SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Step by Step Extended Antenna Replacement

Old 05-07-15, 06:09 PM
SrWilliams
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Step by Step Extended Antenna Replacement

Alright:

For over two years I had been trying to rid myself of that long antiquated extended antenna that dated my car. Could not get a definitive answer or how-to on the mod, until I ran into the guidance provided by Mandyfig and BB430. After reading there posts I finally decided to give the mod a try. I successfully completed the mod and I would rate the difficulty a 1 or 2 on the scale of 10 difficulty. It is so easy that I am ashamed that it took me so long to do it.

I am going to provide step-by-step instructions on how to do the actual replacement, hoping to not leave anything to guess work.

Understand that this mod does not belong to me, as it is the hard work of two individuals---Mandyfig and BB430. they are the creators and authors of the mod. I am going to try to put pictures and derailed explanations to the work they performed. I believe this is necessary because when you read their instructions the task will appear daunting---that is, until you actually start doing the work and you understand just how easy it is. But to read the instructions it may seem scary because it sounds more difficulty than what it is. SO, I will give step by step pictures to flush out the instructions Mandyfig and BB430 provide. Hopefully the pictures will really simplify the instructions.

Alright, I am going to copy and post instructions that BB430 posted in one of my earlier threads where he set forth the instructions. It is these instructions that I followed to the tee and that i will be putting pictures to so that they can be more easily understood. Here is what BB430 wrote in its entirety before we dissect it:

"The Tundra antenna has the right shape and size to fit our car with the use of our colored antenna cap. You do need to get the retainer off the Tundra cap which is metal and very easy to just knock off. Once off, you need to remove the little bump that was holding the metal cap. It's only like I/16 of inch bump and I just filed it of like nothing. From there you will know what's needed to do to it. I cut the aluminum tube because it's 3 inches too long. You can just bolt it back on using the power antenna's black sleeve and color cap with the chrome retaining nut from the Tundra's antenna (since it's the right size) and be done with it. But I took the extra step of trying to secure it better by shaping the holder that comes with the Tundra antenna so that it really wouldn't move at all. That's it!! You can then use any stubby antenna of your choice to screw it on. The whole process took me about 15 minutes after the power antenna comes off. Trust me, it really is the right part to do it correctly and you retain the OEM look of the antenna.
The thing I didn't like about the Celica antenna was that it's not the right fit, the retainer is not the correct angle and you can't retain the OEM look (see the photos I had in that thread).
Like I said, get the Tundra antenna and compare it to the SC power antenna and you will be so happy that it's the right size and shape. If not, you can always return it back to the dealer and cuss me out here.
On my mod, you don't cut anything to the SC's antenna therefore if you decided to change back, nothing was cut from the SC antenna."

Before we go to work and dissent the above instructions, I suggest you read Mandyfig's thread on antenna replacement. Read all three pages as they will provide a good foundation for the mod. I believe even BB430 used the thread as a jump off point. BB430 even chimed in on page 3 of the thread. Here is the thread. take time to read it:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...nna-is-in.html

If I did not copy the URL correct it is a thread by Mandyfig entitled "S2000 Antenna is in" Do a search for it

Now lets go to work!!!

1. The first thing you have to do is totally disassemble your trunk. This is mandatory and the most difficult and time consuming part. Once the trunk is disassembled the antenna mod will take about ten minutes. Here are the two cites that I used to disassemble the trunk.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...tall-image.jpg

Here is the link to poqman's thread. #51 shows the order to remove. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...r-install.html. ONLY GO TO PAGE 51 of the thread.

Now in removing the trunk pieces use the above 2 sources. You will have to remove about 20 plastic screws, they do not screw out, but pull out. Use a small flat head screw driver to pry them out. Don’t use too much pressure as you will make them unusable and you do want to reuse them. Put them in a plastic bag as you will need to reuse each and every one of them. If you lose a couple call Sewell’s Lexus and they sell them for $1.18 a piece. Ask me how I know!!

Here are a couple of pictures showing you just how far to the bone you have to strip down the trunk area. The trunk should be taken down to the bare bone. Like I said this is the only ting difficult about the mod.
Attached Thumbnails Step by Step Extended Antenna Replacement-trunk-1.jpg   Step by Step Extended Antenna Replacement-trunk-2.jpg  

Last edited by SrWilliams; 05-07-15 at 06:14 PM.
Old 05-07-15, 06:23 PM
SrWilliams
Driver

2. Now that we have completely gutted out trunk, the next step is raw actual antenna mod, which is the really easy part. It is easy sailing from here. Go to the outsode of the car and remove the screw holding the actual antenna on the outside of the car. I am providing my pictures of the screw but I believe Mandyfig took an excellent picture of the screw in his thread. I will attach his superb picture as it is an excellent job. Now to be honest with you I could not figure out what tool you use to loosen the screw. I simply used very carefully a flat head screw driver. Hopefully, Mandyfig and BB430 can chime in and provide a better tool to use. And save that antenna screw because you will be reusing it
Attached Thumbnails Step by Step Extended Antenna Replacement-bolt.png  

