SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

sc430 shaking

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-04, 10:03 PM
b1gredek
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default sc430 shaking

for some reason my sc430 steering wheel shakes like crazy after the dealer put some brand new l sportline wheels on, still using the stock run flat tires just got them balanced and none of the wheels are bent, any body have this problem or is it just the run flat tires do this. thanks
Old 08-12-04, 07:52 AM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

The steering wheel should not shake like crazy, or like anything else, regardless of the tires.

I've had run-flats on the car since March of '01 and have experienced no shaking of any kind, nor do I recall any posts to that effect here.

As I understand your message, which was mysteriously posted without capitalization or punctuation, the shaking started after you installed new wheels, but was not there before you installed the new wheels. It also appears from your message that you have the same tires on now as before. This would lead me to conclude the problem lies in your wheels, not in your tires.

To answer what appears to be your specific question, run-flat tires do not inherently cause a shaking in the steering wheel.
Old 08-12-04, 08:26 AM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Re: sc430 shaking

Originally posted by b1gredek
for some reason my sc430 steering wheel shakes like crazy after the dealer put some brand new l sportline wheels on, still using the stock run flat tires just got them balanced and none of the wheels are bent, any body have this problem or is it just the run flat tires do this. thanks
It sounds like the wheels are not hub centric for your car. Many people who change wheels make sure the bolt pattern and offset are correct and overlook the hub match up ( in other words is the opening on the wheel the same as the hub on your rotors). If the wheels are not hub centric the wheel is not going to align properly with the cars hub and basically will roll in an out of round manner. I would check with sportline to determine if they are hub centric and if not do they offer a hub adapter. Sportline is a quality manufacturer and will know about what you asking.
Old 08-12-04, 10:10 AM
b1gredek
Lexus Test Driver

yeah no problems with the stock wheels that i had or the momos that the car was purchased with, balancing at americas tire company did help but it still shakes on mildly bumpy freeway roads which none of my other lowered lexus does, and this car is stock, i did pull the wheel off to see if the hub rings were installed or not, but the lsportline wheels do not need them cause the wheels were made for the car hence they fit perfectly. thanks for the help
Old 08-12-04, 04:54 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

I'd say it could be the wrong offset too on this car. And if I dare say it, non-hubcentric related vibration shouldn't cause a shimmy. Try that on a Corolla.

I think it's an inherent problem in suspension design. I noticed the same 'disconneted' feeling on the steering on this car since day 1 as I had on my GS after it was fixed. The GS was much worse, however, because even a pebble on the road triggered annoying shimmies, and had to endure that for TWO YEARS. But after the TSB, the problem was only corrected about 95%, and I feel this car also has that 5% missing. Am I the only one?
You usually feel this 'vagueness' on recirculating ball systems, but not on rack and pinions. It honestly doesn't bother me (as long as shimmies don't develop), but Lexus hasn't gotten the steering just right yet.

One thing is for sure: Lexus is going to tell you you're on your own because of the aftermarket wheels, but I sympathize with you that it shouldn't happen. Good luck, and keep us posted.
Old 08-13-04, 08:50 AM
b1gredek
Lexus Test Driver

i just totally give up on working with the dealership on this situation, i asked them to rebalance it cause it was shaking, then i take it to an independent shop to get it rebalanced on one of the wheels had double the amount needed of weights on it, and they kept the car over night. also i wouldnt expect the wheels to be the problem since it is an lsportline wheel made for the car, but i could be very wrong.
Old 08-13-04, 10:51 AM
tfischer

nowIgetit, when1ofthewheelshaddoubletheweightsIwouldgiveup2, nowonderyouarenothappywiththenewwheelswhowouldbe, especiallywhentheykeepthecarover nightforreallynothing, butistillthinkthewheelsaretheprob
Old 08-13-04, 10:58 AM
b1gredek
Lexus Test Driver

wow that was hard to read, if the wheels are the problem do u think i they would have noticed the wheels were bad on the balance machine, i watched them balance them at americas tire and they looked fine.
Old 08-13-04, 12:40 PM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Tim ...

Apparently your keyboard has temporarily run out of spaces, so here are some of mine that you can have:

>> <<

Use them wisely.
Ed
Old 08-13-04, 12:49 PM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ooops ... Scotty screwed up again.
Attached Thumbnails sc430 shaking-scotty.jpg  
Old 08-13-04, 12:55 PM
tfischer

Thanks. That helped a lot.

And at no extra charge, my Caps Key is working again, also.

Readability is just around the corner.

Thank you for your support in these troubling times.