SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Pebble Beach Tempting Me

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-04, 05:59 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pebble Beach Tempting Me

Friends, I need your help. This is going to be a long post, so consider this fair warning...

I've currently got an '02 L-Tuned GS430 (love it) and a '98 Acura 3.0CL (love it, but it's getting old). I traded in a BMW M Roadster for the Lexus, knowing I'd be starting a family soon. It turned out to be sooner than I thought, and I now have a 6-month old daughter. I live in an area that has snow during the winter, and I've found out that my GS is totally unsuitable--the CL, being FWD is as at least driveable. I also am a part-time DJ, so I need to transport my equipment to events around the local area--the CL fits everything perfectly.

I absolutely LOVE Lexus--the customer service, the build quality, the attention to detail, etc.--but the looks of the SC430 are somewhat lacking in my opinion.

All that being said, I had given up on buying another sports car or convertible and was planning to get an SUV when my GS is paid off in about two years. I was hoping that the LX would be completely redesigned by then.

Now along comes the 2005 Pebble Beach Edition SC430. Let me level with you--I frickin' LOVE the looks of this car, inside and out. It is the first SC430 that has tempted me (well, except for the one in Terminator 3 but that was because of Kristanna Loken, not the car...), and it is tempting me sorely.

My biggest concerns are twofold. First, financially this is not the right decision for me right now. I can afford it, but it will get in the way of paying off bills and buying some other big-ticket items I had planned on. The other concern has to do with Lexus marketing. I know they tend to come out with these special edition cars (Platinum Edition, Coach Edition, etc.) towards the end of a model run in an attempt to boost sales before a major redesign or siginificant improvement in features.

So my question to you SC430 gurus is this--what have you heard about the SC for 2005 and 2006? Are there big changes coming? What might I be giving up by giving into temptation and getting a 2005 Pebble Beach rather than waiting for the next big thing? Any help is appreciated--either prevent me from making an impulse decision I'll regret, or help me take the plunge on a purchase I'll forever be happy about!
Old 08-14-04, 10:49 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

All I can say is the GS has had a 7 year life so far. Only changes were a different taillight, grille, and the change from 4.0 to 4.3 liters on the V8. No changes in sheetmetal AT ALL.
Do you think the SC, which sells in significantly less numbers than the GS (and cost much more to develop), will have a life span of 4 or 5 years? I don't think so. Lexus is very predictable. THERE'S WON'T BE a model change before a 'facelift' on this car. The SC's facelift will consist of the 6-sp tranny for sure (streamlining, just like the 4.3 V8 and 5-sp tranny), plus some 'cheap' cosmetic changes like the GS (hopefully wheels).
I can almost guarantee the facelift for '06 (I actually expected the tranny change in '05, a year after the LS, but apparenlty not), but if you keep waiting for the 'right' moment to buy, you'll die without buying one. On the other hand, buy it when it makes financial sense buddy, not when the 'right' color comes out. Just my opinion, of course.
Later.
Old 08-15-04, 09:34 AM
MY GS300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by ELP_JC
All I can say is the GS has had a 7 year life so far. Only changes were a different taillight, grille, and the change from 4.0 to 4.3 liters on the V8. No changes in sheetmetal AT ALL.
Do you think the SC, which sells in significantly less numbers than the GS (and cost much more to develop), will have a life span of 4 or 5 years? I don't think so. Lexus is very predictable. THERE'S WON'T BE a model change before a 'facelift' on this car. The SC's facelift will consist of the 6-sp tranny for sure (streamlining, just like the 4.3 V8 and 5-sp tranny), plus some 'cheap' cosmetic changes like the GS (hopefully wheels).
I can almost guarantee the facelift for '06 (I actually expected the tranny change in '05, a year after the LS, but apparenlty not), but if you keep waiting for the 'right' moment to buy, you'll die without buying one. On the other hand, buy it when it makes financial sense buddy, not when the 'right' color comes out. Just my opinion, of course.
Later.

I agree.

I "heard" that the SC430 will have no major changes for the next two years.

Good luck with your decision.

-Donald
Old 08-16-04, 07:42 AM
XZLR8
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to ask annoying practical questions, but here is an annoying practical question...

Would the SC be replacing the CL? You mention that you need something to haul your DJ equipment, with some winter driving capabilities, and room for the family. If those are criteria... well, the SC wouldn't be the best solution if it is replacing the CL, I wouldn't think.

As for coming changes, I too was told that there are no major pending changes on the horizon for the next year or two. I was skeptical, given the age of the current model, but my dealership insisted. From the pictures that have now circulated of the '05 PB Edition, it doesn't look like there have been cosmetic revisions or any "facelift" type changes, which makes me happy as an '04 owner. The only potential changes that were mentioned to me by my dealership were the possible additions of rain-sensing wipers and the upgraded navigation system (as on the LS), although nothing was confirmed.

Best of luck, whatever you decide.
Old 08-16-04, 05:26 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Yes, it would replace the CL, leaving me immobile in snow and unable to continue with the DJ work. We have also considered keeping the CL and having three cars, but somehow I just don't feel right owning three cars with just the two of us drivers in the house!

I know it's not the least bit practical, but I do so much miss having a sporty convertible, and the Pebble Beach just calls to me. I think ELP_JC burst my bubble (probably in a good way) by reminding me to be more practical and not going for it just because it's the right color.

I guess I'll have to wait for midlife crisis to do something completely impractical just for the sake of it.