Last edited by SrWilliams; 05-07-15 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-07-15, 06:43 PM
SrWilliams
Driver

Now here are my pictures of the screw being loosened and the small antenna housing that is painted the color of your car being removed, along with the antenna screw. There is also a little rubber gasket. You will be reusing the rubber gasket, the antenna screw and the small painted housing. So, put all in a baggie.
Attached Thumbnails Step by Step Extended Antenna Replacement-bolt-2.jpg   Step by Step Extended Antenna Replacement-bolt-3.jpg   Step by Step Extended Antenna Replacement-bolt-4.jpg   Step by Step Extended Antenna Replacement-bolt-5.jpg  
Old 05-07-15, 07:07 PM
SrWilliams
Driver

3. We are now going to remove the ENTIRE antenna assembly. To do this all you have to do is go inside the trunk area and loosen one screw. That's it. Once that screw id loosened the entire antenna ssembly is going to be dislodged for removal. ONE SCREW!!! provided an excellent picture of the location of the screw. Mandyfig

Now don't be foolish like me and look for the screw at the bottom of the antenna assembly. The arrow in his picture is pointing to a screw or bolt to the side. Follow the arrow and you will see the one bolt or screw that needs to be loosened. Also, remember that hole where the antenna bolt and screw are located because when you put in the new antenna you will reuse that hole as an anchor. Don't worry I will show you when we get to the install of the new antenna. Like I said, Mandyfig did an excellent job on the below two pictures:
Attached Thumbnails Step by Step Extended Antenna Replacement-scew.png   Step by Step Extended Antenna Replacement-scew-2.png  

Last edited by SrWilliams; 05-07-15 at 08:00 PM.
Old 05-07-15, 07:36 PM
SrWilliams
Driver

Once you loosen that one screw the entire antenna and its motor assembly can be pulled out from the bottom of the trunk. It simply falls thru to the trunk for removal. It is just that easy. Unplug the motor wires and the male antenna plug and ****** the ENTIRE ASSEMBLY OUT leaving nothing behind! Here are some pictures showing you how the antenna assembly becomes disengaged once that one screw is removed.
Attached Thumbnails Step by Step Extended Antenna Replacement-drop-1.jpg   Step by Step Extended Antenna Replacement-drop-2.jpg   Step by Step Extended Antenna Replacement-drop-3.jpg   Step by Step Extended Antenna Replacement-drop-4jpg.jpg   Step by Step Extended Antenna Replacement-drop-5.jpg  

Last edited by SrWilliams; 05-07-15 at 07:44 PM.
Old 05-07-15, 07:55 PM
SrWilliams
Driver

We are now ready to install the new antenna, which is as easy as removing the old antenna. For this part I will be using BB430's instructions and for each step he specifies I will be adding pictures to show what exactly he is describing. I have very detailed pictures of each step he outlines. It is 11:00 pm and I want to be fresh when I lay out each step of his with the step by step pictures. And so let's pick back up on this tomorrow. I promise I will finish this tomorrow

Thanks for everyone's patience.
Old 05-10-15, 02:38 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

Looks great so far!
Old 05-10-15, 03:33 PM
SrWilliams
Driver

Sorry every one:

Bear with me I had to stop for a moment and get some work out for my job before they fired me. I finished the work on my job this Sunday night and I will complete the rest of the instructions tomorrow.

Thanks for every ones patience---Got to make a living
Old 05-10-15, 03:52 PM
SrWilliams
Driver

Okay, I am back and let's get this puppy installed.

Installation

1. The first thing we now need to do, if you have not done so far is purchase your replacement antenna. I consider two antennas. I first wanted to go with Mandyfig's recommended Toyota Celica Antenna, but I could not find it on eBay. Mandyfig worked with me and he too could no longer find it.

I then considered and went with the Tundra antenna recommended by BB430. He represented that it needed no modifications to install because it lined u perfectly with the body of our car. HE WAS ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!!! I did notice that Mandyfig's recommended antenna still needed to be modified and jerryrigged with the installation. Not with the Tundra. BB430 said you will thank the day you purchased it when you go to install it and he was so right that I literally teared in happiness when it came to install.

So, go with the Tundra antenna. One last thing, When I was at the Toyota dealershipI priced both antennas and the Celica antenna cost more than the Tundra.

BB430 gave the art number for the Tundra antenna. Here it is:

Finally found a antenna that fits our SC430. 2006 Toyota Tundra antenna assembly. Part # 86300-AF020.
"This is almost perfect fit and replace the power antenna that we use."

Again, thanks so much BB430.

Caution: Be careful. I followed BB430's advice and went to the Toyota dealership (not the Lexus Dealership) and purchased the Tundra antenna. But be careful I shopped several dealerships and they each had a different price with their being a twenty to thirty dollar difference. So shop around. I need up paying $58 for it.

