SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Tip for removing chewing gum

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-05, 01:49 PM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tip for removing chewing gum

The weather in the D.C. area has been nice all week, so today I decided to take the SC to work with the top down. Arrived home, put the car in the garage, did the walk-around, and noticed a HUGE wad of gum smeared on the left front fender. I was able to get most of the gum off with a paper towel because the car was still very warm. I then put a few drops of Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover on a moist paper towel and, with little effort, wiped off the residue. Sprayed a little "Detailer's Polish" on the area, wiped it, and it was good as new! I have had the Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover since `99, and knew that it worked great on road tar; so, I figured that it would easily take care of chewing gum.
Old 09-09-05, 01:59 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

Thanks for the tip! Does this stuff work on tree sap too?

Also, I've got adhesive marks that are probably 6-7 years old on the roof of my SC3, the guy before me had a roof rack on it . The marks are STILL there and I've been unable to get them off with multiple adhesive removers (goo gone, goof off, WD-40). Do you think this turtle wax stuff will work? I don't want to buy it if it won't work , i guess there is only one way to find out.
Old 09-09-05, 05:54 PM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NYLexSC
Thanks for the tip! Does this stuff work on tree sap too?

Also, I've got adhesive marks that are probably 6-7 years old on the roof of my SC3, the guy before me had a roof rack on it . The marks are STILL there and I've been unable to get them off with multiple adhesive removers (goo gone, goof off, WD-40). Do you think this turtle wax stuff will work? I don't want to buy it if it won't work , i guess there is only one way to find out.
It's certainly worth a try. I bought it back in `99 when I owned a `99 White GS300. I had just returned from a drive to Annapolis when I notices flecks of tar along both sides of the car. Drove to the dealer to see if they knew how to remove the stuff - they didn't - I then drove to the auto supply shop and, there, was told to use the Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover. The stuff really works and doesn't damage the finish. So, I guess what I'm really saying is that it's probably a good idea to have this around.
Old 09-09-05, 09:13 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

Thanks, I will pick some up next time I drive past Pep Boys.
Old 09-13-05, 12:31 PM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To get that gum off of any surface, hold an ice cube on it and let it get hard, then chip it away. Works on gum in hair, clothes, carpet, etc.
Old 09-14-05, 02:36 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chicagoblknazn
To get that gum off of any surface, hold an ice cube on it and let it get hard, then chip it away. Works on gum in hair, clothes, carpet, etc.
Have you actually tried this technique on a car? First, I can't imagine holding an ice cube that long; second, I'm not going to "chip away" anything that stuck on the paint. I actually had a chance to test this technique when my wife had gum stuck on the sole of her shoe. Let me tell you, that "hold the ice" thing takes forever and makes a mess (ice melts)! To make that theory work I would have been better off putting the shoe in the freezer. I ended up scraping away as much as I could and then used sandpaper to remove the rest.
Old 09-14-05, 05:17 AM
camillian
Lead Lap

i am in the Property Management business.
When we have chewing gum in our carpets we use a product called "Freezex" It may go by another name. Basically you spray it on and wait a minute, The gum freezes and becomes brittle. Then you use a dull object like a spoon and just scrape it off It works great and we have never had a problem with it effecting color. You can buy it from any janitorial supply store.
Old 09-14-05, 06:40 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LeslieRC
Have you actually tried this technique on a car? First, I can't imagine holding an ice cube that long; second, I'm not going to "chip away" anything that stuck on the paint. I actually had a chance to test this technique when my wife had gum stuck on the sole of her shoe. Let me tell you, that "hold the ice" thing takes forever and makes a mess (ice melts)! To make that theory work I would have been better off putting the shoe in the freezer. I ended up scraping away as much as I could and then used sandpaper to remove the rest.
It worked on getting gum off the roof of my car, my chrome wheels and my little nephews hair. You don't have to hold the ice forever, just long enough to make the gum brittle, and if the cars paint is protected by wax or polish, it won't stick much at all.....but such is life.

Good luck.
Old 09-14-05, 10:56 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chicagoblknazn
It worked on getting gum off the roof of my car, my chrome wheels and my little nephews hair. You don't have to hold the ice forever, just long enough to make the gum brittle, and if the cars paint is protected by wax or polish, it won't stick much at all.....but such is life.

Good luck.
When I used the Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover it only took a couple of seconds to wipe the gum and gum residue off.
Old 09-17-05, 04:35 AM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LeslieRC
When I used the Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover it only took a couple of seconds to wipe the gum and gum residue off.
yes iam sure it did but the bug and tar remover also removed any wax you had in that area
Old 09-17-05, 04:45 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexusondubs
yes iam sure it did but the bug and tar remover also removed any wax you had in that area
No it didn't. Turtle Wax's Bug and Tar Remover doesn't remove the wax.