SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Metal noise when entering my SC430

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-11, 04:59 PM
jerzylexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Harold57
Mine used to do this also and I always blamed it on the brake pad clank. After I got the brake pad clank fixed, the sound hasn't come back. Does your brakes clank on the first time you back up and change direction in the morning?
mine do! and i have the same sound when entering the vehicle. was this an expensive fix?
Old 01-30-11, 03:58 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

I had the local independent Lexus shop do it and I think they charged $50 (or so) to diagnose (after I told them what the problem was...) and fix it. The process is vaguely written up in a thread here on the forum somewhere, if you are handy.

Going from memory, you bend the little springs out to put more pressure on the pads and use some copper grease or pad grease on the pathways to allow the pads to slide more easily. (Note, do not get grease on the rotor or the part of the pads that interface with the rotors!) That's about it. Shouldn't take more than about 15 minutes if you are handy around a car.
Old 01-30-11, 06:50 PM
jerzylexus
Rookie

Thanks a lot i think ill give it a shot.
Old 01-31-11, 07:11 AM
2007sc430
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the brake-clank every time I switch from D to R or vice-versa and apply the brakes. The dealer said that it was normal pad-shift. This doesn't sound anything like that. I'd describe it as more of a metal "click" sound.
Old 01-31-11, 09:46 AM
toxic
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still think it is the transmission rocking against the park pin. Experiment, stop on flat ground, put the car in park, open the door put your foot on the ground and push back. I'm betting you will hear the same sound.

TOXIC
Old 02-01-11, 06:01 AM
fwoIII
Driver School Candidate

Mine has always made the noise as well.
Old 02-02-11, 03:26 PM
momssc
Driver

I have it too on my 02. Just first thing in the morning like the others have said. But has it been determined what it is? It has nothing to do with the trans I know that much. I also thought it might be the brake caliper but why only on one side?

My money is on that sensor on the drivers side.........I will find it sooner or later.
Old 04-05-11, 12:03 PM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I also have this same sound from my 2006, when shifting from P to R, etc. I agree with Toxic that it may be the transmission rocking against the park pin or something very related to that. When sitting in the car with the windows closed I cannot hear anything, I only hear it when my wife is starting the car up and then putting it in R and sometimes D. Perhaps the noise could also be from the differential, just guessing.

Last edited by sixonemale; 04-05-11 at 06:42 PM.
Old 04-16-11, 11:38 AM
Rustito
Pole Position

I too have metal clanking coming from under the car when I sit down in the drivers seat of my 04. It only happens once in the morning and it is every morning. Think I'll try getting in the passanger side and see if it happens.

I have owned the car for 3 yrs. and it never happened before. I only have about 30,000 miles on it. Only thing that is different is that I now have a garage so for the past 6 mos. the car has not been wet at all - haven't even driven in the rain. Someone on this thread said something about a cause related to the car being bone dry?

So my question is whether anyone has had this clanking whose car is not garage kept? Personally I was not concerned about the noise but now I am focused on it after reading this thread. However, sounds like most are saying it is nothing to worry about?
Old 04-16-11, 09:55 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

It appears to be normal...been hearing clunking, clipping noises too. Once on the road heaven. So no harm no foul.
Old 04-19-11, 09:07 AM
Tensi
Intermediate

Yeah, I am disappointed in all the noises this car makes. I have ALL of the ones mentioned in here...

1. the single metal clank when I get in the car in the morning. Cannot be replicated no matter what. Garage kept on level ground in climate controlled garage.

2. I also have clunks when pulling K turns or backing in and out of parking spaces. Not the pad click... a real metal clunk.

I've been to several dealers, and had several techs look at it... new shim kit, greased everything, new brakes... nothing fixes it.

All this is real annoying in the parking lot. Sounds like I am driving a 1985 Ford Fiesta. Its loud and really sounds like trash.
Old 04-19-11, 11:17 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Tensi, those are the same noises I had before I had mine fixed. I no longer hear them and it has been a couple of years since I had it done. Mine was a large metal clunk noise also.
Old 04-20-11, 02:58 PM
Tensi
Intermediate

I had the local independent Lexus shop do it and I think they charged $50 (or so) to diagnose (after I told them what the problem was...) and fix it. The process is vaguely written up in a thread here on the forum somewhere, if you are handy.

Going from memory, you bend the little springs out to put more pressure on the pads and use some copper grease or pad grease on the pathways to allow the pads to slide more easily. (Note, do not get grease on the rotor or the part of the pads that interface with the rotors!) That's about it. Shouldn't take more than about 15 minutes if you are handy around a car.
Tensi, those are the same noises I had before I had mine fixed. I no longer hear them and it has been a couple of years since I had it done. Mine was a large metal clunk noise also.
Harold, I think you may be my savior! I googled and searched the forum til my fingers bled... I can't find more in depth info! Any help would be amazing. PLEASE!!!! This would make my SC wonderful.
Old 04-21-11, 09:29 PM
Tensi
Intermediate

Harold, whenever you have time, any help would be amazing. I searched the whole forum and haven't come up with much about what you're talking about. I am dying to get this fixed.
Old 04-23-11, 03:09 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

I'll try to search for it this weekend.

Quick Reply: Metal noise when entering my SC430