SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Requested a quote, offered $56,000

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-04, 05:06 PM
bjoraker
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Requested a quote, offered $56,000

I'm in Green Bay, WI and the closest dealer is in Appleton, a town 30-45 minutes south. Next closest is Milwaukee. Just asked for a quote on a Pine Green 2004 with saddle interior from the Appleton dealer. MSRP is supposed to be around $64,500. I offered $56,000.

Suggestions for negotiating well are extremely welcome. Was planning on buying in December, but will give my current Ford Escape to my daughter when she graduates from HS in May/June. Still, I could drive a cheap used car so no great urgency/need to buy. I just am tired of waiting for it and lurking here as a wannabee.

Wife is opposed to an early purchase, but if I get an extremely good deal, I think I can win her over.

What do you think their next move will be? Ask me to come in for a test drive? Should I or should I continue to negotiate from home/phone/email? Can put $10 grand down (could put more but the wife will cut off my tender parts if I do)

Last edited by bjoraker; 03-14-04 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-14-04, 05:13 PM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a hard one. Dealers always want to get you in for a "test drive" so they can give you the hard sell. The old "are your ready to deal now" question. So your strategy needs to be based on your level of sales resistance. I always love the chase so I want to be there, drive the car, listen to everything they have to tell me and walk out if they don't come to what I think is a reasonable number. However, if you crumple easily to the arm-twisting then you should try to get some pre-negotiations done remote. Good luck but don't wait too long. The demand for that car will jump in another month.

The 10k down is probably expected by the financers. That's less that 20%

George

Last edited by Carpe Diem; 03-14-04 at 05:15 PM.
Old 03-14-04, 05:27 PM
PBEchicago
Driver

I pride myself for shopping around for the best price. However, I paid FULL MSRP "sticker" price ($65,335) PLUS tax for my 2004 Lexus SC430 "Pebble Beach Edition" (only 400 made). I too, am curious if anyone bought their 2004 SC 430 for less than "sticker" price.

Someone ("sigmon9") in San Diego is taking bids on a used "Pebble Beach Edition" with 1,500 mileage on eBay. The current high bid of $54,600 has not met with the unknown minimum demanded by the seller. UPDATE: The seller pulled the PBE from eBay on March 15.

"Midnight Pine Pearl" is among the least popular colors (See POLLS). However, in your case, it would coordinate well with the uniforms of your GREEN Bay Packers.

Last edited by PBEchicago; 03-15-04 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-14-04, 05:34 PM
bjoraker
Driver

Thanks for the tips so far. I am a closet Vikings fan, but cheer the Packers on anyway. Damn, the fans here are loyal and fun, too.

Anyway, on this deal I have to hold a hard line or my wife would simply kill me if I came home with the car at a not so great price. So, demand should pick up in the spring... In your experience, then, how far will the dealer come down even if I walk out? Assuming he calls me back a few days later.

What do folks think is a reasonable number? Pebble Beach, I have heard, has not been discounted.

Last edited by bjoraker; 03-14-04 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-14-04, 05:45 PM
PBEchicago
Driver

While I wouldn't advise it in GREEN Bay, a Viking fan may favor "Midnight Amethyst Pearl".

Seriously, I doubt that you can buy a new SC 430 for less than sixty grand plus.

The dealer's rationale: Why should I sell it to this guy (bjoraker) if others will pay full price for a premium auto?

Perhaps you should investigate the "Pebble Beach Edition" on eBay before bidding ends on March 18th.. I suspect if that car actually goes for under $65k, it may have water damage, etc. or, God forbid, a rare Lexus "lemon".

Last edited by PBEchicago; 03-14-04 at 06:33 PM.
Old 03-14-04, 05:54 PM
bjoraker
Driver

Well, I was hoping that since sales of the SC 430 are off that they would be willing to negotiate a good bit more.... I hope they aren't that inflexible are I am out of luck until later in the year when the 2005s come out.
Old 03-14-04, 07:23 PM
tfischer
Forum Moderator

Received 230 Likes on 170 Posts

I don't think the dark green is unpopular, I think it's just rare.

I also don't think sales are off. I saw a list the the WSJ in the last week or two that indicated that the SC430 is in the top ten for cars that spend the fewest days on a dealer's lot. It's not a high volume car, but the ones they make are being sold pretty quick, which is why you will probably not find a dealer who is going to discount it 10 large. About 6 months ago my dealer said he only has about two or three on the lot at any one time.

The high ratings in the last Consumer Reports should not hurt sales either.
Old 03-14-04, 09:09 PM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

im desperately in search of a pebble beach sc430 so if you guys know of a dealership still having one let me know please..
Old 03-15-04, 04:01 AM
bjoraker
Driver

skulinex, there is a pebble beach on ebay right now.

tfischer, I had read that earlier this year sales were down 30%, but at both dealerships I saw only 2-3 sc430s as you said, so they must be controlling their inventory very closely. Sigh.... Maybe, I need to look at a used SC430. I see a gree/saddle 2002 in san antonio, certified, 25k miles for around $49k.
Old 03-15-04, 09:37 AM
Dozer42
Pole Position

Ok, I think I can offer some helpful input on this topic as I just purchased a SC430.

