SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

New project: INJEN intake/SRT ECU combo

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-06, 10:03 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Exclamation New project: INJEN intake/SRT ECU combo

Though I am satisfied with the performance of the SC430 with the new mods, one thing that has kept itching at me was that SRT intake which I am not very fond of because of the fit which it not that great( especially on the SC430) and 2 piece design which is outclassed by the one piece units out there. As the stock SRT heat shield does not fit the SC430 , the only means of securing the intake is the coupler at the throttle body which tends to wear after a while-at least mine did.. But I do enjoy the performance.
So......what to do?
I went ahead and picked up an Injen intake (shield coming soon) and installed it this evening. First thing I did was compare the SRT to the Injen. The SRT weighs in about 2.5-3 times heavier vs the Injen as the material is very heavy duty on the SRT.A bit too heavy duty for any intake IMO. This particular Injen is powder coated black (shield coming is polished) and looks great. There is no doubt the Injen has a smoother more modern look . The Injen also has a bracket which allows the unit to be secured to the water outlet. Very nice. It comes comes with a bracket to secure the OBD sensor which the SRT does not. The Injen has 3 different sized nipples that match the sizes on the car vs the SRT which has 2 sizes only. The chose clamps supplied with the Injen is also much beefier than the SRT clamps.

What I like the most is that the Injen is shorter vs the SRT and fits perfectly in the SC430 engine bay vs the SRT which is very very tight and rubs.

Plus the Injen is CARB approved in California! Of course the ECU is not.

But does it perform as well as the SRT?

Once installed I reset the computer and went for a test drive.

So..................how does the Injen intake work with the SRT ECU?

Stay tuned as I drive some more.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 08-28-06 at 01:16 AM.
Old 03-31-06, 10:19 PM
BC-GS430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to know what the results are, as I've been thinking of switching to Injen intake too. Partitally due to it having a CARB sticker, and keeping the SRT ecu.
Old 04-01-06, 11:55 AM
Radical350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Great idea, I think those of us who have the SRT have considered the same thing. As usual you are the pioneer. Can't wait to here the detailed results of your test-drives.

TC? What brand would you suggest?
Dragon, Level10, Rebuilt???
Is this a good option?
Lextreme
Only $350.00
Old 04-01-06, 03:23 PM
GEE-BEE
Pole Position

Default intake

I think that area has too much heat for a intake , we need a ram-air hood or a duct going into a air housing from a cooler air than behind the radiator .

Gee-Bee
Old 04-01-06, 03:46 PM
Radical350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GEE-BEE
I think that area has too much heat for a intake , we need a ram-air hood or a duct going into a air housing from a cooler air than behind the radiator.
This particular Injen is powder coated black (shield coming is polished) and looks great.
Pearl what heat shield is coming? Custom? Or is it from Injen?
Old 04-01-06, 04:18 PM
powmax
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For me this modification in combination with the BLITZ Intake works great...

regards
marcus
Old 04-01-06, 08:21 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1TYTESC
This particular Injen is powder coated black (shield coming is polished) and looks great.
Pearl what heat shield is coming? Custom? Or is it from Injen?

It is a polished Injen heat shield. It only wraps around half of the filter and is more for looks than anything as it does look sharp. I did remove the rubber rear headlight cover which allows a great deal of cool air to enter the air filter area. I am trying for a nice clean professional look.

I am pleased with the sound so far. Good idle. Quieter than the SRT. Performance wise I will post back later with results. Worse case I may just get a tunable AFC for this Injen and get another dyno.

Lee
Old 04-03-06, 11:12 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

OK, some subjective opinions and some facts.

1) DOES NOT work well with SRT ECU. Issue at hand is the fuel mixture is off in some spots with the Injen intake as the SRT intake and Injen have different flow characteristics and produce power in different areas in the power band. Codes came on and some odd shifting occurred. This is with headers on as well of course. Full throttle did feel the same between the two. Cruising felt the same ,just quieter with the Injen. Mid range throttle is where all of the issues came up.

2) Removal of SRT ECU and using Injen intake with headers produced a very smooth power band and I am able to hit the redline with no drop off that the SRT intake produced and backed up with the dynos in another thread. The Injen also has a stronger low end vs the SRT which makes sense as the SRT piping is huge vs. the Injen piping.

3) Power wise based on opinion only and G-Tech. Best 0-60 is 5.69. Prior with SRT was 5.67. Did not have a chance to run the quarter which would really split any differences if present. I may dyno it once I fabricate a nice new OEM looking heat shield box once I receive the Injen polished filter wrap.

For now I am going to keep in the Injen on based on the fit and finish (The fit is flawless) and smooth power delivery. SRT did not have this though the SRT produces more power which can be felt in the midrange.

For comparisons sake the Blitz SUS intake (filter) I had seemed to flatten out at around 3000 RPM which was noticeable and picked up right afterwards to redline. I did not have headers with the Blitz though so make your own conclusions.

An option for anyone looking for an intake, you can get Injen clones on Ebay for under $100.00. That kit does not come with the CARB exemption or L-shaped sensor bracket but the pipe is the same. Just search for sc430 intake. I am not referring to the Weapon R intakes which I stay away from based on prior experience.

Lee

Last edited by Pearlpower; 04-03-06 at 11:17 AM.
Old 04-03-06, 11:31 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this says alot about the quality of injen, nice review
Old 04-03-06, 05:07 PM
bazop
Rookie

Great write up- I've had the same intake on my gs430 for about a year now with no complaints. I was wondering, what are (and how) you going to fab the shield with? I don't have a shield on mine and have wondered if a shield would make a difference but didn't know how to go about it. I found a used SRT shield on ebay for 10 bucks but couldn't get it to fit because the injen pipe angles down at the end, where the pics of the SRT looks like the pipe is straight all the way across. Thanks.
Old 04-10-06, 10:21 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Just a couple of pics of the Injen heat shield installed. Built quality is superb.

Old 04-12-06, 12:38 PM
Radical350
Lexus Test Driver

Lee,
Is it from Injen? Or custom? How do I order one?
Old 04-12-06, 01:24 PM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lee,

the shield is from injen, though I am not sure it would fit well over the SRT filter since the piping is larger. I had one for my old injen intake and it was about $20
Old 04-12-06, 01:30 PM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I have the same setup.
Bought it about two yrs ago.

This is where I bought it.
The price is cheaper now. I paid like $50 something plus shipping at that time.

Old 04-14-06, 08:53 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Lee,
The heatshield can fit various size filters as it is adjustable so it should fit the SRT no problem. IF you have the room as that SRT intake is very tight. I picked this one up from AJUSA.com. Took a couple of days to my door.
Lee

Quick Reply: New project: INJEN intake/SRT ECU combo