SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Back of Front Seat Rubs Against Back Seat - Squeaky

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-05, 03:08 PM
howardde
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back of Front Seat Rubs Against Back Seat - Squeaky

I am a little over 6' 1" tall, so I have to put my front seat pretty far back so I have enough leg room. The problem is, the back of the seat is rubbing on the seat of the backseats creating a squeak every time I even slightly move. (I have owned the car abt 6 weeks)

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what did you do to solve this? I was thinking I could put leather conditioner on the back seats and hope that it would silently squeak because it would then be lubricated. I bought the Lexus cleaner and conditioner for leather but haven't used it yet.

Also, I kinda worry about pushing the seat against the back seat so much because I'm afraid its ruining the back seat (you can't even stick your fingers between the two seats because its so tight now). Any thoughts? Should I even care as I never use the back seat?
Old 05-03-05, 04:37 PM
benxd
Lead Lap

Try putting a cloth between them? I wouldn't worry much since the back seat is basically a storage bin.
Old 05-03-05, 11:15 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the leather conditioner sounds like a good idea. i would try that first. it'll also prevent the leather from getting too beat up if it's rubbing all the time. i've tried that lexus cleaner stuff (don't know who makes it), but it works pretty well and doesn't make the leather look all greasy (hate that!). i don't know if it will resolve the squeak, but it's defin worth a shot.
Old 05-03-05, 11:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

umm, is it only in the later yrs? coz' on my sc430, if my seats are inclined a lot and i start pushing it back, at certain point the seat will incline up to avoid rubbing against the rear seat. basically it will go in such a way that they don't rub

is it only in later yrs?
Old 05-04-05, 11:18 AM
howardde
Driver School Candidate

Default Not Later years

My SC 430 is a 2002 model. The seat goes back as far as it will go and doesn't move up or angle to prevent hitting the rear seat. In fact, I can push it all the way back and it will dent in the seat part of the rear seat.

The sqeaking is really annoying though (and I'm tired of having to turn my music way up to cover it up). I'll try the leather conditioner this weekend and see if that solves it.
Old 05-04-05, 01:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by howardde
My SC 430 is a 2002 model. The seat goes back as far as it will go and doesn't move up or angle to prevent hitting the rear seat. In fact, I can push it all the way back and it will dent in the seat part of the rear seat.

The sqeaking is really annoying though (and I'm tired of having to turn my music way up to cover it up). I'll try the leather conditioner this weekend and see if that solves it.
ummm i am not sure if leather conditioner will help, it will probably be just the same

putting a piece of towel or cloth will help though, i think. but there is no way you can incline up the seat a bit?
Old 08-27-07, 01:51 PM
jrj102
Rookie

Originally Posted by howardde
I am a little over 6' 1" tall, so I have to put my front seat pretty far back so I have enough leg room. The problem is, the back of the seat is rubbing on the seat of the backseats creating a squeak every time I even slightly move. (I have owned the car abt 6 weeks)

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what did you do to solve this? I was thinking I could put leather conditioner on the back seats and hope that it would silently squeak because it would then be lubricated. I bought the Lexus cleaner and conditioner for leather but haven't used it yet.

Also, I kinda worry about pushing the seat against the back seat so much because I'm afraid its ruining the back seat (you can't even stick your fingers between the two seats because its so tight now). Any thoughts? Should I even care as I never use the back seat?

I'm definitely having this problem. I'm 6'3", so in order to be comfortable I need to have the seat all the way back, and with a non-trivial amount of recline. Doing so presses into the rear seat, and there are loud squeaking sounds from the leather-on-leather contact whenever I move.

I've tried leather conditioner as recommended in this thread, and no real impact. My next step will be to buy a piece of thick felt or similar material to wedge between the front seatback and the rear seat fronts. I'll let you know if this helps at all.

It's definitely enough of a sound (and occurs frequently enough) to be annoying.
Old 08-27-07, 02:10 PM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Wow,

Never even thought to do a search for an old thread about THIS topic! I thought I was just being overly critical about squeaks! I also have this problem (6'1", "little" over 200 lbs :-) ). I prefer to have the seat all the way back, for the legroom but, I usually end up moving the seat forward, just a little bit at a time, until the squeaking stops.

I've thought about a piece of cloth between the two but, I figured I'd lose it (blown away) the first time the wife drove somewhere with the top down (she has the seat a little further forward).

P.S. I use the Lexol leather cleaner and conditioner....no effect on the squeakyness.
Old 08-27-07, 05:44 PM
bfigard
Rookie

Lightbulb

Being 5'6" in heels, I don't have this problem.

So if any of you guys are looking to get rid of some femur, I would be happy to take it from you.
Old 08-28-07, 08:53 AM
jrj102
Rookie

Update:

I got a piece of felt from the fabric store, and folded it on itself once. I placed it between the front and rear seat, and put the front seat as far back as it would go to wedge the felt in there. The nice thing is that it is a near-perfect match for the Ecru leather, so you can't see it at all unless you're in the back seat, in which case you've got bigger problems, like your broken legs and sore back. Good luck with that.

The result: Probably an 80% reduction in leather on leather squeaking sound. I'm going to buy an identical piece for the passenger side. The only remaining squeak is higher in pitch and sounds as though it's coming from around the seat belt "dispenser." (Not sure what to call it.) I'm hearing it out of my left ear most commonly when I pivot at the waist.

Much better, but there's still work to be done.
Old 08-28-07, 01:27 PM
StunnaSC
Pole Position

my driver seat and passanger seat do the same and now the back panels are loose and they fall off!
Old 08-28-07, 01:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

seems like it was a good decision by lexus to implement the new feature to auto incline the seat if it's pushed too far back
Old 08-28-07, 02:56 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Yup I had the seat of mine(03) all the way back before & experienced this annoying noise, but fortunatey I'm 5'11" & I am very comfortable with the seat a little forward such that the leather don't touch each other to create this noise when you move.
Old 08-28-07, 03:03 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by jrj102
The only remaining squeak is higher in pitch and sounds as though it's coming from around the seat belt "dispenser." (Not sure what to call it.) I'm hearing it out of my left ear most commonly when I pivot at the waist.
Is it only with the top up? Could it be window against the rubber door seal? I used to drive an Audi TT (before I needed a backseat) and a little spray silicone fixed that right up.

P.S. How did you get Windows Home Server -- I didn't think it was released to the public yet.
Old 08-28-07, 11:23 PM
jrj102
Rookie

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
Is it only with the top up? Could it be window against the rubber door seal?
I'll check-- I've only noticed it with the top up, but then I only notice most noises with the top up, since with the top down the wind and road noise tends to overpower minor interior sounds. (Possible solution: always drive with top down. Problem solved! No, wait... I live in Seattle. Nevermind.)

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
P.S. How did you get Windows Home Server -- I didn't think it was released to the public yet.
One of the benefits of working at Microsoft is I sometimes get to play with some cool stuff before it's released to the public. I'm not on the Home Server team, so I can't speak for them but I know that OEMs are planning on having devices available in the fall. The Home Server Blog is your best bet for latest info.

Quick Reply: Back of Front Seat Rubs Against Back Seat - Squeaky