SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Naviks mirroring device with wifi

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-15, 05:11 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Naviks mirroring device with wifi

Is anyone running a naviks mirroring with wifi? How do you like it and how is the picture quality on the nav screen? I hear that iphone won't play netflix and YouTube. Are there any other restrictions with apple products? Do all other apps play? Can other movie apps like Hulu play? If you were to do it all over again, would you have preferred the hard wired naviks or would you stick with the wifi version. Thanks!
Old 05-19-15, 07:38 AM
lexusalexm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very poor products all around, i just got NavTool with built in phone mirroring great unit,
Old 05-19-15, 07:55 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusalexm
very poor products all around, i just got NavTool with built in phone mirroring great unit,
I disagree, I've been running my NavIKS for two years now and haven't had a single problem. It's running great and I use it nearly everyday, especially for the back up camera. Never knew about the wifi version though. Will have to do some more research. As for Netflix and Youtoube mirroring, I feel like it is a limitation of the iPhone. We tried the same thing with my wife's 6 and it didn't work, either.
Old 05-19-15, 07:57 AM
lexusalexm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's why i got rid of it, with my NavTool both Netflix and YouTube work perfect
Old 05-19-15, 10:01 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Well I broke down and bought the naviks mirroring device with wifi. I love all the apps for my car and cannot pass up having them displayed on my nav screen, fit example seeing my Dashcommand app with real time speed, rpm, o2 sensor voltage, engine coolant temp, etc.

When everything is done I plan to do a very comprehensive DIY.
Old 05-19-15, 10:44 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Sweet! I'm looking forward to this! Does the mirror require the normal NavIKS unit too, or is it a stand alone unit?
Old 05-19-15, 10:57 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Sweet! I'm looking forward to this! Does the mirror require the normal NavIKS unit too, or is it a stand alone unit?
It plugs into vid 1 of the normal naviks unit. As far as I understand, there are no wires running into cabin with this device. Only wire would be the isimple fm modulator that will need to be plugged into phone to get sound if playing movies. I also checked and movie apps like hulu play, which would be a totally fine substitute for netflix in my opinion..
Old 05-19-15, 11:13 AM
NovaRnder
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexBrett
It plugs into vid 1 of the normal naviks unit. As far as I understand, there are no wires running into cabin with this device. Only wire would be the isimple fm modulator that will need to be plugged into phone to get sound if playing movies. I also checked and movie apps like hulu play, which would be a totally fine substitute for netflix in my opinion..

maybe you just need to jailbreak your iphone...

also can you just buy the mirroring unit that plugs into video 1 input? I already have the Naviks without mirroring
Old 05-19-15, 01:00 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NovaRnder
maybe you just need to jailbreak your iphone...

also can you just buy the mirroring unit that plugs into video 1 input? I already have the Naviks without mirroring
Yes you can just buy the mirroring unit if you already have the naviks video interface. Check out the eBay website. I have no idea how to jailbreak :-P
Old 05-19-15, 03:31 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Def looks like it's worth the interest. Hoping to see how it turns out and your review! Good luck!

PS.only issue that I could possibly forsee would be whether video and audio would sync up. I specifically hardwire all my audio connections to avoid any lag between onscreen spoken word and audio match up. Something to keep in mind as some Bluetooth synced audio appears to have lag to spoken words on screen.

Last edited by ShawnOk; 05-19-15 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-19-15, 06:47 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah I hope there is no lag too.
Old 05-19-15, 07:09 PM
Options2k
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default NavTool or Naviks

Originally Posted by lexusalexm
that's why i got rid of it, with my NavTool both Netflix and YouTube work perfect
I just want to mirror my iphone 6 and display GPS on the main navigation screen. Perhaps add a back-up camera sometime down the road. Which one is better for these tasks - NavTool or a Naviks? How is the iphone connection to the chosen tool?

There is a sale going on for a NavTool so it would be great to know the answer from the people who have used these products.

Thanks.
Old 05-19-15, 07:19 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

For a backup camera you must have either NavIKS or NavTool. I went with NAVIKS b'c of price. I feel they are very comparable products. I believe both give 2 video input to the OEM screen. I personally feel the NavIKS install is easier than NavTool, at least from the instruction manuals I've seen for each respectively.

For Apple integration, I'm using the iSimple IS76Pro, which allows me to play video, play music, and charge all at the same time from my Gen3 iPod. When I wife connects her iPhone 6, we have a 30pin to lighting adapter. So bacically, I ran an RCA to the trunk for Vid1 from the glove box which I can connect to either the iPod or to the Asus Media player. Vid2 is specific for the camera and only activates when I gear into Reverse.
http://www.pac-audio.com/productDeta...&CategoryID=36

Additionally, you can check out my build for some good info on products including the NavIKS, Vaistech, etc... The last pages might be the most applicable to you. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...on-naviks.html

Last edited by ShawnOk; 05-19-15 at 07:28 PM.