SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

DVD update self install?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-06, 10:22 AM
JTMav
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DVD update self install?

Have been quoted $250.00 for the updated DVD. One stealership wanted $100.00 for installation. Am I wrong in assuming installation is nothing more than pushing the eject button and removing the old, replacing with the new disc. They gave me some story that the Lexus computer was needed to complete the installation.

I appreciate the guidance (sorry for the pun, can't help it sometimes )

JTMav
Old 01-13-06, 10:24 AM
MNPine

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just received the 2005 Nav system update for the 2002-2004 SC 430 from Sewell. Very easy to install (just follow Sewell Lexus on line instructions). The price was much lower than my local dealer ($259 + $10) and it took about a minute or two to complete the whole thing. I've heard Lexus wants $100 for the installation?? I checked the version and it appears to be right. V.05.1.

This is from another active thread called 2005 Nav Update - unhappy so far
The following users liked this post:
JohnSenior (03-02-22)
Old 01-13-06, 11:29 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by JTMav
Have been quoted $250.00 for the updated DVD. One stealership wanted $100.00 for installation. Am I wrong in assuming installation is nothing more than pushing the eject button and removing the old, replacing with the new disc. They gave me some story that the Lexus computer was needed to complete the installation.

JTMav
tell them to stop their ridiculous BS and go get a life. i really hate it when dealership is talking smack and just try to rip people off

just take out the disc and put in the new one and make sure you don't cut any power during the update process. that should be good enough!
Old 01-13-06, 11:33 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

So is this the latest update as promised for this year? Or is another coming out shortly?
Lee
Old 01-13-06, 11:45 AM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

Updates are once a year at the most, so there will not be another one soon.

As far as installation goes, if you are still using ver 1, then using this new data disc (which is ver 5) will update the OS itself. (Ver 2 and later all do this.) During that update, you have to be sure to keep the system operating, (keep it on, with the engine running) in accordance with the big warning that will pop up on the screen.

I installed ver 2 a few years ago, skipped 3 and 4, and installed ver 5 yesterday. There really is no "update" portion, since the OS was updated when I moved to ver 2. I just swapped the discs. I did note, however, that the new data was not accessible until I shut off the engine and started the system again, but since there was no warning on the screen, eventually I did that.

Once updated, the new OS will not read the old ver 1 data disc, but I presume that my system would read the ver 2 data disc if I put it in, although I can't imagine why I would do that.

Even with the OS update when moving up from version 1, there is no reason to pay the dealer to "install" the new disc. As noted above, Sewell has a nice instruction document on its web page on how to do this for the different Lexus models. If you already have ver 2 or higher, there seems to be nothing that could go wrong, as it simply provides a different database for the system to read when it needs map and POI data.
Old 01-13-06, 11:48 AM
sexylexysc430
Driver

Originally Posted by JTMav

JTMav
JTMav- I noticed you're from MA too...which dealership was this? I'd like to know so that I NEVER go to that dealership for service. $100 is just a plain rip-off to eject the old DVD and put the new one in.
Old 01-13-06, 12:03 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks, was not sure if this was last years update for this years. I just got off the phone with my Lexus mgr buddy and he has it in stock. I will only add that it can be had for substantially less than the $250.00 quoted elsewhere.
Lee
Old 01-13-06, 12:19 PM
JTMav
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sexylexysc430
JTMav- I noticed you're from MA too...which dealership was this? I'd like to know so that I NEVER go to that dealership for service. $100 is just a plain rip-off to eject the old DVD and put the new one in.
Lexus of Norwood. Herb Chambers company and run pretty typical of his chain of stores. There just seems to be a smarminess about them. Lexus of Watertown quoted me $250 for the disc and that was it. They would install it if I wanted but the parts guy said it was a straightforward install. Thanks for the Sewell link, I printed it and it couldn't be easier.

JTMav
Old 01-13-06, 12:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Thanks, was not sure if this was last years update for this years. I just got off the phone with my Lexus mgr buddy and he has it in stock. I will only add that it can be had for substantially less than the $250.00 quoted elsewhere.
Lee
lee, i thought roads around your area should be pretty well covered already?
Old 01-13-06, 12:32 PM
MNPine

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where do we find it for less than $250?
Old 01-13-06, 12:32 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
lee, i thought roads around your area should be pretty well covered already?

Henry, they keep building around me. New roads. More traffic. More cars.More people. More noise. Besides it's more for the areas I am not familiar with.
Old 01-13-06, 12:41 PM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MNPine
where do we find it for less than $250?

you cant thats the lowest price right now. give it a year and it will pop up on ebay for 150
Old 01-13-06, 12:47 PM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

Although we may know the roads in our area, they do change all the time and you never know when someone is going to give you a new address for a new house on a road that was not there last year.

In my case, just locally the interchange between two major interstates was changed over the last several years so that now, when heading west toward the interchange, Northbound exits on the Left and Southbound on the Right, which is just opposite of the way you would expect and, more importantly, just opposite of the way it used to be. So my old data disc would always direct me to the right lanes if northbound, for example, which would put me going in the wrong direction if I had followed it.

Besides, although I don't always use the NAV in familiar territory, I always want it when "on the road," which is when you want the newest information for new roads and accurate POI data. (See above example.) I have already checked the new data for places (on trips I take to Atlanta and to Raleigh) where I know the old data gave me bad or incomplete information on roads due to new construction. The new disc is now accurate which will save me a lot of hastle. I hate it when the map shows that I am driving across what looks like an empty pasture.

Updating every year at several hundred dollars is a lot, but updating every several years seems to me to be a wise thing to do.
Old 01-13-06, 12:59 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tonydt1g3r
you cant thats the lowest price right now. give it a year and it will pop up on ebay for 150
Depends on your relationship with your Lexus part person. The standard discount to shops is 20 off retail . So 20% off 250 is 200.00 and goes from there. Does not mean you have to be a shop, but.....like I said your not going to get that price or a better one if your a stranger to the Lexus parts man which is why it is a good idea to build a very good rapport with him/her.
Old 01-17-06, 02:26 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

sorry guys i had to remove couple of posts, because the content was inappropriate. spyderdude, we do not allow any discussion on pirated software here so please understand. thanks.

Quick Reply: DVD update self install?