SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Metal Pedals Installed w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-09, 02:39 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Pedals Finished!

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Funny this thread came back as I just installed pedals in my other car.
Would agree that they really set apart car and a joy to view every time I get into the car. Never had an issue with them on the SC, nice quality units.
Thanks for sharing.
Thanks to you Pearlpower for starting such great threads and sharing your DIY with all of us---I've got your DIY on the 2006+ tails ready to go to!

Okay, pedals are done. A couple of install notes: You'll be kneeling a lot-get something comfy to rest your knees on. Move seat all the way back. Put a rag or something underneath the pedals-the dirty metal shavings do stain your carpet.

Dead pedal-I may move it up a little and play with it. Don't like how the mat covers too much of it, but I noticed others do to, and I may mess with the clips on the mat as well.

e-brake pedal-very hard to get two good holes, so I got just one. It's on there very tight and since it is a limited use pedal, I am not worried.

brake pedal-very hard to drill upper holes. Very small drill would be best, but those are usually lower power. Due to the contour of the pedal the screws will most likely be at a 30 degree angle when finished, but it looks okay IMO.

gas pedal-I tried Pearlpowers suggestion on popping it out, but I couldn't, so I did the install with the pedal on and it was ok. This took the longest by far because the washers/nuts were so hard to get on! I don't have huge hands but I could see where small hands would be great. I started getting so tired and sore that I ended up holding the nut/washer on the backside of the pedal and using the allen wrench to turn the bolt into it and that was a lot easier than doing the tightening from the nut/washer side.

All in all, a couple of hours install time. All I used was a couple of 1/8th drill bits, a few batteries and the hardware included and it was pretty straight forward. Thanks again for PearlPower for this AWESOME idea and DIY instructions made it very easy!!!

PS-sorry about the blur from the passengers side, I wanted to reach over the cabin to take an angle from that side, but my arms were so tired they must have been shaking! lol

Enjoy
Attached Thumbnails Metal Pedals Installed w/pics-pedals1.jpg   Metal Pedals Installed w/pics-pedals2.jpg   Metal Pedals Installed w/pics-pedals3.jpg  
Old 11-23-09, 03:18 PM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^amazing...a true inspiration...trade me your interior
Old 11-23-09, 05:02 PM
scdroptop

IStoSC-lol...i'd mess up something taking it out! I have very rarely had any kind of install on these cars without something not going 100% perfect. I guess that's why they call stuff "aftermarket"...for me they should call it "after-you-mess-it-up".

On that note, I think I am going to tinker with the dead pedal tomorrow. After looking at it some more, I am not crazy about the mat covering up the bottom of it.

Can't wait to dig into the 2006+ tails!
Old 11-23-09, 06:21 PM
scorpio74
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice scdrop! Love those metal pedals! and of course the red carpet, so clean.
Old 11-24-09, 10:00 AM
scdroptop

Update: Moved the dead pedal up, not as secure but it will be ok. I might get some longer screws and mess with it more later, but the look is much better!
Old 11-24-09, 05:42 PM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Which website did your buy from? Thanks, Bob
Old 11-24-09, 06:58 PM
TEXAS83
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yup, which site and how much?
Old 11-24-09, 08:12 PM
scdroptop

Do a search on eBay for SC Lexus Pedals or Lexus Pedals SC and you will see them. There are several sellers from Taiwan, Hong Kong, etc. For some reason (I've been watching these for three years now) they have never been offered in the US. They are good quality, make no mistakes about it. Very nice quality.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=lex...dals&_osacat=0

Mine I bought are here exactly:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LS300...Q5fAccessories

I have no personal benefit from any of these listings, just passing along where I got them. Please check out feedback on all eBayers as you would normally. The one I bought from had 100% feedback and I rec'd in two weeks (above). I believe mrblister got his from them recently as well.
Old 11-25-09, 04:35 AM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Red SC is next on the pedals!
Old 11-25-09, 01:39 PM
scdroptop

cool, PM me when you get 'em in, I've got some install tips for you.
Old 11-26-09, 09:11 AM
antigeek
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by scdroptop
cool, PM me when you get 'em in, I've got some install tips for you.
Ooh, ooh! Me too! (please)
I've got some questions about securing the dead pedal.