First off, there's no way they'll go for $56,000. That's under invoice, and even with holdbacks they will not go for it unless they're making money another way such as on a trade on, loan kickback, extended warranty, lease kickback, etc.

It's just not going to happen.

Personally, I emailed all 202 Lexus dealers in the 48 states and got a bidding war going between them. After much negotiation, I was able to get a 2004 SC430, brand new of course, zero miles, for a best price of $58,000. Many dealers (in sunny/high interest areas) wouldn't go below MSRP, many wouldn't go below $60k.

I also went to the guys at Auto Spies, who for $500 will get the best deal possible, and they say that if they cannot beat your deal, you get your $500 back.

I got my $500 back, the best price they were able to get was $58,500, which really is excellent in California. The car I was getting for $58,000 was in Washington, and wasn't my exact color combo (Egyptian Sand/Saddle).

When I emailed all 202 dealers in the US, I also said I was looking for a used one if the price were right, and I also emailed every single SC430 listed in the AutoTraderOnline in my color combo, on Yahoo, ebay, and every other source on the planet.

I wound up with an absolutely flawless 2003 SC430 in my colors of Egyptian Sand/Saddle. Under 8000 miles, also had $5500 worth of Maya TS 2-piece 19" wheels and tires (12lbs less than stock per wheel!), total price, $52,000, and the car was only in SoCal, a couple hundred miles away. (No hidden fees either, watch out for that!!)

So, you've got a couple options here. If you beat your local dealer, you can get under $60k quite easily. If you're willing to drive a couple hundred miles, it's not difficult to get below $59k. If you want the easy way, try the AutoSpies guys, they are totally honorable and great guys to work with. If you want to spend maybe 8 hours, email all 202 dealers in the US stating exactly what you want and where you want it, keep on top of them, and you can probably score one for $58.5k, $58k if you're lucky.

Also consider used, there is really no reason not to. Basically every SC430 on the planet is still under the stock warranty (unless it's over 50k miles?), and would be eligible for an extended warranty which would not be a bad idea. In general extended warranties are a total rip off, but personally I wouldn't want to pay for repairs on this VERY mechanical top when it does go bad down the road. Plus, if you go with the Lexus extended warranty you'll most likely have full access to their unmatched service department, which honestly was part of the reason I went with Lexus in the first place. (BMW service is horrid, Mercedes not much better).

And please remember to budget $750 for the remote top/remote start option from LuxuryMotorWorks.com, I hate to sound like a shill for them, but this is the best thing since sliced bread. People are constanly gawking at the car when it just, all on it's on, beeps a couple times and the top goes down, then the occupants arrive, hop in and drive off into the sunset. It is SO wicked to just be able to hop out, click the button to raise the top and lock the doors, and just walk away. I use this feature CONSTANTLY, and use the top that much more. And certainly up in Wisconsin I'd think the remote start would be a trick feature.

If anyone needs the list of email addresses for all 202 dealers that I farmed off the Lexus website (took maybe an hour), please feel free to shoot me a note. I'd be happy to even send the emails for you with the scripts I've set up (and your return address). !!!

And finally, trust me, it's worth it. This is a virtually flawless car at a superb price with excellent resale value.

Last edited by Dozer42; 03-15-04 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-15-04, 08:29 PM
bjoraker
Driver

Awesome post Dozer, left me with lots of ideas. I am still thinking about used as well. BTW, beautiful car, I am eating my heart out with envy!

Last edited by bjoraker; 03-15-04 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-16-04, 10:47 AM
bjoraker
Driver

In the used car vien, what do you all think of this sc430 on ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEBWA%3AIT

Last edited by bjoraker; 03-16-04 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-16-04, 11:13 AM
Dozer42
Pole Position

Looks perfect to me, wonder what their reserve is and how much it'll go for. Email em and ask.
Old 03-17-04, 10:04 AM
PBEchicago
Driver

ATTN: Skulinex in Atlanta.

McGrath Lexus, Chicago, tells me they just sold a slightly used 2004 Lexus SC 430 "PEBBLE BEACH EDITION" to a guy in Georgia. Are you the guy?

Last edited by PBEchicago; 03-17-04 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-17-04, 10:22 AM
knolex2001
Driver

Skulinex: I don't know if you are just in love with the color of the 04Pebble Beach, but another one is coming out in Black with Red leather and Black wood. Only 500 will be made. If you need the Azure color, you may be out of luck, most dealerships were lucky to get even one.

Quick Reply: Requested a quote, offered $56,000