolts. Anyone can do this job, it just takes way more time than you thought because right when you think you are all set to go, something else is in the way. But in the end it works great. I can back down my 100ft driveway and not even use the mirrors anymore.
Thanks for the reply. I total understand your directions, I am just confused on the hole you drilled from inside the trunk towards the bumper. Did you just drill through the spare wheel housing, or remove it and then drill? Could you maybe post a photo? I don't want to drill into an area, if I don't know what's between the spare wheel wall and bumper. Thanks.

Quick Reply: SC430 Reverse camera/DVD Installation