I just purchased mine today (with much thanks for the info & link here).
After its 8th birthday on Monday, I'm finally messing with the car.

Happy Turkey Day, all.
Old 11-26-09, 09:36 AM
scdroptop

Great! You'll love them. Mine is instantly faster! LOL Actually for real, the accelerator and brake pedal feel more sporty maybe because of the metal or maybe the little rubber tips-not sure. I remember having the same feeling in my FX35 when I installed the aluminum pedals on it too a few years ago. Not sure, but it feels NICE!

Congrats on buying. Pretty easy install--most time consumption is the drilling.

If you have never as a guy treated yourself to a great drill, now is the time! I had a SKILL 18V drill that was a battery ran unit and even though the batteries would be charged and stay charged, the drill would loose power easily drilling through metal and concrete. NOW...thanks to this install, I have a DeWalt 36V drill that eats through anything and I use my Skill 18V for lighter stuff like wood, etc.

Old 12-26-09, 01:42 PM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Talking pedal covers

SC, Carolyn gave me the pedal covers and the Ingen Intake for Christmass...along with a set of shop manuals which I REALLY appreciate...found out that my wierd "aftershock" over bumps is actually the lower control arm bushings being cracked...which makes sense...so off to the aftermarket Lexus Master Mechanic's shop to have them replaced on Tuesday..hate to spend the $500, but it drives me crazy...car drives so nice now, but always has the "aftershock" over lane change reflectors, or creases in the road....any additional pointers on the pedal cover install would be appreciated...I figure that it will take me several hours to do (I am an absolute pain in the A..perfectionist) to do the covers, and then several hours to do the intake...thank you again very, very much for the info on the tires...ABSOLUTELY LOVE these tires!! Best Wishes, and HAPPY HOLIDAYS, Bob
Old 12-26-09, 01:53 PM
scdroptop

Great news Bob! You'll have some fun installing!

The pedals are really pretty straight forward. You will remove all the covers except for the accelerator plastic underneath which you will drill directly into. I didn't remove the pin on mine, but I was extremely frustrated with the angle and the space I had to work with my drill on that side, so I chose the harder way. If you can get the pin out, that would probably be MUCH easier. I couldn't.

The e-brake is tricky...I suspect the holes are really NOT perfect and this is why I only was able to line up one good screw instead of two. Remember these pedals are generic for many Lexus cars, so this explains why the covers holes are not perfect either. One is a dummy screw just for looks, but the cover is on very tight and does not move at all. Considering we have zero hills in Dallas and I never use the e-brake, I am not concerned!

I bought some red Lexus touch up paint to paint the Lexus logos, but somehow the black paint on them and the red had a chemical reaction and made the black bleed. Then I aborted mission and went with the black original color. mrblister was trying it too...might be a very cool option for you if you can get it done with your red SC.
Old 12-26-09, 02:09 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by scdroptop
It's been three and a half years but I've saved this post along with my aluminum pedals to install that I never did on my last 02 red/ecru SC. Just finished 3/4 pedals tonight on my 2005 PB and I am very pleased with the quality, look and install procedures. Thanks to PearlPower for starting this great thread and inspiring us all to do this mod.

Attached are some pics. Finished product hopefully tomorrow. I have a 18V battery powered drill and my hands/arms are sore like crazy from drilling.

I may have some small issues to correct: E-Brake pedal has only one screw because I couldn't get the holes to line up on that small of a surface to drill and be straight. It doesn't move and is very tight (not like you use this pedal regularly anyway) so I am not too worried. The dead pedal bottom right screw doesn't seem like it is drilled into anything and I can pull it out with my hands. Other screws on the dead pedal are very secure but this one is not. I may try a longer screw or some lock tight or something.

This set is a very nice quality, inexpensive upgrade and another way to modernize your SC with other performance luxury cars today.
I love that color interior!

Quick Reply: Metal Pedals Installed w/pics