SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

New tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-05, 12:57 PM
tyLuurrr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New tires

I have come to the conclusion that I must switch out the runflats on my new 2005. The ride quality is almost unbearable on rough pavement.

So here's my next dilemma: What tires should I buy? Comfort, quietness and ride quality are my priorities. I don't need sporty tires. I would prefer all-seasons.

Can someone recommend a tire for the SC that offers optimal comfort, quietness and ride quality?

THANKS!!
Old 05-05-05, 01:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

a lot of people go with the michillen pilot sport. that's great tires, but imho that's way too expensive for normal use, and especially that you don't look for superb performance

i have the pzero nero and i love it. you can ask lxogood about it too (andi have this on my 20"). it's very soft, quiet, and reasonable handling. it's not the best handling tires i have had but i am willing to get the ride quality. and most of all, the price is very reasonable too

the pzero nero is high performance tires but i am very happy with it. if you want the pzero model that's not high performace you can find them on tirerack, tons of reviews there too
Old 05-05-05, 01:09 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Michelin Pilot Sports a/s or PS2

Look at this thread for comparison

Last edited by Gojirra99; 05-05-05 at 01:12 PM.
Old 05-05-05, 10:16 PM
SC430icand
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up I would go with the Michelin Pilot

You can't go wrong with the Michelin Pilots. PS2 or A/S, it's only a matter of preference. Depending on where you live (seasons) and how you intend to use you car may influence your decision.

I also posted some data on TPS, wheels, and Run Flats... Check out this thread
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=161499

Good luck!

SC430icand
Old 05-16-05, 12:42 AM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had this dilemma as of last october but for a different reason. my ls 430 was going to 18 inch rims and I wanted a better all season tire since I too live in massachusetts and did not want to deal with winter tire changeover. I was all set to go with the pilot sport a/s but then I asked the guys [brandon] at tire rack about the continental extreme contact and how it rated and he said it was an excellent choice. and it is. its less expensive and has very good traction in the snow which we got a lot of last winter as you know. its very quiet and gives my car a 'planted' stance and still an excellent ride. the dealer had put terrible mxv4 michelins on when I bought it in august and those tires are terrible because of their loudness and terrible traction in the wet. the comfort difference I have noticed is that you know those annoying irregular 'tar' strips we seem to have in mass? on the 17s that were on when I bought it you couldnt feel ANYTHING on the road. with these continental 18s you can barely feel those strips but you still get the creamy ride with no noise. now obviously the ls is a different car than the sc but you should consider those tires in your quest since they are available in the sc size and a much lower price than the michelins and with comparable performance all around. I am reading these posts in this particular forum because I have a bad lust for the sc and will drive one soon to decide whether I keep my ls or go for the sc. ride issues are a big deal to me. having traded an 04 tl for my current car the improvement in ride quality with the same 45 aspect ratio tires is amazing. and the tl had the craptastic mxv4s on it too.
Old 05-17-05, 05:14 AM
Joe Peters
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3
I 'm so happy with these Tires. Check this link for the whole story.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...romCompare1=yes
We bought our 2002 SC430 certified pre owned and the 1st owner had the good
since to put these on the car. Traction is great wet or dry and what a comfortable
ride yet handles great & Very Quiet. Read the story about how this tire was designed
in Europe for Sports and GT Cars. Yes I have a spare and some time we put the top
up when we go to the grocery store then there is lots of room in the trunk.
We took a road (1500 miles rt) trip to the Gulf coast of Mississippi 6 weeks ago.
By the time we got from Ft Worth to Shreveport and stopped for gas I noticed some-
thing shiny in the rt fr tire (center of the tread). It turned out to be a screw. We drove
the rest of the way and had it repaired with a plug the next day at a local tire shop.
They didn't even have to take the tire off the car. 10 bucks! I can't complain.
The best part about the tires is the price, 200+@ tirerack. The second best part
is the sexy tread pattern. I turn the wheels all the way one direction when parked
and get compliments not only on the car but the tires too.
Old 05-17-05, 11:25 AM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Peters
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3
I 'm so happy with these Tires. Check this link for the whole story.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...romCompare1=yes
We bought our 2002 SC430 certified pre owned and the 1st owner had the good
since to put these on the car. Traction is great wet or dry and what a comfortable
ride yet handles great & Very Quiet. Read the story about how this tire was designed
in Europe for Sports and GT Cars. Yes I have a spare and some time we put the top
up when we go to the grocery store then there is lots of room in the trunk.
We took a road (1500 miles rt) trip to the Gulf coast of Mississippi 6 weeks ago.
By the time we got from Ft Worth to Shreveport and stopped for gas I noticed some-
thing shiny in the rt fr tire (center of the tread). It turned out to be a screw. We drove
the rest of the way and had it repaired with a plug the next day at a local tire shop.
They didn't even have to take the tire off the car. 10 bucks! I can't complain.
The best part about the tires is the price, 200+@ tirerack. The second best part
is the sexy tread pattern. I turn the wheels all the way one direction when parked
and get compliments not only on the car but the tires too.

the only problem with your suggestion is that tylurr will see snow unless he garages his car. and believe me wet does not equal massachusetts snow.