Now here is a picture of the Tundra side by side with the SC430 power antenna. Please note that the entire power motor antenna assembly is removed from the car and will not be put back in
Attached Thumbnails Step by Step Extended Antenna Replacement-tundra-1.jpg   Step by Step Extended Antenna Replacement-tundra-2.jpg  

Last edited by SrWilliams; 05-10-15 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05-10-15, 04:38 PM
SrWilliams
Driver

2. Remember in the last frame I said to cut down the stem of the Tundra antenna stem. Where here are some pictures of me doing just that
Attached Thumbnails Step by Step Extended Antenna Replacement-cut-1.jpg   Step by Step Extended Antenna Replacement-cut-2.jpg   Step by Step Extended Antenna Replacement-cut-3.jpg   Step by Step Extended Antenna Replacement-cut-4.jpg  
Old 05-10-15, 04:45 PM
SrWilliams
Driver

3. For our next step in the installation, I want to go back to a previous posted picture and focus out attention. We are going to take the black housing of the SC430 antenna and use it to replace the black housing mount on the Tundra antenna. Here is the picture again for us to use as a basis
Attached Thumbnails Step by Step Extended Antenna Replacement-tundra-1.jpg  
Old 05-10-15, 05:24 PM
SrWilliams
Driver

Now we are going to do a step by step on replacing the metal black mounting housing of the Tundra antenna with the Rubber mounting housing of the SC430 antenna.

The following pictures are the removal of the METAL black mounting housing of the Tundra antenna. Here is what BB43o wrote in his instructions in a previous thread:

"The Tundra antenna has a metal holder on the antenna, just put the body on a vise to secure the tube and gently tap the holder out. Once its off you will see a small bump that needs to file out to smooth, then use the black base holder from our antenna to replace it so that the colored outer base can be reused and fitted perfectly. You do need to use the chrome cap that comes with it."

Frankly, this is one part of BB430's instructions that actually scared me. I was like man I don't have a vice grip and I am going to have to pay some shop to use their vice Grip---NOOOOO. NOT At ALL!!! The metal cap on the Tundra is very soft metal. All I did was take a pair of hand clamps or grips and took a flat head screw driver and popped it right off. As simple as that. You guys know what kind of hand grip I am talking about---looks like players but clamps or locks down on an object. You hold it in your hand. Guys Like I said I am not mechanically inclined as you can tell by my descriptions (so if I can do this anyone can). Any way here is my pictures and I never left the house to get the metal cap off of the Tundra antenna
Attached Thumbnails Step by Step Extended Antenna Replacement-housing-1.jpg   Step by Step Extended Antenna Replacement-h-2.jpg   Step by Step Extended Antenna Replacement-h-3.jpg   Step by Step Extended Antenna Replacement-h4.jpg   Step by Step Extended Antenna Replacement-h5.jpg  

Old 05-10-15, 05:29 PM
SrWilliams
Driver

Remaining pictures to go with the above step. the last two pictures show the metal housing and cap of the Tundra antenna completely removed. The chrome screw cap you will not use because you will use the metal screw cap from the SC430 antenna. In fact all of the pieces you see in the next to the last picture you can discard
Attached Thumbnails Step by Step Extended Antenna Replacement-h6.jpg   Step by Step Extended Antenna Replacement-h7.jpg   Step by Step Extended Antenna Replacement-h8.jpg   Step by Step Extended Antenna Replacement-h9.jpg   Step by Step Extended Antenna Replacement-h10.jpg  

Last edited by SrWilliams; 05-10-15 at 05:43 PM.
Old 05-10-15, 05:57 PM
SrWilliams
Driver

4. In our next step I want to again turn to BB430's instructions to lend meat to it by pictures. He wrote:

"The Tundra antenna has a metal holder on the antenna, just put the body on a vise to secure the tube and gently tap the holder out. Once its off you will see a small bump that needs to file out to smooth, then use the black base holder from our antenna to replace it so that the colored outer base can be reused and fitted perfectly. You do need to use the chrome cap that comes with it."

Okay let's see what "bump" is he talking about. Well I show it in the pictures. All I did was take a regular file and smooth it out. The metal is really soft and it took a few strokes and the bump was gone---THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID
Attached Thumbnails Step by Step Extended Antenna Replacement-h10.jpg   Step by Step Extended Antenna Replacement-b1.jpg  
Old 05-10-15, 06:11 PM
SrWilliams
Driver

Here are some pictures of metal bump or hump filed down. The second and third pictures are of the rubber black mount from the SC430 antenna being transferred to the Tundra antenna.
Attached Thumbnails Step by Step Extended Antenna Replacement-a1.jpg   Step by Step Extended Antenna Replacement-c1.jpg   Step by Step Extended Antenna Replacement-c2.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Step by Step Extended Antenna Replacement