SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Nav Screen On 03 Sc430

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-03, 08:00 PM
ron36330
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nav Screen On 03 Sc430

I believe this subject has been covered before but I can't locate it.
PROBLEM: Nav screen has small, pin head size, light areas on the screen. However these light areas are only visible when the top is down. With the top up the pin point light areas disappear or are not visible. QUESTIONS: Has anyone else noticed this problem? If you have had this problem is there a correction avalable?
Thanks in advance for any response.
Ron
Old 06-02-03, 09:01 AM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Ron, I believe I have the same problem on my A/C display. It almost looks like bubbles under the screen... right? It only appears with the top down, and it looks as if there is a film on top of the display that needs to come off. I've taken the car into Lexus service and asked if there is a film that needs to be removed and they've told me no.

I've posted the question before but didn't receive any replies. Hopefully, someone has a resolution. Anyone else out there with this problem????
Old 06-02-03, 10:20 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A pinpoint -size clear (white) spot on an LCD screen indicates that there is a bad pixel (picture element). I purchased a couple of PCs for twin "nieces" (everything is more expensive with twins). I ordered both PCs with LCD monitors - one of which had two of those pinpoint-size white spots. Bad pixels. I sent it back for a replacement.

What surpriised me is that I read in some PC tech article that having an occasional bad pixel is common and even expected. Bull - if I had to look at a monitor with white spots, it would drive me nuts - they would be the ONLY thing I'd see!

The spots are more noticeable when the screen is darkened than when it's bright because the bad pixels appear as white spots and blend with the background.

Some techie correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 06-05-03, 05:34 AM
gkw
Rookie

Default A/C display "cloudy"

Yes! My display also looks like there is a layer there that should come off. I was going to mention it, but the other two on the lot looked the same.

Has anyone else seen this (especially with top down) and what is the solution??

GW
Old 06-05-03, 07:23 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Sounds like two things going on here ...
One is the appearance of white spots which I believe are bad pixels. The other might be the purplish hue to the nav and other screens in the bright light. It's the nature of the beast. As the manual states, "The display may be tinged in purple due to the reflection of sunlight, but this is not a malfunction" .

BTW ... if you registered at www.lexususa.com, you can view your manual online.
Old 06-05-03, 07:33 AM
gkw
Rookie

Default Not a nav screen problem

This should probably be a separate thread, but the problem that desag2 brought up is with the AC screen and it really has nothing to do with sunlight. It is as though there is a protective sheet (like you would find on a cell phone or PDA) which is applied for shipping protection but is not removable. You can see the difference between the clarity of the screen on the stereo and the AC screen. One is crystal clear and the other is "cloudy".
Old 06-05-03, 08:12 AM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Exactly, GKW!

It has nothing to do with the purplish hue. It is a cloudiness that almost looks like "bubbles" in the AC screen. It definitely makes it difficult to see the readout with the top down.

I was beginning to think I was the only one with this problem. Anyone else ever have this problem and if so, have you found a resolution?
Old 06-05-03, 09:23 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

I don't recall seeing this problem in my car.

If it ever stops raining, I'll put the top down and take a closer look. If it doesn't stop raining, I'll have to trade in the SC for an ark.
Old 06-27-03, 10:10 AM
rscharf
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default There is a coating on the AC Display!

I know there's a coating on the AC screen because I've rubbed it off.

I cleaned the interior of my car with a sponge and a bucket of water with just a drop of Dawn in it. Now every good reader of this forum knows that Dawn cuts grease and will strip the wax off your car. I was leary of cleaning the interior with a slightly damp sponge with Dawn, but since it was just a drop in at least a gallon of water I thought I was o.k. Well, the day after I cleaned it, the AC display looked real hazy. When I rubbed my finger across it, it looked even worse. So, when I got home I took a sponge with water only and cleaned the display until it looked like all the haze was off. Well, I'm convinced I rubbed off a coating since I can see some remnants of it along the edges. It may have somewhat of a gray appearance. I'm going to try and find it, but I thing there was a warning label when the car was new that said not to use any solvents when cleaning the displays. I have a feeling the coating was there to help viewing the display in sunlight. So, don't use any cleaners on your displays at all if you want to keep that original coating. Now that it's off, I think I'm happier because I had seen the purplish haze and "bubbles" in the display before.

Robert
Old 06-30-03, 10:49 AM
Leslie Cra
Driver School Candidate

Hello! This is my first time posting anything on thid forum, but let me say that I am a frequent visitor and that I very much enjoy the infomation and banter. First, I own a millenium silver 2002 SC430 (interior is birds-eye maple w/light beige leather). "Cosmo" is my third Lexus automobile; my first was a 1994 SC400, which was followed by a 1999 GS300. As far as I am concerned, Cosmo is a permanent addition to my family.

As to the problem with scratches, filmy appearance, etc. on the read-out screens, I was experiencing this occurrence on the trip computer, temperature and climate read-out screen in my automobile. This condition also was only apparent with the top down. I showed this occurrence to the technicians at my dealership, Lexus of Silver Spring, and they expressed amazement. Apparently, no one had complained about this before me. The technicians described the condition as "scratches on the inside of the glass" and told me it was a defect that was covered under the warranty - which it was - and they ordered the part(s), which took about 2 days to arrive, and did the work in about 2 hours. One thing of note in this connection, however, is that the leather is EXTREMELY sensitive around this area - nav, climate and radio controls - and in making the repairs the leather was slightly damaged. This too, had to be repaired. [Fortunately, the dealership has a subcontractor that repairs leather surfaces.]
Old 06-30-03, 11:14 AM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Leslie, thank you VERY much for this valuable information. Since the season for top-down driving is here, it's time for me to take care of this problem. Good to know that it's under warranty!