SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Is navigation upgrade worthwhile?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-04, 07:13 AM
Shelley
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What about this?

I have a 2003 Toyota 4-Runner with Nav system that looks like a more updated version of the one in my 2002 SC430. I've contemplated trying to copy the DVD (which I own, since I own the 4-Runner) and then using the copy in the SC. The version in the 4-Runner is better, it has more current info, plus it doesn't have a blinking cursor, which annoys me in the SC. Anyone know whether this is okay to do? Legally, I think I'm okay, but I'm not sure about whether it might "wipe out" the program in the SC and then screw up that system permanently????
Old 08-09-04, 11:47 AM
beachdrive
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nav System

Has anyone had the following "problem" with the Nav system? The easiest way to illustrate is a recent example. Went to Annapolis, MD. Wanted to have a destination of a hotel at 58 State Circle. System would not allow me to enter that address as it was not recognized. However, when I went to the manual mode (map) and scrolled over to that location and entered, it found the property.

How can it know the locations in the map mode, but not in the "type in a destination" mode? I have had this problem many times before. When I put in an address near the one I really wanted (but could not tytpe in/enter), the address I wanted comes up on the map as I drive by it.

Original Nav System on 2002 SC430
Old 08-09-04, 12:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

i have that problem with my nav on the is300 too, kinda retarded if you ask me. in cali i put in lakeside dr, there IS such a drive if i scroll on all lakeside *. but if i put in lakeside dr, the choices it gives me don't include it!
Old 08-09-04, 12:23 PM
tfischer

Received 203 Likes on 152 Posts

Whenever I have had a problem like that I usually find out that I am not designating the street address the same way the NAV system has it in its database. This is especially a problem with rural roads and State Routes, which are often in the database but in a different format.

For example, Maryland Route 25 might be in the system as Md Rt 25 or St Rt 25 or St Route 25 or MD Rt 25, etc. I'm not always sure what the naming conventions are, but I do know that sometimes I have to experiment to figure it out.

It would be nice if the software had some kind of a parsing system or some "fuzzy logic" abilities to suggest alternatives based upon the input, but I have not seen any evidence of that.

When the NAV system finds the correct location from a street address on the first try, I feel an elation similar to that when my first quarter hits big on a slot machine.
Old 08-09-04, 12:45 PM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

I recently had a funny thing happen on a trip to Litchfield County (new Milford) Connecticut. The nav got the address on the first attempt and showed me a map of the area around it. However, while driving there I got about 5 miles away and came to the end of the line! The message was something about mapping being inadequate to give detailed routing info. In other words, "You're on your own now". I guess in this case the maps are digitized but there are no GPS registration points?

George
Old 08-09-04, 12:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

well, in my case, the exact street name is Lakeside Drive

in the database, the corresponding RIGHT street name they use is Lakesidr Dr

when i type in Lakeside Dr, as soon as the R is input, it will jump to a screen with the following 4 choices:
S Lakeside Dr
N Lakeside Dr
Lakeside Drive
(and one i forgot)

none of them work. but if i type in Lakeside D and they go scrolling, i find Lakeside Dr just fine
Old 08-09-04, 12:52 PM
tfischer

Carpe:

I think the message you refer to is indicating that the voice prompts are no longer available, even though the maps are still there. Also, I think that the close-up intersection maps that pop up on the right half of the screen are also not available.

The underlying map is still there, and the GPS will correctly position the car on the map, but you are on your own to make turns.
Old 08-09-04, 01:09 PM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

No honestly, the purple line just stopped at a point on Rt 7 in New Milford and there was no indication of what to do next at all! At that point I was about 3 miles from the programed destination which was not on Rt 7 but back in the woods near Candlewood Lake.

And when I left I turned it on again for the return trip and got one of those one of those proceed to the starting point messages. The point representing the car was sitting in uncharted space and I could see the beginning of the purple line but no background roads around me at all.

George

Last edited by Carpe Diem; 08-09-04 at 01:14 PM.
Old 08-09-04, 01:21 PM
tfischer

CARPE:

I have had that happen to me when I went onto roads that were not built at the time the map data was compiled for the DVD. In that situation, the NAV system just thinks you are off road or in a parking lot or something like that (although I've never really asked it what it was thinking).

However, I don't understand why it would have the street address in the system but not the map itself. I'd stay out of Litchfield County if I were you.
Old 08-09-04, 06:44 PM
beachdrive
Rookie

Default Nav System

One of the more interesting aspects of my Navigation System issues is the comparison to the system I use in my RV (and at times in my Honda and Truck). I just bought the software and antenna and hooked up to my very compact laptop and it does everything the Lexus system does only much better. It knows EVERY little town in the USA and almost every address and business (McDonalds, Hospitals, Gas Stations, Hotels, etc in each town. Sometimes it will take you on a slight detour but always gets you to your destimation. I think this happens when a road was under construction while they were mapping the data base. Other than that is is nearly flawless. On a trip to the West Coast (from East Coast) and back, it knew every street in every town and hamlet as well as the National Parks roads.

It must not be that difficult. Why can't Lexus give us a system that has as much detail?
Old 08-10-04, 07:24 AM
alfa2600
Driver

Beachdrive, what is that good system, where did you get it, what did it cost?
Old 08-10-04, 10:12 AM
beachdrive
Rookie

Default Nav System

alfa 2600,

The sytem is called Copilot Live/Laptop 7. It is from ALK technologies. I just looked at their site (alk.com) and you can buy it from them for $350. Includes software and antenna. I actually did not originally know about ALK's web site and bought it from " The GPS Store". I just looked and they are offering it for $350 but it looks like it has a $50 rebate.

I bought a really small Fujitsu laptop to run it on (as I did not have a laptop at all) and have been happy with that. I bought the smallest that had an internal DVD/CD drive so I could load the software easily. If I had to do it all over again, I would buy the even smaller laptop and use an external drive to load the software. If you already have a laptop, it's a pretty inexpensinve system.

By the way, the entire country and Canada are on one disk (which you load onto your hard drive) and when you are using the system you do not have to tell it what area you are in- it knows (it has GPS after all).

For any one who has an RV, this system also has the capability to go into RV mode and not allow you to drive on any road that will not accept an RV size or weight or put you into u-turn situations. I also like the feature of changing how far in advance it warns me of a trun. I also like the ability to modify parameters while I am moving. I actually let my wife do the mods while moving. It still blows my mind that it can know as many businesses, apartment houses, medical facilities, etc in each town.

I am afraid to praise this sytem any more as it will start to sound lke I own the company.