SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

13 yrs since its debut , Do you love your SC 430 ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-15, 09:19 PM
01gs3
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Always loved this car. Very different design when it came out. Despite it being so old, I wish the pricing would reflect it. 06+ sc430s still break the bank.
Old 06-06-15, 10:53 PM
Balr14
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've only had mine since the end of April and I really enjoy driving it. It certainly attracts a fair share of attention around here, as they are very uncommon. The only criticism I have is that by 2015 standards, it's under-powered.
Old 06-07-15, 04:46 AM
NAmVet68
Driver

Originally Posted by Balr14
I've only had mine since the end of April and I really enjoy driving it. It certainly attracts a fair share of attention around here, as they are very uncommon. The only criticism I have is that by 2015 standards, it's under-powered.
Flip that little switch on the console forward to "Power", turn off the ABS (button under the left side of the dash), turn off the AC, and mash the throttle. You'll be laying black stripes on the pavement. It's amazing how different the car feels by pushing a few buttons.

Even though its a pretty heavy car, 300 Horsepower is nothing to sneeze at. It's just tuned for smooth power delivery, and the performance can sometimes be deceptive.
That being said - if you want a "performance car" - you bought the wrong vehicle......

Last edited by NAmVet68; 06-07-15 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-07-15, 11:11 AM
jonas's RX
Instructor

Received 146 Likes on 95 Posts

Gang

I have own 560 SLs , BMW 6 series and out of all the cars I own ,
I think the only car I really miss is my 6 series .

I absolutely think over the years , the SC will be one of those cars car fans will
want to keep forever . A guy in a Porsche 911 drove by my car today and gave
Me a thumbs up ��

Last edited by jonas's RX; 06-07-15 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Change
Old 06-07-15, 09:58 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

...I definitely still love my SC !!!....sometimes I hate it's not my daily driver anymore !!!...lol
Old 06-08-15, 11:22 AM
Balr14
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NAmVet68
Flip that little switch on the console forward to "Power", turn off the ABS (button under the left side of the dash), turn off the AC, and mash the throttle. You'll be laying black stripes on the pavement. It's amazing how different the car feels by pushing a few buttons.

Even though its a pretty heavy car, 300 Horsepower is nothing to sneeze at. It's just tuned for smooth power delivery, and the performance can sometimes be deceptive.
That being said - if you want a "performance car" - you bought the wrong vehicle......
Thank's for the tip about the ABS, but I'm quite happy with the power delivery. It has become my daily driver, even though it's no match for the performance and versatility of my previous daily driver. It just feels good.
Old 06-10-15, 05:24 PM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

mash the throttle. You'll be laying black stripes on the pavement. It's amazing
Really? Seriously? No way! Who in their right mind would lay rubber in a Lexus? Unheard of, I say.

Old 06-10-15, 06:12 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by StillLine
Really? Seriously? No way! Who in their right mind would lay rubber in a Lexus? Unheard of, I say.
NamVet, was that you in the SC?

Luv IT!!!
Old 06-10-15, 07:23 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Have the SC430 for 5 years now and still love it so much. no plan for replacement at the moment. Just need few upgrade....speakers/sub and new brake soon.
Old 06-12-15, 06:20 AM
NAmVet68
Driver

Originally Posted by Bgw70
NamVet, was that you in the SC?

Luv IT!!!

Nope wasn't me . My SC is a Pearl Blue 2008, however...I did a few burnouts & donuts in her just before I had the tires replaced.....just had to see how it would do (very well thank you )

I don't have any real performance goodies (other than a K&N Filter), but with the "Power" switch on, ABS off, and whatever the switch under the left side of the dash is turned off (VS??) , the car will burn tires like an old muscle car. I also filled it up with some 100 Octane non- Ethanol racing gas (available at a couple of places in the Daytona Beach area) just for Chits & Giggles.....expensive as hell, but it was fun while it lasted.

Can't help it... I'm an old juvenile-delinquent motorhead from way-back

Last edited by NAmVet68; 06-12-15 at 06:58 AM.
Old 06-12-15, 05:35 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Nope wasn't me . My SC is a Pearl Blue 2008, however...I did a few burnouts & donuts in her just before I had the tires replaced.....just had to see how it would do (very well thank you )

I don't have any real performance goodies (other than a K&N Filter), but with the "Power" switch on, ABS off, and whatever the switch under the left side of the dash is turned off (VS??) , the car will burn tires like an old muscle car. I also filled it up with some 100 Octane non- Ethanol racing gas (available at a couple of places in the Daytona Beach area) just for Chits & Giggles.....expensive as hell, but it was fun while it lasted.

