SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430 Costly Service - Please Help!

Old 05-15-06, 11:25 AM
howardde
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC430 Costly Service - Please Help!

So I had a flat in my run-flats and took it to the Lexus dealer for repair (they patched it...btw, I didn't think runflats could be patched)...anyway, as long as the car was there, I thought they should go ahead and do the 60,000 mile service (for $669)...my car has 58,500 miles on it.

Anyway, they call and tell me that I need the following services peformed, in addition to the $669 60,000 mile service:

New back brakes $295
Differential drain and refill $100
Transmission drain and refill $135
Coolant drain and refill $125
New Air filter $99

For a total of $1423!!! I don't know that much about car servicing, but that seems high. Plus, I just changed the air filter myself (in the glove box) for $28 from Lexus-Parts.com, so I'm surprised it would need changing again (and for $99). Would any of you advise on whether I can get some of the above services (other than the 60,000 mile service) done elsewhere, like at a brake shop, etc. and would the costs be any cheaper? I have to let them know by this afternoon whether to proceed with any of the above.

Thanks!
Old 05-15-06, 11:32 AM
GEE-BEE
Pole Position

Default service

I have a new K&N airfilter for 35.00, all other service can be done by alot of the quick oil change shops , plus you can watch them.

Cabin airfilter , contact Carson Toyota O.E.M or Aftermarket Blitz

Rear brakes , again in good service shop can turn the rotors and supply good pads, if you need pads and rotors , again Carson stocks these

800-90-toyota, Luis in parts

Just my 2Cents

Gee-Bee

P.S. Go Synthetic on you engine and Tran Oil
And bring a condom next time you go to that dealer.... !

Last edited by GEE-BEE; 05-15-06 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-15-06, 11:47 AM
DChuka
Driver

I'm still stuck on the fact that you had the tire repaired! I've been under the impression from both the dealer and a tire place thatthe runflats need to be replaced if they pick up a nail, etc.

Anybody know one way or the other?
Old 05-15-06, 12:05 PM
sc430blue
Lead Lap

It looks like the service advisors trying to "pad" the invoice. Have them do the 60k and be done with it. You can have them put it on the lift to see how much pad is left on the brakes and make a decision it you are so inclined. The intake air filter is located in the engine bay. I believe you changed the interior air filter (for pollen and allergens).
Old 05-15-06, 01:03 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 2 Posts

New back brakes $295 ************PARTS: $60 pads- $20 turn rotors
Differential drain and refill $100 **********PARTS: $5
Transmission drain and refill $135 **********PARTS: $25
Coolant drain and refill $125 ***********PARTS: $15
New Air filter $99 ***********PARTS: $50

The above parts are genuine Lexus parts. If you are not mechanically inclined, you can still do all of the above with the exception of the back brakes. Nothing rocket science about drain and refill. Just find the right socket wrench and drain **** and have a pan ready, you're good to go. Just be careful when raising the car and going underneath.

If you are willing to raise your mechanical ability, the rear brakes is a good first project. To relieve yourself of intimidation, first raise the car and remove the wheels. Inspect how the brakes are put together. See if you can do it. Maybe you can ask your lexus parts for a copy of the service manual pertaining to rear brake replacement.

If you don't want to do the brakes yourself, buy the lexus brake parts and have it installed by a mechanic you trust.

Last edited by whitels; 05-15-06 at 01:39 PM.
Old 05-15-06, 01:20 PM
minty99z
Pole Position

CHANGE DEALERS NOW!!!

They are ripping you off. All of those "extras" are included in the 60k service. They are OUT OF THEIR MINDS.
I worked in parts.
60k service is the following
Oil Change
Trans fluid flush
Coolant flush
Gear fluid flush (minus ES cars)
Air Filter
Tire Rotation
PCV
Top off brake fluid

If they dont do all this, then they are stiffing you.
If you have an 04' or newer car now, all you have to do is, Air filter, Cabin Filter, Oil Change and Top Brake Fluid. THATS it.
Old 05-15-06, 04:25 PM
howardde
Driver School Candidate

Default Just got back from Dealer---Ripped Off?

So I picked up my car this afternoon and only let them do the 60,000 mile service. They again showed me the list of every "recommended" item. So I pulled out the "2002 Lexus Owner's Manual Supplement" that they stamp every time I come and where it shows what is to be done for each designated service visit. Here is what it says for the 60,000 mile service:
  • Replace air conditioner filter
  • Replace brake fluid
  • Replace engine air filter
  • Replace engine coolant
  • Replace engine oil and oil filter
  • Re-torque drive shaft flange bolts
  • Rotate tires
  • Road-test vehicle
  • Inspect the following:
  • (long list)

Then it says the following:

Additional Maintenance Items for Special Operating Conditions:
*Inspect nuts and bolts on chassis and body
*Replace differential oil (only if vehicle is operated primarily while towing a trailer or using a campber or car-top carrier)
*Replace transmission fluid (only if vehicle is operated primarily while towing a trailer or using a campber or car-top carrier)

So, they stamped the book saying they did the above...and so I point out to the guy that they had quote me an extra $125 for the coolant drain and refill and $99 for the A/C filter, BOTH OF WHICH ARE INCLUDED IN THE 60,000 MILE SERVICE!!! And his response, "oh, those maintance books that came with you car are old...the coolant replacement and A/C filter replacement are OPTIONAL and therefore not included in our 60,000 mile service! I was incredulous. So I can't even figure out from their invoice what they did as part of 'their 60k mile service' other than rotating the tires, flushing the brake system, installing some "conditioners," an alignment of wheels, and "Air filter," wiper blade replacement and washing and vacuuming the car.

