SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Will this version navigation DVD work?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-06, 07:41 PM
TEXAS83
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will this version navigation DVD work?

I need to buy an extra nav disc for an '02 430, and was wondering if the following version will work:

Navigation Update DVD 86271-53020 05.1

Also, is this the latest disc out? thanks for the help!
Old 07-01-06, 12:29 AM
TEXAS83
Lead Lap

damn no responses yet! i have to buy it in the next 2 days! please somebody helP!
Old 07-01-06, 03:14 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My understanding is the generation number needs to be the same as you currently have.
Old 07-01-06, 06:56 AM
TEXAS83
Lead Lap

i know my car has a generation 3 navigation system... I know that I need 05.1, but I don't know what all the numbers at the beginning mean... Can someone verify that this DVD will work?
Old 07-01-06, 02:55 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Not exactly an answer, but a comment and a question.
My '04 car came with the upgraded mapping, and it's also Gen 3 (with the 5 destination boxes at the bottom, rather than 1).
My question is if there is an even newer mapping version for our cars, and if now that new versions are out (up to 5, I think), if they're going to make them at all??? Just curious.
Old 07-02-06, 06:27 AM
tfischer

Received 194 Likes on 147 Posts

I don't know what you mean by "mapping version."

Your car has the Gen 3 system, which is the hardware; I have a Gen 2 system in my SC and a Gen 3 system in my RX. I think newer cars have Gen 4 and maybe even Gen 5 systems, but the Generation of the hardware refers to the built-in features. Also, Lexus went to a different supplier after Generation 3 hardware.

The map and POI data is a different thing altogether. That is the data on the DVD. The data includes the maps and all the POI data. That data disc can be replaced with a newer disc that contains newer data, so the roads are updated if changed or new roads or expressway exits are added, and new restaurants, gas stations, etc and added. That data is supplied to all NAV system makers by companies in that business. The NAV companies put the data onto the DVDs in a format that the system can read. Right now, the Lexus data disc that came out in January of '06 is Data Version 5.01. These updates come out no more frequently than once a year.

Gen 2 and Gen 3 systems use the same data disc. A gen 4 or later system cannot read that disc because it is a different operating system and different hardware.

If you go into the INFO screen and press on DVD, the system will tell you what version of the data you have. When I was shopping for used cars, all the cars I looked at had the original data disc in them that was several years old. In '04, the disc that came with the car was Ver 2.01.

I don't think it's worth the cost to update more than once every 3 or 4 years. Many people never update them. I have talked to owners who did not even know that the map data was on a disc.

Happy 4th.
Old 07-02-06, 08:12 AM
JCtx
Racer

Hey Fischer, I was referring to the 'DATA' indeed. But that data is bundled with the operating system on a single disc, no? That's the way it is on my Acura MDX. That's why you have to get the disc from dealers, and there's a special sequence you need to follow that only they know (or maybe it's in the service manual?), or the system won't work.

Do our SCs have 2 different discs, one for data and one for operating system? I remember just seeing one disc slot. Or is the operating system in an internal hard drive? If you can clear my confusion, it'd be great. Will check my version later, but I believe it's the 2.01; my car is an early '04, so might have the old one. I'm not going to update mine as I never use the nav, but was curious about it. Have a happy 4th too buddy .
Old 07-02-06, 08:41 AM
tfischer

I'm not sure where the operating system is located exactly, but I expect it's on flash ROM, or at least most of it is. There is no hard dirve in the system, so it's not there, and it boots up too fast, in my opinion, for it to be reading an operating system from the DVD.

Also, I have looked at the data files on the DVD and it looks to me like there are two files for each "search area," one for maps and one for POI.

If you upgrade from data version 1 to data version 2, the DVD will upgrade the OS, but my guess is that it's just flashing the ROM, which is pretty common.

There is no secret installation procedure. I've done it several times with several (Lexus) cars, and you just put in the newer DVD and give the system about 60 seconds to read the disc directory and get settled. Sometimes the first read can install some new stuff, mostly new map or route icons, but that only happens on the first read. You don't want to interrupt the system while it is doing that, so maybe that's why the dealer wants to install the new DVD himself (and he can charge you -- but you don't pay somebody to swap CDs in the car, so why pay somebody to swap data discs in the trunk?)

If your car is an '04, it most probably came with the ver 2.01 data -- my used '04 RX came with that. I had previously been using 2.01 in my SC also, until I got the new ver 5 in Jan of this year. Since my the Gen 2 and Gen 3 systems read the same data disc, I can and have swapped the original DVD back and forth between the two cars several times. (I would never use my backup copy in a second car!)

