SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Strange engine noise; would like your input.

Old 12-23-03, 04:29 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Strange engine noise; would like your input.

This is the first time I notice the noise, but I bet it's been there since day 1 (700 on the odo now). The fact I now park the car on the left side of the garage (next to the wall), and I had the window down this time (rare), probably has something to do with it. Can't hear it with the windows rolled up.

Here are the details, so you can try to duplicate it for me.

- Car has to be fully hot (at least 10 miles of driving); doesn't do it when cold, or even when the temp needle first reaches the normal mark (oil is still pretty cool when that happens).
- It's much more noticeable while in 'D', so engage the parking brake. You can also hear it in N, but louder engine noise masks it, and it completely 'disappears' at higher rpms.
- Much more noticeable inside the garage (obvious), so listen for it when you arrive.

Honestly, it sounds embarrassing. Popped the hood while idling in D, and it's obviously coming from one of the pulleys, but can't pinpoint which. My best guess would be the idler pulley, which is the smaller one (shiny), high up, but can be the A/C, alternator... anything really. Doesn't sound like something to worry about (more like bearings banging each other), but would like to know if it's 'normal', so please post whether you have it or not.
It's very hard to describe, but my best guess is like a constant, high-frequency 'bell' sound.

Thanks for your help.

JC
Old 12-27-03, 07:26 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check your drivebelt.
www.jpimportz.org
Old 12-27-03, 08:10 PM
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

It's the idler pulley (the one on the top near the radiator hose). I squirt some lithium grease between the protective plate and the pulley and it would quiet down for a week or two. The dealer has replaced the bearing inside the pulley once before (1.5 year ago) and will be changing it again on my next service. It is quite common problem here on Guam where high humidity and salty tropical air cause rust to form. I had also the same problem in my previous '95 SC400 and replaced the idler pulley bearing.

Chu...
Old 12-27-03, 08:59 PM
JCtx
Racer

The belt is perfect, and mounted properly too; car only has 700 miles.

Hey Chu, I checked it more carefully, and it's indeed coming from that idler pulley. I also remembered my GS used to do it as well, but not as loud, and besides being the 400, I never checked it running like I did on my SC430 (my SC400 never made a noise, but sold it with 5K miles). I could spray some lithium grease too, but I think it's only going to make a mess, no? The noise is only evident when the engine is at operating temperature and idling in 'D', which means ball bearings, right?

I was hoping some of the 55 viewers of this post would answer if they have it or not, so I could determine if it's 'normal' or not on my car, but I guess it was too much to ask from these folks (thank you very much!). Guess will have to go waste my time at the dealer and settle for whatever they say.

Thanks a lot to Chu and JPI for responding. Hey, a question for you two: do you know if our engine is IDENTICAL to the one in the GS and LS? I'm referring to the position of the idler pulleys, A/C compressor, and all other engine-driven components. Since you don't own an SC430 (thanks again to the 55 not responding), I can only use Chu's information if the engine on your GS is identical to ours. Any other SC430 forums, with more helpful folks??
I can anticipate dealer's response with 99% certainty: it's normal. That's why I asked for help. Similarly, I don't want them to mess with my car for the noise to appear all over again. That's why it's important TO RESPOND so we don't waste our time or dealers' time for stupid things like this. I guess I'll be 'lurker' too from now on.

Hope everybody had a great Christmas... And yeah, you 55 too.

JC
Old 12-27-03, 09:17 PM
sc430blue
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ELP, personally, when I view a post on the forum, I try to garner information based on my own experiences. If a problem is posted that I feel I can help with, I will respond. If not, I move on to a post that interests me. I shouldnt have to feel guilty that I viewed someones post to the forum or that I have to worry about being counted. I have found this forum to be a great source of information for me and the people on here very helpful.
Old 12-27-03, 09:21 PM
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Yup, after spraying some lithium grease (engine off of course). On the initial startup it would fling the white lithium grease around the idler pulley area. I simply stop the engine and wipe the area clean. The dealer is covering the replacement bearing again under warranty. Ask your dealer to fix it.

