SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

How to disable tire-pressure monitoring (TPM) system?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-05, 05:59 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
lee, try my methods man, you will thank me even the light would be gone
Thanks Henry. I might later, but I would rather not bypass the tps if I do not have it and intend to put the tps back on my new rims. Just need some time. Light does not bother me but that damn beeping was annoying. only thing holding me back is that a good quality wheel/tire shop is very scarce or non existent in So Cal. Usually a bunch of incompent kids on their first job. You know my history with tires man so I need sensors.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 12-03-05 at 06:20 PM.
Old 12-03-05, 09:17 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Default You guys are lucky today!

OK, well as things turned out I needed to remove the top garnish along with everything else to get to the ashtray assembly in order to speed up the door. I never liked how slow Lexus ashtray doors are slow to open. I know but hey, that is the benefit on owning such a reliable car. You work on the little things. Door is now super fast to open.
Anyway, I took some pics while in there of the plugs Henry discussed up top. I tried it and it worked like a charm. Easy to get to and the shift **** was left intact during the process. Thanks Henry/Todd.
Enjoy
Lee
The following 2 users liked this post by Pearlpower:
Razr (05-24-19), rocky5 (11-18-23)
Old 12-04-05, 12:56 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

wow thanks for the pic lee, that's awesome!!!! it can't be clearer
Old 12-04-05, 01:03 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

wow thanks for the pic lee, that's awesome!!!! it can't be clearer

HE HE, I wanted to avoid any confusion.
Old 12-04-05, 02:58 PM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks, you guys.
It only took me 5 minutes.
If you have small hands like I do, you don't even need to screw off the shifter.

Edit: The 3rd photo is from a JDM soarer, but you get the idea.

Last edited by talwang; 02-11-08 at 02:48 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by talwang:
hinman (08-10-18), SGB4570 (08-21-23)
Old 12-31-05, 01:11 PM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok I took out these two now I cant take out the radio I took out the two 10mm bolts underneath the radio but cant figure out how to take out the two on top.
Old 01-01-06, 11:04 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

well you don't need to take out the radio.... it's BELOW the radio
The following users liked this post:
gbdad (09-26-18)
Old 01-01-06, 07:04 PM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

well you don't need to take out the radio.... it's BELOW the radio

I wanted to take it out for other reasons
Old 02-07-06, 09:02 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hans ****
I'd like to share my frastrating TPM experience with you and want to find a simple way to have TPM disabled.

when I had my OEM rims replaced by aftermarket ones, a damaged TPM sensor was found and I have to replace it. When a sensor was missing, the car beeps 5 times for every 2 and a half minutes and tire pressure warnning light keeps flashing.

I called up a lexus dealer to check on the price. It costs about $200 before tax for one sensor. I did not like dealer's price and luckly enought I found the parts from Internet and it costs about $100. After sensor was installed back to my car, the beeping and flashing wont go away. I went back to dealer and thought that must be a simple setup thing, but it turned out that they have to unmount all four tires in order to have the code for each sensor so that they could reprogram the controller. They need 4 hour to do that. The labor cost is $85-$150 per hour so it's running at $340-$600 to get controller reprogrammed. I still could not understand why they need to reprogram 4 instead of 1 since I only have one new sensor.

I did ask them few more questions reagrding to the sensor itself and here are what I learned

The sensor is not a passive part, it have a battery built-in. The battery can only last 4 years! Flat battery can not be changed since it's built-in, meaning that when battery is run out, the sensor has to be replaced! I could not believe lexus would use such a fatal product on SC430.

I wanted to have TPM system disabled but they told me there could be a way to do it but they wont do it for me because by "law" I have to have it. I don't care about the "law" and once I know how to disable it I'll go for it.

BTW, there are four different color coded sensors. when order sensor from Internet thay need to know the color.

The service writer at lexus told me something entirely different today. I have an extra set of 4 TPS sensors and asked him to set them before I mounted them on the car and he said that you have to mount the sensors inside the rim first them put them up to 60psi and program them that way. Is this true or am I going to mount the sensors and be screwed?
Old 02-12-06, 05:15 PM
SC430icand
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Very easy to disable you TPM

I just disabled my TPM system by following some of the instruction on this thread. At first I was very skeptical about pulling anything off because of fear that some of the clips might break. As it turned out, it was very easy. Here are the detailed instructions.

1. Put on emergency brake just in case you're on an incline because you will need to put the shifter on 2-L
2. Open the console - both the top cover and the tray
3. Using your thumbs, placed them on the back portion of the small panel for the seat heater switches. Push or pull up. Once the back come off, grab the panel and giggle a little bit while pulling up - not too hard. Disconnect the electrical plug from the back.
4. Wih the panel for the seat heater switches off, you will see two clips holding down the wood panel around the shifter. I pushed the two clips up (just to make sure there's no strain on the clips) while pulling up the panel slowly.
5. Once the back potion of the wood panel is off, giggle left/right a little bit while pulling the panel towards the back - to disenage the two clips right below the radio. There are two "claws" on the left and right side of the panel. This is why you lift a bit while pulling back.
6. Once the wood panel is off. place a rag underneath (to prevent scratches) and pull back as far as the two wiring harnesses will allow. If your hands are small, you can reach for the two plugs on the TPM unit right below the radio (picture in this thread). Pull/disconnect the plug.
7. Reinstall the wood panel by with the front clips (below the radio) first the do the reverse, i.e., push forward while pushing down.
8. Reconnect the plug of the seat heater and resintall the small panel.

That's it!

sc430icand
The following users liked this post:
bcopeland (03-31-20)
Old 02-16-06, 05:44 AM
clubaddict
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is there any way to get aftermarket wheels to be fully compatible with the sensors like the stock wheels? id rather not disable a safety feature like this on my car...
Old 02-16-06, 05:54 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by clubaddict
is there any way to get aftermarket wheels to be fully compatible with the sensors like the stock wheels? id rather not disable a safety feature like this on my car...

I feel the same way. I got these $400 sensors as well as the system in the car I rather use them then not. After riding on low profile tires for over 5 years I know that if I had a tire pressure sensor I would have been more safe and probally saved a tire or 2. That is why I am going to put them in my aftermarket rims.

What I have found out is that some rims come with these large metal bands, they look like plummers clamps but really large. I am going to combine this with some 3m double sided tape and stick this inside my rim.

I called tirerack about 2 weeks ago and they only had 2 bands in stock and said they werent going to get another shipment for a month or 2.

So I found another place that had them in stock but I had to buy a box of 10 so if anyone needs a set of these metal bands let me know. You can email me at tonydt1g3r@aol.com
Old 06-27-06, 05:09 PM
IcEnPinKi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

no pics here, but instructions.

- put shifter on N, screw off shifter
- open up center console
- pull the whole heated seat module straight up, it will come up. disconnect
- you will be able to pull up the "back" part of the shift plate area (close to center console)
- once it's up, the only point holding it are two clips right below the radio
- pull the shift plate towards the back of the car and a bit angle up. jiggle a bit and it will come off
- once it's out, you will see the TPS unit right below the radio
- unplug BOTH plugs, one small on the right and one bigger one on the left
- put everything back and enjoy

courtesy of todd of tm engineering, where i learned this information from
rominl YOU ARE DA MAN!
Old 06-27-06, 09:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by IcEnPinKi
rominl YOU ARE DA MAN!
you are welcome, hope it works for you too
Old 06-28-06, 02:01 PM
IcEnPinKi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you are welcome, hope it works for you too
Finally got rid of the annoying flashing lights and sounds. Was easy just like you said.

Quick Reply: How to disable tire-pressure monitoring (TPM) system?