SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

How to fix your bent antenna

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-06, 09:48 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Thumbs up How to fix your bent antenna

OK, this does not occur often, but I took the SC to the local automated car wash as I was rushed and this particular wash has been good to all of my cars finish as it is one of those ,”soft” wash. Unfortunately I turned on the radio without thinking and up went the antenna where it got bent. I suppose that is what I get for being on the cel phone in the car wash.

Thinking my only solution was going to cost a few hundred dollars I decided to check around and was surprised to find that replacement antennas were sold on the popular auction site. Not the entire assembly but a replacement mast (the metal part that goes up and down). Perhaps this will assist those in the future who run into the same issue.

It took an entire 6 minutes to replace to like new condition. The mast I received appeared identical to the OEM Lexus unit which was reassuring.

Here are a few pictures.
Now keep in mind that 2 people are highly recommended to complete this as someone needs to control the radio on/off button.

The first thing to do is to remove the antenna nut on top. It easily screws off. The instructions say to turn on the radio and while the antenna goes up or tries to ,pull up on it to pull it out of the assembly. Not quit that easy on the SC as it would not come out. Instead I had to pull the antenna out as far as possible and then disconnect the battery. One I reconnected it the rest of the unit came right out as the motor recycled. Notice the direction the gear side of the plastic line is facing.

Installation of the new unit is the easier. Have someone turn on the radio while feeding the gear line into the assembly with the gear side facing the correct side until it catches and it will take care of the rest. Install the nut and cycle the unit a few times to set it.

Perfect.

Total cost: $20.00 with shipping! which equates to more money for other mods.

Here are some pics.
Lee

Last edited by Pearlpower; 06-07-06 at 09:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
elibutton (08-28-21)
Old 06-08-06, 05:34 AM
Radical350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Good to know, great write up Lee!!

If the mast gets bent or breaks don't rip it out of the motor! Follow Lee's great replacement guidelines.

When I bought my car (from Carmax) they did a pre-delivery cleaning at the dealer, which included an automated car wash. They left the antenna up and it broke before I ever drove the car off the lot. I was so pissed!!! It would not retract. It was just hanging off the side of the car. So the manager just ripped it out of the motor. I took it to Lexus of Orlando and they had to replace the mast and drive gear due to the managers actions. Of course Carmax paid the repair bill.
Old 06-08-06, 06:54 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can do what I do and just unplug the attenna so it never goes up I think it looks ugly up and the top down, actually it just looks ugly up in general
Old 06-08-06, 09:02 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

very nice write up lee! and yeah i kinda agree, i would probably never use that thing anyway
Old 06-08-06, 10:00 PM
kormaster
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Pearlpower... samething happen to me this past weekend....

The plastic cable thing is all out and will not go back down.... antenna is broken.... so i just put it in the trunk and closed the trunk..... yes.. the plastic cable is wedged in the slit b/t the trunk.. but no choice.... went to the dealer for a new antenna.. $80 bucks.... i wanted to find a replacement that is not retractable... like the rubber antenna... No luck finding those..

Where did you get the replacement antenna?? Radio still works fine but a little staticky.

I saw many pictures from the caravan meet..... makes me want to lower the car with front lip and exaust..... I have been showing the pictures to my wife... hehehehhe crossing my fingers..... Plus we like to change the TAN interior to maroon color.. but i think it will cost SOOO MUCH to change everything...
Old 06-08-06, 10:30 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Hello there,

I picked this one up from user
"bridgewood mtorosports" on Ebay. I purchased direct from their website as it was $1.00 less.

The key is to not pull it out with so much force where it will break and leaave a part in the assembly which will add hours to a 5 minute job.
Lee
Old 06-09-06, 05:58 PM
liquid2
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is identical to how you change the ls400s antenna( I did that yesterday ) But in the last photo...It kind of looks awkward, like the antenna is too long or something...
Old 07-31-11, 04:10 PM
LilHoya
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Replaced my bent antenna on a 2007 SC430 for $18. - thanks to this forum. I bent mine backing out of garage too quick .. Couple easy steps. Buy exact antenna on ebay ~ $18. Unscrew the Antenna nut - nice instruction at http://antennamastsrus.com/Nut%20Removal.htm
Next have someone hold down AM & DISC and turn ignition to ACC - this will push out the entire antenna drive cable. Extract bad antenna. Next -feed the new drive cable into the hole with the teeth facing the back of the vehicle. Have your partner turn the key to off & feed in the new cable. Seat the antenna & affix the nut. took me 4 minutes ( after surfing the web for 10 hours...)
The following 2 users liked this post by LilHoya:
wendyo (10-06-21), Wilson2000 (06-19-21)
Old 08-03-11, 04:56 AM
darnot10
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had you only spent 4 minutes surfing the web you might have had a 10 hour job!!!
Old 08-03-11, 06:25 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Go for it Darrin!
Old 09-20-12, 11:32 AM
mydakrri
Driver

I just went through a carwash and forgot to put down the antenna. Whoops! I ordered one on ebay and it’ll be here Wednesday. Most of my nylon drive cable and the mast is on the floor of the carwash so I hope I can fish the rest of it out of the motor without having to take it apart.

I’ll try this:
Have someone hold down AM & DISC and turn ignition to ACC - this will push out the entire antenna drive cable
Old 09-25-12, 11:13 AM
mydakrri
Driver

Just an update.

Unscrewed the antenna nut and the pushing the AM & DISC buttons and turn ignition to ACC the antenna popped right out. I then turned the radio on and let the motor cycle. I pushed the plastic cable into the antenna motor and had my wife turned the radio off. Walla…it pulled the antenna cable/antenna in and I put the nut back on and had to cycle it about 7-times before it worked correctly.
Old 12-16-12, 10:02 PM
thombiz
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The SC430 I recently purchased had a bent antenna so I went to Ebay, ordered the "matching" replacement antenna. The antenna arrived in short order and I got busy installing it. Followed the instructions to the "T". But.....I kept getting the "tooth jumping" noise when the new antenna was extended all the way up.....not good. I removed the new antenna and put the micrometer to it.....the new antenna had a plastic toothed extension that was somewhat less thick than the OEM antenna. Hummmmm. This "thinness" caused the drive gear to "jump" teeth. Somehow, I managed to take the original antenna and remove the plastic cable and use it in the "off Ebay" antenna.
Worked like a charm. All is right with the world again!
Old 12-17-12, 10:06 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Nice going Thombiz. How was the plastic gear portion attached?
Old 12-17-12, 04:26 PM
thombiz
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The Plastic gear portion is attached to the very top length of the antenna. I removed the "ball" top from the OEM antenna, which allowed me to pull out the plastic gear portion which has uppermost length of stainless steel antenna attached to it, like one continuous length. I did the same with the Ebay antenna, then I tried to insert the OEM top & plastic gear into the Ebay antenna. It wouldn't fit, the Ebay antenna top piece was smaller in diameter, so I got a drill bit the same size as the stainless steel upper length of the OEM antenna, drilled the Ebay antenna and now, successfully inserted the OEM top and plastic gear into the Ebay antenna. and inserted it in the car in the normal way. Worked first time.

Quick Reply: How to fix your bent antenna