SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Takata airbag recall, 02'-05' SC430

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-15, 12:09 PM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by mrblister
I have asked my dealer a number of times and there is no mention of the recall on the web site in owners resources. I know that the original recall started with the 2002 through 2004 depending on
serial number and date. The News now says the 2005 sc430 is also affected but I have not gotten a recall notice .Did anyone with a 2005 get a recall notice
Same issue with my 2005. Called two Lexus dealers I have gone to for svc and they say my car is not affected according to VIN. NHTSA website says my 2005 is not affected too. I'd much rather get it done though ... Am getting fearful that I am driving around with a grenade like object in my steering wheel.
Old 05-22-15, 12:49 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by OBP
Same issue with my 2005. Called two Lexus dealers I have gone to for svc and they say my car is not affected according to VIN. NHTSA website says my 2005 is not affected too. I'd much rather get it done though ... Am getting fearful that I am driving around with a grenade like object in my steering wheel.
I ran my vin and my car is a 2005 I took delivery of it in oct of 2004 and its vin comes back no recalls
Old 05-22-15, 12:55 PM
Helogadget
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's just the passenger side affected not the driver. It's your passenger with a grenade in their face...

Originally Posted by OBP
Old 05-22-15, 06:45 PM
bb430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had mine done last year and was given an ES350 loaner, a full tank of gas and a horrible car wash. I complained about the car wash on the survey and was given a full detail later. The full detail was not impressive but hey, I stop complaining.
Old 05-25-15, 05:11 AM
mikeyk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had my 06 done on Thursday. Drove it home with the top down. Got in it Saturday morning, wasn't driven on Friday, and no A/C. Then my wife noticed the clock was cracked. Back to the dealership. They can't touch it till Tuesday, so we have a loaner and will update on what they find with the A/C
Old 05-25-15, 10:10 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeyk
Had my 06 done on Thursday. Drove it home with the top down. Got in it Saturday morning, wasn't driven on Friday, and no A/C. Then my wife noticed the clock was cracked. Back to the dealership. They can't touch it till Tuesday, so we have a loaner and will update on what they find with the A/C
I was not aware that the 2006 was in the recall. My dealer has told me no news has come to them yet about my 2005 . There were previous recalls for the 2002 to 2004
Old 05-25-15, 02:06 PM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Check this out.

Originally Posted by mrblister
I was not aware that the 2006 was in the recall. My dealer has told me no news has come to them yet about my 2005 . There were previous recalls for the 2002 to 2004
Here's screen shots for the recall of my 2006. It should be noted that while I live in Illinois, my SC430 was previously registered in Florida.

Last edited by StillLine; 05-25-15 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-02-15, 08:56 PM
Buggeroff6
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Are we on 'part two' for SC430 2002 airbag?

I got a letter from Lexus a few months back stating that my previous owner had done all repair/replacement/inspection through the Lexus serv.dep't in PA before I got it last summer. I already knew this from calling them, and checking the car database through Lexus of NOrthboro MA, but I am hearing chatter that the bags might need to be replaced yet again, b/c Takata hasn't phased out the problematic explosive chemical from the current replacements-this at least sensationalizing facts on the cbs news.
Was the latest recall in late MAY stating the Sc's still have recall status? Makes my letter look way flimsy if so!! Hey, a letter like that might be worth something, if there's a classs action settlement...what are the chances of my getting a LFA out of this!!
I, repeat, I am not a lawyer!
Old 06-03-15, 09:53 AM
DiggerJim
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Buggeroff6
but I am hearing chatter that the bags might need to be replaced yet again, b/c Takata hasn't phased out the problematic explosive chemical from the current replacements-this at least sensationalizing facts on the cbs news.
You ought to know better than listen to the media to get information

According to Takata, about 1/3rd of the replacements they're providing use the firing component ("explosive charge") from one of the other primary vendors in the airbag space. Also, if (and there's no definitive answer to this yet) the cause is high humidity impacting the nitrate compound used by Takata, it doesn't mean they'd need to replace that compound in replacements - they could simply package it differently to make it less susceptible to environmental factors - e.g. seal it from the elements better.

With all the chatter going on it's worth taking a breath and remember that it's only happened to a fraction of a fraction of a percent of cars.
Old 06-05-15, 03:14 AM
severteche
Driver School Candidate

Default Airbag recall mess

Took my 2002 SC430 for the recall and the dealer here said the would need the car for 5 hours because the dash needed to come out. When I picked up the car the TPMS light was on. They took it back to check on the computer and said it needed a sensor. Then when I got in the car the VSC and VSC OFF lights were on also. Not trusting them I went to my mechanic and they did a "yaw alignment" and changed one wheel sensor. Afterwards they said the TPMS light would still not go out. Took it to Lexus and they got the light out in 10 minutes saying the switch in the glove box had been bumped and went to "secondary" position. All looked good . Headed home ,no lights, and made one stop . Got back in ,started the car and the TPMS light was on.
Back to Lexus and they said another tire sensor was indicating defective. At least the dash didn't squeak. Going to my mechanic tomorrow and hope all goes well. Guess I should have kept the bad airbag.
Old 06-05-15, 09:46 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

I still have my TPMS sensors but nothing sensing it (not activated). I carry a flat repair kit. I check my tires every time I get into it. I check my air pressures every 2 weeks if not weekly.

Nowadays we are so dependent on sensors, but sensors die. We (at least some of us in old school) rely on ourselves to check and confirm by habit.

I am just old I guess.
Old 06-10-15, 02:07 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

From Lexus.com:

02'-04' is nationwide

05'-07' is regional
Attached Thumbnails Takata airbag recall, 02'-05' SC430-airbag.jpg  
Old 06-10-15, 02:17 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

No recall for both my Lexi

I am scared to death to have the clowns at the dealer touch my car, I think it is better off having the bad inflator

Last edited by BNR34; 06-16-15 at 11:20 AM.
Old 06-19-15, 02:41 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

a big positive SHOUTOUT for Lexus of Melbourne, Fl. They did the airbag recall, worked under the dash, gave me an ES350 to drive all day, filled up my tank, washed the car and dried it and best of all, no lights on the dash and it appears there were no extra screws, ;-) if you know what I mean!
I saw the cost sheet, the dealer charged Lexus, $800 for the work.

That new Lexus sure was a fine cruising machine, with some seriously cool technology! The only downside, a 3.5 V6.

The service guy sure liked my SC and said they never last long when they receive a trade.

He also had them look everything over...100%
That is a grade for me since I am now the mechanic!

Yea!

Last edited by Bgw70; 06-19-15 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-19-15, 03:19 PM
Helogadget
Pole Position

Good deal! They inspected mine when I had my airbag done and I have done all the items they found myself except I have 1 left. They found the cracked tranny mount (I replaced it and saved 300.00), replaced the air filter, and changed the differential fluid today. Only one item left they found and that is replace the brake fluid. I will probably do that next week.

Originally Posted by Bgw70
a big positive SHOUTOUT for Lexus of Melbourne, Fl. They did the airbag recall, worked under the dash, gave me an ES350 to drive all day, filled up my tank, washed the car and dried it and best of all, no lights on the dash and it appears there were no extra screws, ;-) if you know what I mean!
I saw the cost sheet, the dealer charged Lexus, $800 for the work.

That new Lexus sure was a fine cruising machine, with some seriously cool technology! The only downside, a 3.5 V6.

The service guy sure liked my SC and said they never last long when they receive a trade.

He also had them look everything over...100%
That is a grade for me since I am now the mechanic!

Yea!

Quick Reply: Takata airbag recall, 02'-05' SC430