SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

How do you reset the tire monitor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-04, 06:28 PM
advancer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you reset the tire monitor?

I've had my SC 430 for about two month now and the tire pressure monitor has activated a couple of times. How is it reset? A dealer told me that it has to be linked to the computer in the shop. I read somewhere that there is a special tool that is simply passed over the wheel rim. What is the real answer?

Thanks
Old 03-11-04, 06:18 AM
kasendorf
Driver School Candidate

From my experience the system will reset itself when it senses the correct pressure in all of the tires. This used to happen to me and I brought it back to the dealer. The dealer explained that since I was using an inexpensive guage to check the pressure and it was about a pound low hence the system would engage. Purchased a digital meter and keep the pressure high and have not had a problem since. What is your tire pressure?
Old 03-11-04, 06:29 PM
advancer
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info, but this is the first time anyone indicated that it would reset itself. Have you actually reset it by adding air? I keep it at 35psi. I've got Yokohama AVS db2.
Old 03-11-04, 08:49 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

The dealer has to start the 'reset' procedure, just as they have to program any of the programmable features (C-best). On my '03 corvette, I could program anything, and initiate the 'reset' for the tire monitoring system. Once it's in 'reset' mode, you activate each sensor with a decently powerful magnet so it sends its code and the brain records it (otherwise you'd need to rotate each tires for that to happen); I'm sure it's the same for our car. The vette recognizes each tire individually, as well as displays the exact pressure on each; much better than our 'mickey mouse' version. One advantage on our system is you can put the tires in any order you want without having to 'reset' anything. One HUGE disadvantage is if you have a flat, or a sensor malfunction, you don't know which wheel(s) has the problem.

By the way, I use 33 psi as recommended (no need to put more on a brick), and never had a malfunction.
You should probably take it to the dealer (I hate to do that too).

Good luck.
Old 03-11-04, 08:56 PM
kasendorf
Driver School Candidate

I have the stock Bridgestone tires and when my pressure has fallen below the recommend amount (I believe 27 or 28 psi) the sensor goes off. Filling the tire makes it go away. Were the Yokohama stock tires or put on aftermarket? Perhaps the sensor needs to be reset or replaced if the tires are not stock. I do recall reading a reset or reinitialize procedure on this board some time ago. Sorry I can't help.