And to top it off, they didn't wash and vacuum the car...it was filthy and the inside had all the leaves on the floormats it had when I dropped it off. So I pointed this out to the guy, and he said he'd note it on my account so I get a wash and wax the next time I come in.

So, I ask all of you, should I demand to know what they did to my car for $667.14 and why they didn't do the items that they are supposed to do? Or should I just ignore it, find a new dealer, do the fluid replacements on my own, etc.? Problem is, I like this dealership, and they close to my house. Thoughts?
Old 05-15-06, 05:40 PM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

Here's my thoughts.

First, you should have gone over the list and the charges before getting anything done. After the service it's too late because you have no leverage. Your statement in your first post: "I have to let them know by this afternoon whether to proceed with any of the above" says it all. They put pressure on you to make a decision before you could figure out what was going on. What's the deadline? What's the rush? That type of sales technique says "funny business" way over here.

Too bad, but that's water over the dam (or is it under the bridge?). So maybe next time you'll say I'll pick up the car in an hour and we will take care of this next week. Isn't an hour of your time to pick up the car worth more than $800.00?

And while we're on it, don't let them wash it ever. They will have some high school kid (or whoever is the lowest paid employee there) use a gritty sponge to put swirl marks all over it.

And wax? Really? Assuming you put wax on your car and not a polymer sealant, why would you let anybody with a grudge give your $60,000.00 car a free wax job. That sounds like a bad idea to me. Maybe you should ask them to shave your ******* while you're at it.

I wish I had better news, but on my one Lexus that did have a 60,000 mile service (an SC400), I do think that most of the things on your list were included. Never let anyone selling you something give you a deadline. Turn and run.

Last edited by tfischer; 05-16-06 at 06:38 AM.
Old 05-15-06, 05:50 PM
minty99z
Pole Position

You obviously didnt read my post.
DO NOT GO BACK TO THAT DEALERSHIP....

They ripped you off. Do you want it to happen again? If you dont, stay away.

If you make enough money to buy that kind of car, I would expect you to be a little smarter when it comes to your money and what you do with it. That place will continue to rip you off. Based on them doing that, I can only imagine what other things they do to "good customers"......
Ask them next time if the **** lube is included in the charges or if its extra....
Old 05-15-06, 11:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

wait a minute, please, first tell me what they did for the 700 bucks you just paid for 60k? don't tell me for 700 bucks on 60k service, they didn't flush the tranny and change the differential. that would be ridiculous.

300 bucks to change brakes that's stupid, but i guess that's normal dealership pricing.
Old 05-16-06, 12:59 AM
sc430blue
Lead Lap

Call up another dealer and ask them what they do for their 60k service. See if it jibes with your dealer.
Old 05-16-06, 09:00 AM
rsa supra
Pole Position

I agree with pretty much everything that everyone else said.... except for using Synthetic ATF. The experince in the Supra community has shown that using Toyota ATF is the only way to go with stock trannies.

It may not matter on the SC with stock HP, but on modified Supras, the trans tends to blow up faster if you don't use T4.
Old 05-16-06, 09:23 AM
howardde
Driver School Candidate

Default Comparison Shopping

So I called the other major dealer in Atlanta for a price quote for the 60,000 mile service. They quoted $695, which INCLUDES all of the "extra recommended services" that my dealership quoted me, including the differential fluid, the transmission fluid, and the coolant drain/refill.

I have a call into the service manager of my dealership and I am waiting to hear back. I naively thought that they would not rip me off, but not that its all done with, I don't know what I paid $667 for! I wonder if I could do a charge-back on my AMEX? I probably don't have grounds to do so, since I signed the estimate, but I am really annoyed now.
Old 05-16-06, 10:02 AM
minty99z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by howardde
So I called the other major dealer in Atlanta for a price quote for the 60,000 mile service. They quoted $695, which INCLUDES all of the "extra recommended services" that my dealership quoted me, including the differential fluid, the transmission fluid, and the coolant drain/refill.

I have a call into the service manager of my dealership and I am waiting to hear back. I naively thought that they would not rip me off, but not that its all done with, I don't know what I paid $667 for! I wonder if I could do a charge-back on my AMEX? I probably don't have grounds to do so, since I signed the estimate, but I am really annoyed now.

No .....you dont say? I told you I worked there for crying out loud! If they dont give you your money back, call AMEX and dispute the charges.....its real easy....Dont be like everyone else in the world that asks for advice, gets it, and then proceeds to do jack **** with it ...
Youre half way there to getting your money back and I assume you are never going back there right??????

RIGHT???????

What do you do for a living?
Old 05-16-06, 10:56 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm curious as to how you feel he's going to get his money back? It was a contract where they agreed to provide a service and you pay for it. Regardless of the quality of service, legally the contract is completed once you sign for the car to be released. His original post stated that he couldn't even tell what was done when he looked at the invoice and agreed to pay for it anyway.

Sounds like you just had a $700 'lube' job and will have to take it as a lesson learned. Now you know to not sign for things you don't understand until you DO understand what you're getting. And avoid that dealer at all costs in the future.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SC430 Costly Service - Please Help!