SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Silver Bullet build Thread Phase II - intro

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-15, 12:00 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Silver Bullet build Thread Phase II - intro

I have been posting misc threads over the last few years with several mods, and I am pretty happy with the results. I thought I would start a new thread that keeps together the new collection of mods focused even more on track performance for PDX days and at some point Autocross. A chart that summarizes all the Phase I mods can be seen in my Garage.

I will be working mostly on handling, weight and perhaps engine mods as well as improving my driving skills with more seat time. There might be some aesthetic mods, body kit parts etc along the way.
Old 06-29-15, 12:05 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SlvBullet
I have been posting misc threads over the last few years with several mods, and I am pretty happy with the results. I thought I would start a new thread that keeps together the new collection of mods focused even more on track performance for PDX days and at some point Autocross. A chart that summarizes all the Phase I mods can be seen in my Garage.

I will be working mostly on handling, weight and perhaps engine mods as well as improving my driving skills with more seat time. There might be some aesthetic mods, body kit parts etc along the way.
Looking forward to your new thread, and especially performance mods. Curious how you plan to add power- looks like you have done just about everything? By the way, got your PM and I have a bunch of clips for your trunk :-)
Old 06-29-15, 12:24 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Default Cusco Front Lower brace

Given that the Tom's braces are no longer available,mI purchased from Evasive Motorsport the Cusco front lower brace for the GS which fits the 02-05 SC430. It is heavier than the OEM brace but much stronger which helps to tie up front end around the curves under speed. After testing options I ended up installing over the OEM under cover but needed to cut off front corners.
Attached Thumbnails Silver Bullet build Thread Phase II - intro-image.jpg  

Last edited by SlvBullet; 06-29-15 at 01:18 PM.
Old 06-29-15, 12:43 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Default New wheels and extreme summer tires

I have been doing my track days running on Michelin A/S Sport Pilots which as all season tires, do not have enough traction for agressive driving around curves on the road track. Also, although the Forgestar F14 19" wheel are lighter than OEM I wanted to go back to 18" and use lighter wheels.

Wheels - I went with the Mach V Wicked Awesome 18" wheels 9.5" width at 19 lbs each. Offset was too high at 40 so we added 5 mm spacer in front and 15 mm spacing in the rear. Spacers are aluminum and we installed longer lugs bolts and open lug nuts do I can swap to my Forgestars that dont need spacers. Price per wheel is $299. I get a lot of excellent support from Mach V and wanted tonuse their wheels. Yes I could have found wheels with the offset I needed. Without moving to much more expensive wheels the price/weight is very competitive.

Tires - I went with the Dunlap Direzza II Star spec. They are rated by Tire Track in the Extreme Summer category and still DOT approved. I went with 265/3518 all around to allow for rotation given the lower wear rating of 200. With the spacers, these tires just fit in front but don't rub the fenders or control arms.

First time on the track at PITT was excellent. Hardly any skidding unless I was on the wrong line and amazing traction sticking the corners. Little tire squeal or VCS beeping!

Grassroots Motorsport magazine just did a review of the Extreme Summer tires and the Dunlops did not come out on top but so far I'm real happy with them.

Weight loss was almost 16 lbs

Last edited by SlvBullet; 06-29-15 at 12:46 PM.
Old 06-29-15, 12:45 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Picture showing tire width and tread
Old 06-29-15, 12:50 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Picture showing fitment. About as far out as I can go without rubbing.
Old 06-29-15, 12:58 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Default Carbon Fiber rear diffuser

As mentioned in another thread I added the carbon fiber rear diffuser. I like the look it adds to the rear and it might contribute a small bit at speed on the straightaways. I drilled starter hole for the self-tapping screws and used 3M double sided moldong tape. One man install.

I purchased from EuroBotique contact: Richard Lo s4play @ yahoo dot com
Old 06-29-15, 01:07 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Default Seibon Dry Carbon Fiber Trunk Lid

In the topic of weight saving we all know about Gene's (Barcadi11) Exact Earth 7lbs Lithium battery vs 46 lbs Lead acid battery. I will swap the battery near the end of the summer.

Other than the lithium battery we have body panels and heavy seats. instarted with the trunk lid because the OEM trunk lid is steel not ALuminum and weighs 42 lbs. I purchased from Seibon Carbon their dry CF product that weighs 14 lbs. The fitment was excellent. I decided to not paint the CF and keep the OEM Millenium Silver spoiler and 3rd brake light.

28 lbs weight saving plus a new look.
Old 06-29-15, 01:16 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Default Further weight savings

Pending ...

Lithium Battery - about 37 lbs loss
Seibon Dry CF Hood - about 16 lbs weight savings plus vents to pull more air through the radiator and release engine heat.

The CF body parts and lithium battery also lower the overall center of gravity, important for the curves.

Racing bucket seats - style and supplier is still under study but OEM seats are about 65 lbs each as reported in this forum. Inwill actually weigh them shortly. Racing bucket with liner should be about 20 lbs, saving of 40x2 = 80 aprox. This will on hold for next year or later ... Budgeting ...

Carbon Fiber drive shaft is another one, these are tombe done over years and of course priorities chanhe with time.

For track days I will also remove the Polk subwoofer - pretty heavy.

Last edited by SlvBullet; 06-29-15 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-29-15, 01:22 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexBrett
Looking forward to your new thread, and especially performance mods. Curious how you plan to add power- looks like you have done just about everything? By the way, got your PM and I have a bunch of clips for your trunk :-)
Hi Brett

Will be a few years of work time and budget permitting.

Thanks for parts note I need one bolt from the trunk hingr, the T40.I'm fine with the clips.

Re. Performance mods I'm looking at doing some engine work, machining mostly but in research stage. Budget is gone for this year though but gives time to plan and run numbers. I expect 'll do this after the obvoius weight savings are done.
Old 06-29-15, 01:40 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Assume you have light weight wheels? Made a monster difference on my acceleration
Old 06-29-15, 02:03 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Yes will certainly remove the headlight washers and the antenna motor. Might remove the fog lighs too. I had already removed the OEM muffler and muffler heat shield but didn't weigh the difference.

Last edited by SlvBullet; 07-05-15 at 07:46 AM.
Old 06-29-15, 02:23 PM
Autoplak
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Seeing your year and because you can, de-badge the front for a few ounces.
On track days, remove the rear seat cushion. That has to be pounds savings.
Instead on double posting, post a link to this build on the Pic of Your Modified SC430 thread.
btw, looks fantastic. jealous
good luck
rich
Old 06-29-15, 02:53 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Autoplak
Seeing your year and because you can, de-badge the front for a few ounces.
On track days, remove the rear seat cushion. That has to be pounds savings.
Instead on double posting, post a link to this build on the Pic of Your Modified SC430 thread.
btw, looks fantastic. jealous
good luck
rich
Yes that gets removed along with the heavier subwoofer.

Thanks for the tip re. links ...
Old 06-29-15, 03:00 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexBrett
Assume you have light weight wheels? Made a monster difference on my acceleration
The wheels and tires are 16 lbs lighter than what I had. Thinner tires are lighter than the 265's I selected but I have to balance weight with traction so I added a few pounds with the increased width but gained better traction.

Last edited by SlvBullet; 06-30-15 at 07:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Silver Bullet build Thread Phase II - intro