Yes, the GS430 and SC430 uses the identical engine component and layout. The LS430 uses the same core engine but the intake and other plastic cosmetic components are different from the GS and SC.

Chu...
Old 12-27-03, 09:24 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

ELP,

I saw the post and haven't experienced the problem you were describing. I guess I would rather have no response than have people try to respond for the sake of responding and give me crappy unfounded advice!! Hope it all works out. Happy new year.

Doc C
Old 12-27-03, 09:31 PM
JCtx
Racer

Hey Chu, that was great help buddy; thank you very much.

Sc430blue: a forum is a great place for information IF YOU HELP; if nobody responds to posts, it wouldn't be ANY information, would it? And don't feel guilty; I won't either when you ask for help. I was asking for a simple YES or NO based on experience... and if you didn't know, just to roll the window down next time you pull into your garage; was that too much to ask? I guess it was. I won't post how I resolve my issue, so you inconsiderate guys have to find out by yourselves if you develop a problem... or learn how to cooperate to make this forum better.

Later.
Old 12-27-03, 09:48 PM
JCtx
Racer

Hey Doc, how are you doing buddy? I understand there's no perfect car, and I just didn't want to go b*tch at the dealer (pretty far away, as a matter of fact) if all cars do it, see? That's why I wanted to hear about this issue one way or another. If I'm the only one, then I need to act. Apparently (according to Chu), it's not entirely normal, but even he got the noise back a few thousand miles later, which is the kind of event I want to avoid until something is done to the part or supplier. I'll contact the dealer on Monday and start asking some questions.
Take care man.
Old 12-27-03, 10:03 PM
sc430blue
Lead Lap

ELP,
If you recall, I was one of the few people who did respond to your questions regarding WOT and engine transmission noises, making it a point to post a response as soon as I logged in.
All I am saying is that posting snide remarks to people who dont respond to you doesnt help the situation. Its great to see your enthusiasm for your car and I can understand that you would like to gather as much information about it as possible but everyone is different in the way they respond to things. If people dont give you the input you need, they shouldnt be taken to task for it.

As I said in response to your WOT question, my car is an 02 with 45k miles on it.
No.
Old 12-28-03, 09:20 AM
Tjz
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

NO.

I hope that helps.

TjZ
Old 12-28-03, 09:46 AM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can bet my house it's nt the bearings. Apply a little kit of candle and noise will go away. I've seen new belt squeaks @ 200 miles. Replacing the belt will fix the problem. By the way, I was a Lexus tech and now have my own Lexus/Toyota repair shop.
www.jpimportz.org
Old 12-28-03, 04:37 PM
Joe Peters
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ELP_JC,
I can let you know what hapens next week.
Mine makes noise when cold. Now due for
40k service. not sure if it will be this week or
next but if you like I will report what happens.
Attached Images  
Old 12-29-03, 07:08 AM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

JC-

In the year I owned my SC430, the engine was as smooth as silk. Never had any strange noises and the idle was never the least bit rough. Can't really comment on your other post re: cold weather idle because I don't think it ever dipped below 40 degrees in So. Florida during the time I owned the car.

Now that I've read both of your posts... strange noise and rough idle in cold weather... I would highly suggest you take the car into Lexus service and make them fix the problem. Hope this helps.

DSeag2
Old 12-29-03, 09:38 AM
JCtx
Racer

Thank you very much to all; I'll definitely take my car to the dealer. Especially bothersome is the hot-idle noise, whether the belt or idler pulley bearing. Will let dealer do the 2 'free' services now that I'll be there, but will provide them with Mobil1 oil.

Hey, no hard feelings SCblue; even though I'm a perfectionist with myself (never expect others, including my girls and wife), I'm also an engineer by profession, and understand cars can't be perfect, therefore only bother dealers when it's warranted. Sorry if I expected too much from busy people here; won't happen again. But if you have time to respond and help somebody, why not do it? That's a simple way to pay back what we've learned from the board; that's the way I justify answering questions instead of doing other things I enjoy more.

Best wishes for '04 to all.

JC

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Strange engine noise; would like your input.