SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Door Panel Removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-03, 03:25 PM
MarsB007
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Panel Removal

Can someone please let me know how to take the door panel off? I seem to have developed a nice rattle (when the top's down and the windows are down also). I would like to apply a little dynomat to that area, but I can't seem to be able to take the stupid panel off.

As far as I can see, there are 2 screws on each side of the door, with 3 at the bottom. My guess is that there is another screw by the door handle mechanism (behind the cover) although I can't take the stupid cover off... I tried prying it off with a screwdriver... NO LUCK. The cover bends a little, i see a screw, but I can't pop it off.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-30-03, 08:51 PM
ekovalsky
Rookie

If you figure it out let me know. The wood insert on the driver door still resonates from the stereo. The dealer has worked on it twice and it is much better than when it was new, but still annoying.

I think the only way the rattle will go away is if I fix it myself. I suspect the screws holding the wood panel to the door may be bottoming out ...
Old 11-30-03, 09:34 PM
MarsB007
Driver

that's exactly what's wrong with mine... the stupid wood panel resonates (and only on the driver's side, where it's right where I can hear it). I went to the dealer, and they insist that I shouldn't do it by myself, since there are a lot of wires/screws... and if i break anything it's going to be expensive to replace. Either way, I think I might take it to Sound Advice or Best Buy and have the people Dynamat that door, since it's begining to really **** me off. My 1000 miles service is coming soon, so I'll have the dealer look at it also.
Old 12-01-03, 12:25 AM
RxVedub
Driver School Candidate

I am a Lexus Technicion, and if you realy want to know how to take the door panel off, i can let you know. but i recomend a dealer doing it, ESPECIALY if the car is still under waranty.

The ratel is from the wood trim on the top of the door panel. a little foam along the edge and cleaning the contact area of the trim and the leather on the panel, takes care of it. I have done this countless times.

I havnt looked at one in a while, but will do it off of memory.

There are a couple clips on each side of the panel, screw along the bottom under the seal. There is a screw under the armrest. if you look under it or feal for it, u will find whole that is about 3"deep. Under the door realease handel (inside) is a panel that pops off. this one is a little hard to take off. U will think u are breaking it, but u are not. There is a screw behind that. NOTE: it pops out from the thicker side of the cover, not the pointed side. Then the switch panel, the trickiest one. on an SC430 it pops out from the back side (thick side again). there is a metal flat spring that holds it in. Pocket screw driver works well. but you need to get deap in it before u start prying. When its out there is a wire clip u detach. pull from the bottom of the door panel strait out, and lift the door panel. there is one more wire on the bottom fo the light. inspect the two cabels for the handel and lock.

Any questions let me know.

I cant remember anything els at the moment

Shant
Old 12-03-03, 05:10 AM
1ton
Driver

I know a lot of people mentioned that the driver door rattles. My driver side door rattles a lot but I can hear the passengerside rattle too. Is it for the same reason?
Old 12-03-03, 08:38 AM
RxVedub
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by 1ton
I know a lot of people mentioned that the driver door rattles. My driver side door rattles a lot but I can hear the passengerside rattle too. Is it for the same reason?
If it is the same sound yes. Just apply a little pressure to the wood trim and that should eliminate the rattle. If so, it is the same problem.
Old 12-03-03, 01:06 PM
1ton
Driver

I don't think mine is the wood panel....i tried applying pressure there and it sill has the rattle. I'll take it in to the dealership.
Old 12-12-03, 05:36 AM
1ton
Driver

I took my car into the dealership. They said that they did notice the rattle and was going to fix it. Well, I got it back yesterday and it still rattles. I tried applying pressure to the wood area but it doesn't help in my case. I am not sure what to do at this point. Any suggestions?
Old 12-12-03, 06:31 AM
MarsB007
Driver

try dynamat. That's my next step if the dealership wont be able to fix mine.
Old 12-12-03, 06:56 AM
1ton
Driver

I talked to the dealership this morning and he said that he knows about the wood panel, and that was not it. He told me about dynomat but would that be covered under warranty? I don't think I should have to pay to get my rattle fixed. I guarantee that a new SC430 won't have that rattle.

I will let you know how mine turns out.
Old 12-12-03, 10:29 AM
RxVedub
Driver School Candidate

Do not pay for anything. The dealer has to take care of a rattle no matter what. Tore apart the whole front half of the inside of an LS430 to figure out the rattle was from out side not inside.

NO DYNAMAT!!!

Take it back. It can be manny things; I had a speaker rattleing from the mounting point.

Squeks and Rattles are the most dreadid things at a dealership. But it was my favorite. I wish I was in florida so I could fix yours.
Old 12-12-03, 11:11 AM
1ton
Driver

RxVedub,

Thanks for the offer. I wish you could fix it for me too! I can't stand the rattle. I'll take your advise...no DYNAMAT!
Old 12-12-03, 11:16 AM
MarsB007
Driver

why are you guys against DYNAMAT? Anything I should know of?
Old 12-12-03, 01:23 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

A few answers:
-New cars DO rattle since new; my '04 did. Was fixed the first time, but dealer did a lot more than the TSB called for. They insulated the entire length of the wood trim to both eliminate hard-surface contact AND add space. Apparenlty the screws can bottom out before tightening the wood trim enough.
- Dynamat doesn't eliminate rattles... and it weighs a ton. It does quiet the car from outside road noise, however. It's intended purpose is to make your stereo system sound better.

My car has a very slight rattle coming from the left of the roof mechanism; I can hear it right behind the rear tray, and only on bad road surfaces and with the stereo off. Will leave it alone for now.

Good day.
Old 12-12-03, 11:26 PM
RxVedub
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by ELP_JC

My car has a very slight rattle coming from the left of the roof mechanism; I can hear it right behind the rear tray, and only on bad road surfaces and with the stereo off. Will leave it alone for now.

Good day.
We had an SC at the dealer with one of those, cant remember what it endded up being, but I will try to remember it and ask an old coworker.

I do remember it driving one of the techs crazy for two or three days on it.

Quick Reply: Door Panel Removal