SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Can the Wind Deflector be taken down temporarily?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-06, 08:39 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Can the Wind Deflector be taken down temporarily?

I don't know about you, but the wind deflector/plexiglass in between the headrests is somewhat annoying with the top up. Is there anyway to put it down, away, etc. temporarily?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Can the Wind Deflector be taken down temporarily?-untitled2.jpg  
Old 08-03-06, 08:55 PM
Dan_K
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It can be removed but it involves taking the back part of the rear headrest off and removing the screws that hold it in place. A five to ten minute job at most. Someone has pictures in the gallery on steps to remove it. I think it was instructions on how to remove the rear seats.
Dan
Old 08-03-06, 09:10 PM
Dan_K
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ah, found it.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hlight=removal
Dan
Old 08-03-06, 09:10 PM
scdroptop

Default Thanks

I don't think it bothers me that much, ha ha.
Old 08-03-06, 11:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by scdroptop
I don't think it bothers me that much, ha ha.
HAHHAA, very true, sometimes you find a way to get used to stuff
Old 08-04-06, 06:40 AM
tfischer

Received 192 Likes on 145 Posts

It it is "bothering" you, it must be that you can see it in the mirror, which means that it is not crystal clear.

Rather than removing it, which seems to be a major pain, I would suggest you clean it with something designed for hard plastic. I use Zaino "Z-14" Plastic Magic.

A bottle of this will last you for years. I bought a bottle 5 years ago when I got my SC and I still have plenty left. Use it once or twice a year -- it's very easy and quick to apply when the top is down. The result is that the plastic wind thinggy becomes as clear as a pane of glass. With the top up, you don't even see it. In fact, it's hard to see with the top down.

Highly Recommended.

There may be other plastic polishes out there, but I know this works very well, and Zaino is a very high end line of car care products. (The Zaino leather conditioner is wonderful.)

The following is from the Zaino web page (www.zainostore.com):

Improves visibility.

Restores dull plastic to like-new condition.

Z-14 Plastic Magic Cleaner & Polish™ is a non-abrasive cleaner that removes fine hairline scratches and grime from all types of automotive, aircraft, boat, and motorcycle clear plastic windows, windshields and screens. It can be used on all plastics from very thin films to very thick acrylics.

Z-14 Plastic Magic Cleaner & Polish deep cleans as it polishes and restores dull plastics to like-new condition. It restores and maintains optical clarity on all types of clear plastic. When used on instrument panels, plastic windscreens and soft plastic windows, Z-14 Plastic Magic Cleaner & Polish™ helps to reduce distortion. This polish is a complete one-step solution for keeping new and like-new plastics in perfect condition.

The Z-14 bottle contains 8 fl. ozs.
Old 08-05-06, 06:33 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That deflector is plastic? I remember tapping it once to see if I could determine what it was and was positive it was glass.

Thanks for the heads up on that plastic cleaner from Zaino. I think I'll order a bottle of that and the leather cleaner/conditioner.
Old 08-05-06, 06:42 AM
tfischer

I'm sure the deflector is plastic.

The little center tab on the bottom center has broken on mine, which allows the deflector to be bent, although not enough to come out from the sides where it goes into the headrests.

It's not overly flexible, but it bends a whole lot more than glass.
Old 08-06-06, 09:25 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll take your word for it, Tim ... it's gotta be really difficult to bend glass that thick.
Old 08-07-06, 09:09 AM
scdroptop

Thanks for the help with the Zaino. I will get some ASAP. You sound very knowledgeable about it. I will try it and let you guys know.
Old 08-07-06, 10:05 AM
tfischer

The Zaino Plastic Cleaner is excellent, as it their "Glass Polish," which is a slightly abrasive cleaner designed to be used once or twice a year. This is especially nice on the inside of the windows to remove that "film" that nobody seems to know where it comes from.

If you are going to order the Z-14 Plastic Cleaner, you may as well save some postage and order a bottle of the Z-10 "Leather in a Bottle" at the same time.

Many consider it the best leather conditioner out there, and even those who have another favorite admit that the Zaino Leather Conditioner smells the best. I've been using it on my ecru leather since '01 and find it keeps the leather very soft and smelling like new. Apply it with your hands; it makes them feel nice, too. Highly recommended.
Old 08-07-06, 11:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

very interesting. i pretty much use everything zaino except stuff that doesn't have anything to do with body of the car. maybe later i will try those glass and leather stuff
Old 08-08-06, 07:28 AM
tfischer

As far as the other Zaino products go, I find the leather conditioner to be terrific. The glass polish and the plastic polish are also excellent, although you will only need to use these once or twice a year. The leather cleaner is OK, but does not seem all that much better than Wollite mixed 1/7 (or so) with water, which is used by many car care professionals use -- not expensive at all.

I have not used the product for tires at all, so I have no opinion on that. I just put 303 on the tires to protect the sidewalls from UV -- I really don't care if they "shine" or not, since it only lasts a day anyway.
Old 08-08-06, 09:16 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

gotcha, thanks for the info man. so i guess the leather conditioner gets a 5 star from you need to look into that then
Old 08-08-06, 06:32 PM
sc430blue
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI....I timed myself taking out the wind screen. It took less than 5 minutes.

Quick Reply: Can the Wind Deflector be taken down temporarily?