Don't know why you never use the NAV -- I thought I never would when I got the car, but use it quite a lot and when looking for a used RX330, made that my only mandatory option. It's the best toy in a car since the reclining seat.
Old 07-02-06, 09:41 AM
JCtx
Racer

Thanks buddy. May I ask where did you buy the 5 version DVD? And how much?

I don't use it because I don't travel on my car, but when I bought it, I was so impressed by it that I changed the MDX I had on order to the Nav, because we do travel on that one. What I'll buy next is a handheld GPS with voice directions, since I'd also use it a lot on my motorcycles. It's over $2,500 on the new RX; just too much. Take care.
Old 07-02-06, 01:01 PM
tfischer

I got it from Sewell, who had a special purchase group offer here on this board for a reduced price back in November for those who ordered prior to the January production date.

I think the cost was a bit over $200 for that deal; I think the retail cost now is about $250.00, but it varies among the dealers -- I think list price is $280. Somebody who bought the version 5 who also had the version 4 might want to sell you the version 4 pretty cheap, since it is of no use to him. Sometimes you can find that on eBay, but not very often. Most often the discs sold on eBay are old version 2s or copies that don't work very well, if at all (working copies of DL DVDs are pretty hard to copy perfectly), or they are misrepresented as working for your car but it's for some other system. You have to be very careful about that, as it's easy to get stung, and generally DVDs are sold on a no return basis. eBay can be great, but not for this product.

See what your local dealers wants (at the parts department) or check Sewell's web pages.
Old 07-02-06, 07:08 PM
JCtx
Racer

You're right; I wouldn't buy anything like that on Ebay. I bought a CD service manual, and was a total rip-off: no index, and no way in hell to search for the thousands of files. I was the first to complain, but all those creeps now have a ton of negative feedback, so shouldn't stay in business for very long (if people check, that is).

Anyway, I have 'Ver. 03.1', when I pressed 'DVD' on Menu. You also mentioned Ver 4, is that data version 4 or gen 4? Since my version is 3, the current one is 5, right? And how about the change of suppliers you mentioned on Gen 4 Nav systems? Since versions 4 and 5 are for newer Nav versions, would they work on our Gen 3 system?

Finally, I looked EVERYWHERE on the manuals about cleaning the Nav screen, and nothing. Somebody mentioned a damaged screen here. Since the screen gets oily fingers, it just doesn't clean with a damp cloth; it just smears it even worse. What do you guys use???
Old 07-02-06, 07:36 PM
tfischer

The data discs for the Gen 2 and 3 systems will not work in a Gen 4 or Gen 5 NAV system, and vice versa.

As for cleaning the nav system screen, use any window cleaner that does not have amonia in it. Glass cleaners that say they are safe for tinted windows are OK. Do not use WINDEX. Do not use paper towels, as they are very abrasive. Use only a microfiber towel. The screen has a coating on the surface that an abrasive will harm.

Just treat it the same way you treat your plasma TV screen.

I got a little plastic bottle from Walgreens with a spray top for the cleaner, and keep it and the microfiber towel in the little compartment at the rear of the center console, so it's always handy.
Old 07-02-06, 07:37 PM
TEXAS83
Lead Lap

dry microfiber cloth works wonderfully for my navi screen, 3 pack at walmart is $4, look for the small, yellow roll...
Old 07-02-06, 07:44 PM
tfischer

I have not heard many good things about the MF towels from Walmart. Most of the auto detailers use them on wheels only, and would not use them on a painted surface, mostly because of the less than optimal composition, the stitching on the border (often poly) and the labels. That's why they are only a dollar each.

For the good stuff, go to

www.pankshak.com

Many professional auto detailers consider these towels to be the best in the world.

Highly recommended.
Old 07-05-06, 08:16 AM
dhamaka127
Driver

Post NAV Upgrade Question...???

I have a 2004 RX330 and it has NAV DVD version 3.01 (Gen 3) and i am thinking about getting the new DVD. So I was wondering if the new NAV DVD with the software upgrade works better than the 3.01 version that I have currently. LIke current when i am driving I have a destination chosen, the roads for the side streets do no get marked because it doesnot have the routes through them. Like the system says that the location is in the area, look at the map to navigate throught he streets. It does not guide me through those streets to the exact address. So i was wondering if the newer DVDs have them so it does get routed through the smaller streets.

-Monish

Quick Reply: Will this version navigation DVD work?