SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Project SC430: Part 1:Daizen sway bars

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-05, 10:18 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Project SC430: Part 1:Daizen sway bars

Installed my Daizen sways today and wanted to post some impressions of the kit, install, and drive.

First off the kit came from TMengineering.com. Prompt shipping and packaged well. Thanks Todd.

Specs for the kit are as follows as they are not usually posted.
Stock front sway bar 26mm, Daizen front 32mm.
Stock rear sway bar 13mm, Daizen front is 19mm.

Plus I really like the fact that the rear is adjustable which is critical in tuning an suspension.

See pic below.

Install time took 3 hours as I took my time and also completed an oil change to synthetic.

Instructions are on one sheet and are acceptable. For the front sway, one needs to twist the OEM sway bar link 180 degrees. Do not remove to flip it around, just rotate the thing so that the bolt that connects to the sway bar is pointing towards the rear of the car. See pic. I like the bushings that come with the kit as they are ribbed to hold in the grease. The kit does come with 4 packages of grease. Usually I use my synthetic grease but I figure I would just try the supplied stuff to see how long it works for. 4 packages is more than enough for this kit. 3 would do actually so it is nice to see some overkill.

Front is pretty straight forward and simple to complete.

Now the rear is a bit more involved as the body braces and exhaust are in the way.
Keep i mind that I have the Blitz exhaust and stock MAY be different.

I highly recommend lowering the rear exhaust mufflers and also the two center body braces between the bumper and differential. It will make your life easy.

Also the OEM links on each side need to be removed and flipped around so that the bolt is pointing toward the tire. Comes damn close the coil spring but there was not issue of rubbing.Now these links are VERY tight and almost impossible to reinstall. Removing the lower shock bolt will allow easier installation.
See pic.

I used the center location for the install to start.

We went immediately out to Palm Springs to look at some Thomas Kinkade art work which is a solid 75 mile each way trip. Gorgeous out there today- 90 degrees and clear. Good lunch and only one other SC430 out there-a nice white one. Tons of run of the mill 3 series that blend like Civics and a few old Benz along with an unassuming 545 lowered on stock wheels. . Even in Palm Springs this car garnered attention like a shaved buffalo on roller skates.
Car was solid and the first thing I noticed was the ride is still as comfy as before however body roll was reduced dramatically as expected from larger sway bars. I did not have a chance to really hit corners in the car to ascertain any oversteer/understeer but that will come shortly. I did notice that the car instills much more confidence at high speed vs stock and in my opinion is the way this car should have come from Lexus stock as I noticed no adverse effects of the swap.

For the money this kit is worth it and a nice addition to the SC430 IMO.

Next up: Either Tom's spoiler install or Toms strut brace or Tein CSS or custom SRT intake or headers. Looking for a LSD 3.76
Lee

Last edited by Pearlpower; 10-23-05 at 11:40 PM.
Old 10-23-05, 11:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

wow, very nice review lee, and thank you so much for the pics! i am glad that you like those sways, they are definitely good stuff that i think all sc430 owners should have

thanks for the pics and the reminder that all owners should have the end links flipped. that's a must unless you want to kill those end links.... don't want to go into details, let's just say i had my share of stories to tell....

and i really appreciate the pic of your rear setup with stock springs. my car had the tein cs installed at the same time so i had no way to prove to someone that the rear endlinks have to be flipped as well so it doesn't hit the stock springs

a picture speaks a million words... i just hope all shops and mechanics out there get the instructions clearly and pay attention during the install

big again lee
Old 10-23-05, 11:26 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

It was simple Henry, I followed the instructions. I did read your write up. Hope all is well now.
Lee
Old 10-23-05, 11:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

thanks lee, i am just trying thard to forget what happened.

but able to see more members enjoying the car with nice mods, i am happy

btw, just don't push it too hard with the stock wheels and tires, they are some really crappy stuff.

when i had my tein cs and daizen sways with my stock wheels, they wheels had NO traction on corners....... i was sliding
Old 10-24-05, 01:46 AM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad it worked out for you! You are already known to be 10 rungs above the typical home mechanic though

On the right rear end link, the nut and stud end up close to the spring during installation, but once the car is lowered back to anything close to normal ride height, it moves away a pretty considerable amount. I was worried too the first time I saw this, but it ended up being a non-issue.

This grease is a very waterproof synthetic, it won't go away with water or with temperature, so I wouldn't recommend anything else, but you can play around and see how it goes with anything else, I haven't had much luck with anything other than the stuff they come with. Also be sure to use a dab of threadlock on the end links, especially the rear. Those tend to come loose with the more aggressive driving.

Let me know on the CS, that is a great combination with these bars!
Old 10-24-05, 01:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

there are really a lot of useful information in this thread for all sc430 owners who wannt get sways!

come to think about it, i don't know what kind of settings i have for my rear sway bar, should check it out since i got 10.5 in the back now rather than stock!