SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Do you use a quick lube place for oil changes and other services?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-15, 03:00 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts
Default Do you use a quick lube place for oil changes and other services?

Let me start out by saying I have never used one of these places and this video is the reason why I would not. When I finally do need someone to perform service on my car, I will be very selective.

Last edited by Bgw70; 06-06-15 at 03:04 AM.
Old 06-06-15, 03:08 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Engine and transmission flushes can and may destroy those major components. The best thing you can do is periodic maintenance.
What if you have never done it or if you just purchased a used car? Just start doing it!!!

Last edited by Bgw70; 06-06-15 at 03:43 AM.
Old 06-06-15, 04:52 AM
NAmVet68
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many years ago I went to a Jiffy Lube and had the Muppets change my oil & Trans fluid. When I got home, my oil light came on & I discovered that they had cross-threaded the oil pan bolt. After fixing that myself and replacing the oil (again), the transmission started slipping. It cost me mucho dinero to get it resolved at a Transmission shop. Jiffy Lube denied any wrong-doing until I got a Lawyer involved. They ended up reimbursing me for SOME of the damages, but I never went to another one again.

I've done all my own oil & filter changes myself ever since, and as long as I can still crawl under the car , I always will. (I just have to lift it higher now to fit under)

Last edited by NAmVet68; 06-07-15 at 04:53 AM.
Old 06-06-15, 05:38 AM
Helogadget
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do all my oil changes etc as well. Especially after seeing this video, one can't help but wonder how much stuff is being charged for but not actually performed as well. Average drivers would never know if an air filter, for instance, was actually changed or not. Recently, I had an indy "Lexus expert" shop that I had used in the past try to charge me for a new cabin air filter which they claimed was dirty. The mechanic on the phone started stammering when I informed him it was interesting that the filter was dirty as I has changed it literally 3 days before bringing the car to them for a check out.

They also told me my power steering pump was leaking (although I saw no evidence of it). When I took it to the dealership for the air bag recall, they also did an inspection. I asked them after, "Did you guys notice any power steering leaks?" The tech said, "No, why?" I told him what I had been told and he just laughed.

Scratch one indy shop from my list!
Old 06-06-15, 05:53 AM
bilgen
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's sad how many independent shops are dishonest just to boost they're profits a smidgen. The ONLY way to keep an independent shop alive is to maintain an honest rep, advertise it, and market the crap out of your abilities and quality work. This is how my dad has kept "Bryant's auto air" alive for 30+ years. Although, he could utilize more marketing skills. Those dudes are old school lol.
Old 06-06-15, 05:59 AM
Helogadget
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The sad thing is, these guys used to be honest and trustworthy. They still have a solid customer base and it worries me to think how many people they are now ripping off who don't know any better...

Originally Posted by bilgen
It's sad how many independent shops are dishonest just to boost they're profits a smidgen. The ONLY way to keep an independent shop alive is to maintain an honest rep, advertise it, and market the crap out of your abilities and quality work. This is how my dad has kept "Bryant's auto air" alive for 30+ years. Although, he could utilize more marketing skills. Those dudes are old school lol.

Last edited by Helogadget; 06-06-15 at 06:00 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-08-15, 05:18 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Now that is scary!
Old 06-09-15, 08:25 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Oil changes are so simple anyone shop can do it. You don't need to go to Lexus. The question comes down to ethics.

If the mechanic is lazy and doesn't check his work (e.g., correct torque on drain plugs, oil level and viscosity, etc), lots of bad things can happen.

In my experience, the dealership or other more expensive places are just as unethical as quick lube places.

I change my own fluids..
Old 06-09-15, 09:19 AM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have no problem using local quick change oil places or dealerships to do oil changes on my cars. Sometimes I provide my own oil if I don't like the bulk oil they use. Its not rocket science to change oil and filters and quick lube places have lots of experience doing it. I don't want to crawl under a car any more.

It's not that I don't like to get dirty. I've owned airplanes for over 35 years and I have always done all my own preventive maintenance on my planes, I typically change oil/filter, take oil sample for analysis, check mag timing and do compression checks every 25 hours. It also gives me an opportunity to give the engine a good looking over. Mistakes when working on planes can cost you your life so I trust myself more than anyone else.