SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430 Reverse camera/DVD Installation

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-06, 03:07 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Welcome to your first post here. When you pick the car up, I would be very happy to assist.

Just an update, the Vaistech unit is installed and currently running both my Ipod and the DVD unit. So far so good. Great sound. Very easy installation. Awesome customer service (shipped overnight to me). Those in attendance at EOS will be able to witness it. Pics coming shortly.

Lee
Old 09-23-06, 12:22 PM
RanGer498
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Welcome to your first post here. When you pick the car up, I would be very happy to assist.

Just an update, the Vaistech unit is installed and currently running both my Ipod and the DVD unit. So far so good. Great sound. Very easy installation. Awesome customer service (shipped overnight to me). Those in attendance at EOS will be able to witness it. Pics coming shortly.

Lee
ipod and dvd ..please post the how too
Old 09-26-06, 01:42 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower

Lee
lee, too bad we couldn't see how the hook up is.

we should hook up next time when i am in LA. after seeing gerald's car with the rear camera setup, and how "simple" the install is, i am kinda inclinded to do it now as well, but if i do it i want to get it done with dvd setup as well, and seems like you are an excellent reference!
Old 09-26-06, 01:55 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Let me know Henry. Anytime, I do live about 80 miles further north vs before off the 14/5 freeway so perhaps on one of your drives down.
I will post some pictures shortly but the audio is very nice with the Vaistech unit. I still need to get me a nice camera as everything else is in place.
Lee
Old 09-26-06, 02:21 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

no problem lee, for a good reference system, all the drive is worth it

so i am a bit confused. now you are using the vaistech for the ipod and the dvd, and the dvd sound is going through the vaistech to the ML system too, is that right, lee? and as an extra, the rear camera is feeding through the ebay unit?
Old 09-26-06, 08:11 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
no problem lee, for a good reference system, all the drive is worth it

so i am a bit confused. now you are using the vaistech for the ipod and the dvd, and the dvd sound is going through the vaistech to the ML system too, is that right, lee? and as an extra, the rear camera is feeding through the ebay unit?

Audio feeding through the Vaistech.
Video through the other unit.
So far so nice.
Old 09-26-06, 09:09 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

gotcha, lee, just looked at viastech website again, i guess you got the SLI unit?

since the video unit it in the trunk, and the vaistech unit is behind the nav (and the ipod in the glove box), how do you hook up all the wires for the dvd player around the whole car? and where did you put your dvd player?

sorry i should have just come and take a look, but i am pretty excited right now already thinking about future projects
Old 09-26-06, 02:12 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Actually the SLU unit as the SLI unit is not compabtible.

This offers two inputs and is very easy to connect.

For those only interested in the video/audio playback, then the Vaistecvh video interface makes more sense.

I went with this option due to the automated rear camera switching.
Lee
Old 09-26-06, 07:08 PM
mmaloy
Driver

Default ipod on nav screen?

So do you get the ipod menu on the nav screen as well as DVD audio/video AND rear camera with the SLI unit?
Old 09-26-06, 09:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

lee, sorry more qusetions. so with the SLU, you are using one of the aux inputs for the ipod then huh? the sound quality is ok?
Old 09-26-06, 11:31 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Using the SLU unit. Nothing comes up or is controlled by the OEM stereo other than the volume. Consider it more of an audio input with volume control is all. Controls must be used on the Ipod which is fine with me.

FM vs. Vaistech

Vaistech is much much more expensive. I paidfull price with overnight shipping for around $350.00. Group buy a while back on it which I missed. The FM transmitter was around $20.00 off of Ebay and is easily the best FM transmitter I have used compared to those name brand $100.00 units from Belkin, Apple, etc..which were all junk in my testing. Too much static, lost signal, poor sound,etc. except for the Ebay unit.

Installation ease goes to the FM transmitter of course. Vaistech was also very easy for those willing to remove their climate/stereo control systems from the dash to access the back.

Sound-No question the Vaistech sounds better. Worth the money? I only purchased it because I just did not want to run two FM transmitters in my car. One-Ipod-other DVD. Otherwise I would stick with the FM transmitter. Vaistech is better, but not $320.00 better IMO.

I will get pics up shortly. So busy with the new house and getting the garage up and running.

Lee

Last edited by Pearlpower; 09-27-06 at 06:55 AM.
Old 09-27-06, 12:26 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

man, this is so clear now, lee. thanks for clarifying!!!!

seems like i have a lot of debate to do now. but for sure the ebay video one is getting a lot of points because of the automatic switch to back up camera
Old 09-27-06, 01:55 AM
RanGer498
Lead Lap

what fm transmitter from ebay did you use ?
Old 09-27-06, 05:55 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you go FM transmitter use the one that plugs directly into the attenna cable. If memory serves me correct the head unit has two attenna inputs anyways.
Old 09-27-06, 09:07 PM
garcia2
Rookie

Originally Posted by rominl
man, this is so clear now, lee. thanks for clarifying!!!!

seems like i have a lot of debate to do now. but for sure the ebay video one is getting a lot of points because of the automatic switch to back up camera
First off, thanks for your pioneering efforts, Lee!

Here's some pics of the camera on my car (not very oem):

The cable was routed up through the license plate light housing, down the inside of the rear bumper, and back up through one (of two) of the grommets under the tool tray (the same one the reverse light wiring goes through). No drilling required, but I wanted the camera bracket to be more securely attached.

I purchased the camera from ebay seller swm902, and the interface from ebay seller navtool (same one that Lee used).

Inside the garage with garage lights turned off. The reverse lights provide enough light for the camera.

Quick Reply: SC430 Reverse camera/DVD Installation