SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

run flat problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-04, 09:28 AM
salp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy run flat problems

is anybody else having trouble with the run flat tires on thier sc400's. i keep getting these big bubbles on the side wall. i have had mine 18 months and i have been through 8 tires and 4 rims. every time i go back to the dealer he says i hit pot holes. where are there no pot holes. if they told me i would have to spend $5,000 extra per year for tires i would have never bought the car
sal p
Old 03-29-04, 12:30 PM
Leslie Cra
Driver School Candidate

I replaced the Dunlop run-flats that came on my 2002 SC430 with Michelin Pilot A/Ss because of the poor ride and handling I experienced with the run-flats. Even though I don't think much of the run-flats I know that their sidewalls are much stiffer than "conventional" tires. Bubbles/blisters on the sides of tires are associated with some extreme type of trauma - most typically associated with hitting potholes. [I speak from experience on this one!] That said, it strikes me that the run-flats could be more susceptible to this type of blistering given their lack of flexibility - so it wouldn't take a very extreme pothole to cause some damage.
Old 03-29-04, 02:18 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Blisters on the sidewalls can also be caused from scraping on curbs (parking, etc). Can't think of any other reason that may be happening. Like Leslie, I traded my Bridgestone runflats for Michelin Pilot Sports (non-runflats). It made a world of difference in ride and handling and never really had problems with blisters. I would highly recommend you ditch the runflats.
Old 03-30-04, 06:18 AM
Doc C
Lead Lap

Ditch run flats!!!!!! Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. It's a different car after that!!!
Old 03-30-04, 01:59 PM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, I agree - get rid of the runflats. If, however, you're averse to buying French, consider Goodyear Eagle F1's. That's what I got and they're great.
Old 04-01-04, 08:57 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

I have not heard one good thing about run flats since I have done my research on these tires.
Old 04-01-04, 08:59 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally posted by Leslie Cra
I replaced the Dunlop run-flats that came on my 2002 SC430...
That would be impossible. Dunlop DSSTs (aka run-flats) came out in late 2003, and showed up in 2004 SC430s. You probably meant Bridgestones, which were upgraded in 2004, by the way.
Not to be a pest, but due to the negative comment (bubbling), I wanted to set the record straight.

Good evening.
Old 04-02-04, 08:04 AM
salp
Driver School Candidate

Angry

Originally posted by dseag2
Blisters on the sidewalls can also be caused from scraping on curbs (parking, etc). Can't think of any other reason that may be happening. Like Leslie, I traded my Bridgestone runflats for Michelin Pilot Sports (non-runflats). It made a world of difference in ride and handling and never really had problems with blisters. I would highly recommend you ditch the runflats.
would replace them if i could but then no trunk at all

i have Bridgestones also and the service manager confirms it was pot holes
sal p
Old 04-04-04, 08:40 PM
dmizock
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Runflats

Arrgh! I just picked up an '02 SC with only 12,000 miles on it in Tennessee, and drove it 2200 miles back to California. I was absolutely astounded at the noise the runflats made, not to mention the rough ride. Most of the time, I turned the stereo up to drown out the hum. The vibration was still there though. I am very interested in trashing these things and replacing them with the Pilot Sports. However, I will need a spare, which, of course, I don't have. I guess I'll also need the tie-down assembly and tire cover. What have those of you who have made the switch from run-flats done? I'm willing to give up the trunk space in order to have the kind of ride I expected from Lexus (I've got a GS 430 which, in comparison, rides smooth and quiet). What were they thinking?

Last edited by dmizock; 04-04-04 at 08:41 PM.
Old 04-04-04, 08:54 PM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

I've heard that the noise is horrible loud. I couldn't even imagine it.
Old 04-05-04, 06:08 AM
Doc C
Lead Lap

dmizock,
Check salvage yards for a salvage SC spare. Most, if not all toyotas should have a spare that will work as well. That's a good way to find one on the cheap side. We don't carry spare all the time, just on long trips. Otherwise, we'll use roadside assistance (though I've heard service is crappy) and Lexus Link. Good luck.
Old 04-08-04, 08:01 PM
dmizock
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3

Has anyone else had any experience with the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's. I'm trying to decide which alternative to the runflats will give me the quietest ride without compromising handling too much. I've been considering the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S and just recently discovered the Goodyears as a possibility. Any recommendations?
Old 04-08-04, 10:50 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

I can only speak for the Michelin Pilot A/S. They were awesome how quiet they were and the performance that was gained. There was a guy on here with the Goodyears and he said they were great as well. The tread pattern on the Goodyears is really neat looking too!! You could put Fred Flintstone's tires on there and do better than the runflats!!! Either one would be way better.
Doc C
Old 04-09-04, 05:14 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

One caveat about the Goodyear Eagles. They develop flat spots if left standing too long. Being in California, you may not find that to be an issue.

I work at home, so I don't have that daily drive and may not drive the car for 3 days. The flat spots cause the car to have the same symptoms as an out-of-balance wheel, however, after 4 miles of driving, it disappears. The folks at TireRack told me that this is not uncommon for a high-performance tire, but I have yet to see anyone else post to this forum about that problem.

I keep the car garaged over the winter and was concerned that any flat spots developing over the months would ruin the tires, so I bought a set of special rubber pads to insulate the tires from the concrete. I can't recall where I learned about this product - it was probably here. In any case, for anyone else who may have this concern, they work!

See http://www.tirecradle.com/tcradle.htm
Old 04-09-04, 06:42 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Originally posted by 1NICESC430
One caveat about the Goodyear Eagles. They develop flat spots if left standing too long. Being in California, you may not find that to be an issue.

I work at home, so I don't have that daily drive and may not drive the car for 3 days. The flat spots cause the car to have the same symptoms as an out-of-balance wheel, however, after 4 miles of driving, it disappears. The folks at TireRack told me that this is not uncommon for a high-performance tire, but I have yet to see anyone else post to this forum about that problem.

I keep the car garaged over the winter and was concerned that any flat spots developing over the months would ruin the tires, so I bought a set of special rubber pads to insulate the tires from the concrete. I can't recall where I learned about this product - it was probably here. In any case, for anyone else who may have this concern, they work!

See http://www.tirecradle.com/tcradle.htm
I've heard of tha tproblem before......

Quick Reply: run flat problems