SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Bilstein Sport shocks installed.. Well the fronts..

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-08, 03:23 AM
ZensokuD1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think it was 3-4 in longer so it would bottom out faster.
Old 12-17-11, 09:55 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

I will replace my 02SC430 front shocks with Bilstein HD for GS400. Is it necessary to replace any other part, ie., upper mounts, etc. for the shocks to fit or the shocks are direct replacements?
Old 12-17-11, 11:50 AM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Holy old post, Batman! They dug this one up from the grave!

No, they should be bolt on. You may want to have a look at upper control arm and bushings while you are there. 02's have a common problem with this. Do a search on it.
Old 12-17-11, 03:07 PM
bacardi
Lead Lap

hi
what year gs bilstein sport struts did you buy. the weight of the cars is different for the year of the car. valving in the struts would be different.
Old 12-19-11, 12:28 PM
bacardi
Lead Lap

hi guy's
any of you reading this, dose anyone know from what year GS is needed.
Old 03-21-12, 11:39 AM
bacardi
Lead Lap

pearlpower
i don't know if your still here, but heres an update for you: The Bilstein Sport GS300 Dampers fit the 430sc in the front. the rears just need the bumpstops cut 1-1/2" for the Bilstein Sports to fit.

Or you can do it the right way, send them the front Bilstein Sport Damper and have them revalve the Fronts for the 430sc.
also send them a photo of the stock rears 430sc dampers with all the measurements of the stock dampers and with the rear Bilstein GS300 Sport Dampers they will cut the Damper Body and Rods, Revalve them to fit the 430sc..
then you have Bilstein front and back.

Last edited by bacardi; 03-22-12 at 07:52 AM.
Old 02-01-13, 10:30 PM
townsville
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello from Australia, I realise this is an old post, but would be grateful for any feedback/advice re the IS300 rear bilstein shock for my 2005 sc430. I have looked at other shock options but having driven a few cars with bilstein shocks, I REALLY want some rear bilsteins. many thanks
Old 02-01-13, 10:33 PM
townsville
Driver School Candidate

hello again, 'Appreciate any advice as to who I can contact in Bilsten USA to have some rear shocks made up for my 2005 sc 430. many thanks
Old 02-03-13, 09:50 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Default Still looking for rear shocks

So it has been a year that Ive had the fronts replaced with GS Bilstein shocks. Still going strong. I have got to replace the rears but want to know if the IS Bilsteins do fit. Can we have a positive confirmation please from an actual owner?
Old 02-06-13, 07:49 AM
tomscnj
10th Gear

OK guys,
newbie owner/CL forum member still confused:

My '02 SC430 garage queen still only has 50k on it after me drivinrsg it all over the place for two months.
I replaced the "pie plates" (even tho their look started to grow on me) for '07 OEM SC430 five-stars,

Anyway, even though the miles are low, I think the shocks are soft and wallowy (but no probs or noises or bottoming) and I would like to upgrade if economical. Looking for improved handling with decent ride compromise so "hipendicul" 's experience sounds encouraging, but "ZensokuD1" seems to not recommend them.

What's the last word on shock replacement, and what are the part numbers?

Thanks!
Old 02-09-13, 04:30 PM
townsville
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by whitels
So it has been a year that Ive had the fronts replaced with GS Bilstein shocks. Still going strong. I have got to replace the rears but want to know if the IS Bilsteins do fit. Can we have a positive confirmation please from an actual owner?
Yes, it would be great to get confirmation whether the IS Bilsteins fit the rear of a 2005 sc430. Anyone know for sure pls ? i am looking forward to the bilstein difference ! thanks
Old 03-03-13, 07:30 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Can we have our Lexus parts partner chime in please? All we need to know is if the rear shocks of IS and SC have approximately the same physical measurements and layout/ placement for bumpstop, etc. Never mind the valving etc. We'll deal with that issue after someone's had it installed. A picture showing the side by side comparison of stock IS and SC shocks would be nice. Who knows we may end up buying IS shocks instead of Bilsteins.
Old 03-03-13, 10:58 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by whitels
Can we have our Lexus parts partner chime in please? All we need to know is if the rear shocks of IS and SC have approximately the same physical measurements and layout/ placement for bumpstop, etc. Never mind the valving etc. We'll deal with that issue after someone's had it installed. A picture showing the side by side comparison of stock IS and SC shocks would be nice. Who knows we may end up buying IS shocks instead of Bilsteins.
...hey guys thought I would jump in,since I just did this. I used Bilsteins for a GS 300, instead of an IS.In some of the old threads, the GS shock is whats suggested, so I'm not sure about the IS .I dropped the car approximately 1.5in all around & put Bilstein on the back. I cut the bumpstop in half to give them the same travel as the stock setup, as suggested. I'm running 18 x 9.5, with 25 offset,in the rear & haven't experienced any rubbing of any kind. I love the handling now & it really rides greats. You do feel the stiffness on bumpy roads,but other than that,everything seems to be fine...hope this helps some
Old 03-03-13, 11:10 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Im confused because previous post indicated that the SC stock rear shocks are a few inches shorter than the GS'. Which means that ithe GS rear shocks might be too long for the SC, let alone a lowered SC. Do you have a pic or illustration how you did it?
Old 03-04-13, 09:30 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

...hey guy sorry for the late response...I read threw many threads here before making my decision. The best thread I came across is titled "aftermarket shocks & struts by ultima"...type this into the search box & it should come up. Then start reading @ post # 20. He details what he did exactly & I followed it to a tee.The only thing I might do differently, would be to leave the bump stop as is or not cut as much off them. I didn't take pics of the set-up or install (sorry), but can definitely say that it worked !!! If you need more info or have more questions, just pm me or possibly Vtur, he's the person who did it first & posted it in the thread I suggested..hope this helps some

Quick Reply: Bilstein Sport shocks installed.. Well the fronts..