Can't help it... I'm an old juvenile-delinquent motorhead from way-back
Dude, I had no idea you were so close! We should meet up one of these days! I am just down the road. Rock On!

Last edited by Bgw70; 06-16-15 at 01:52 PM.
Old 06-12-15, 05:38 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mademedoit
Its a great car, I'm constantly surprised at the build quality whenever I take something in it apart. Older people diving shjt cars always look at me with such envy when I get out of it . But the cute girls smile when I cruise up next to them with the top down so...

Only wish it got better mpg. Will keep it until the day I trade it in for an all electric convertible.
Yep, I saw that reaction from the first part of what you said!!! Looks from the crowd when we pulled up to the restaurant tonight!
These cars still look like a new model because most peeps are not familiar with them!
Old 06-16-15, 01:39 PM
mikefromnc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I love my SC430!
When I was 16, my dad handed me the keys to a slightly used "56 Chevy.
Two tone Ivory White and Turquoise. Yuk! By means of after school and summer jobs ( mostly construction hard labor in the summer ) I was able to
turn that Chevy into: Painted what was then called "Roman Red"-Upholstered black and White ( White background with black diamond pattern on seat bottom and seat back ). Lowered 3" front and back. Chrome "Lake Pipes". "Glass Pack" mufflers. Loud!! And, of course, fender skirts.
When I cruised The Boulevard with my buddies, a lot of people knew it was "Mike".
That's 56 years ago. 56 years of driving mostly "Company Cars".
Well, I bought my 2002 SC430 in March of this year. White Gold Crystal with ECRU. 48000 miles. Looks like it came off the assembly line last week. I swear it smells brand new!
I wouldn't want my wife to know this cause she would think I'm crazy, but I very often sneak out into the garage and just stand and look at my beautiful wonderful car. I'M SIXTEEN AGAIN!!
Old 06-16-15, 03:03 PM
Bathman
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lucky 13

Originally Posted by mikefromnc
Yes I love my SC430!
When I was 16, my dad handed me the keys to a slightly used "56 Chevy.
Two tone Ivory White and Turquoise. Yuk! By means of after school and summer jobs ( mostly construction hard labor in the summer ) I was able to
turn that Chevy into: Painted what was then called "Roman Red"-Upholstered black and White ( White background with black diamond pattern on seat bottom and seat back ). Lowered 3" front and back. Chrome "Lake Pipes". "Glass Pack" mufflers. Loud!! And, of course, fender skirts.
When I cruised The Boulevard with my buddies, a lot of people knew it was "Mike".
That's 56 years ago. 56 years of driving mostly "Company Cars".
Well, I bought my 2002 SC430 in March of this year. White Gold Crystal with ECRU. 48000 miles. Looks like it came off the assembly line last week. I swear it smells brand new!
I wouldn't want my wife to know this cause she would think I'm crazy, but I very often sneak out into the garage and just stand and look at my beautiful wonderful car. I'M SIXTEEN AGAIN!!
I know what you mean Mike.
These are rare as hens teeth here but I am fortunate enough to have a black 02 at home in the drive. However I went to collect my wife from work tonight in my company car (a new kia ceed). While I waited outside for her a silver 02 sc passed by and I watched a group of young guys stop and do a 180 as they made admiring compliments and tried to guess what sort of lexus it was. They never as much as glanced at my new Kia (can't say I blame them). When I got home and looked at the cars side by side I knew why. It's not too often a guy feels lucky to own a 13 year old car. For those of us who intend keeping ours we are but the guardians chosen to care for them until we pass them on as your Dad did and these will be one day as iconic as the 56 chevy. Keep on rollin.
Old 06-17-15, 08:42 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

My sc430 is overall the best car I have ever owned. Everyday I get compliments, and with a few mods it is really fun to drive. New tires, light wheels, intake, headers, coilovers, sway bar, and sprintbooster have made a night and day difference in performance. The engine sound is now incredible. It's fast but not so fast where I would lose control or get in trouble. Handling is also much sharper and a blast. My addition of creature comforts such a NAVIKS, mirroring, and back up sensors also really add to my driving enjoyment. It would be hard imagining getting rid of this car since it is so customized to my needs and tastes, but I'm sure that day will come... Here are some pics

heavily insulated intake with huge 5" inlet cone and velocity stack

MeisterRs are great for comfort

Naviks back up cam, full time cam, iphone mirroring for Pandora/netflix/youtube

Chrome is nice but a disaster in terms of performance

light wheels I switch to make night and say difference in terms of handling and throttle response

pedals are nice touch