Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what rear camera to purchase?

i got this unit from navtool http://www.navtool.com/LexusSC_02-10.aspx

can anyone recommend good camera?
Old 04-28-15, 06:25 PM
bb430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How and where do you plan to mount the camera? Some gets the license plate frame camera or you want to mount the camera in between the license lights? I would want to figure this out first and find a camera with wide angle like 120° or so from eBay. I don't think the brand makes any difference since they are all made in China.
Old 04-28-15, 06:26 PM
lexusalexm
Driver School Candidate

i have no idea where and how to mount it, looking for ideas
Old 04-28-15, 06:53 PM
bb430
Lead Lap

Do a search here for DIY backup camera sc430.
Old 04-28-15, 06:54 PM
lexusalexm
Driver School Candidate

ok thank you
Old 04-29-15, 05:30 PM
DiggerJim
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexusalexm
can anyone recommend good camera?
Don't get either of the ones listed in my signature - the first has a raft of configuration issues as well as going dead the first week. The second works great but is already corroding. The chrome coating is pitting.

I am thinking of ditching the license plate frame version and going to one of the small cube ones I can mount in the license plate recess. Then I'll go with a flat black version and not worry about the corrosion I'm seeing with the chromed finish one.
Old 04-29-15, 08:21 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

I had the same problem with flaking chrome with my CrimeStopper 180 degree CMOS Black Chrome Plate Camera from Walmart.com. I stripped it with sandpaper and just spray painted it with gloss black spray paint after removing the camera guts... just two screws on the back. If you purchase the chrome finish, I would suggest spraying it down with gloss clear coat before installing. The chrome would last a lot longer for sure. It's a great looking finish.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Crimestopp...hrome/41253707
Old 04-30-15, 03:50 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Hey Shawn, the Wally site says it is sold out... :-(

I too am looking for a camera that is indeed waterproof with 170-180 degree viewing and can be used at night. There are many out there on amazon with 4.5 star reviews.

A common complaint appears to be the camera not being waterproof and the power wire becoming hot if the camera is left on too long.

Can someone tell me where you connect the power wires?
Old 04-30-15, 05:09 AM
Taysdad
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my experience, the most commonly used/recommended rearview camera amongst the professional installers is the Alpine HCE-C155. While not the cheapest camera, almost every install professional I've spoken with recommends it as their top choice for best value and quality build. It has a very wide field of view coupled with great nighttime imaging and the ability to add guidelines for backing up.

I am having a new head unit and rearview camera installed professionally in my SC430 and after talking with around 10+ installers on what rearview camera they recommend, all but one of them picked this camera.

Michael
Old 04-30-15, 08:01 AM
lexusalexm
Driver School Candidate

i'm also looking into alpine one
Old 04-30-15, 08:13 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I would also highly recommend the Alpine cameras, hands down! Excellent build and quality at a, well, commensurate price. (buy once and be done!)
That said, my only other choice would be one of the OEM Toyota cameras as "I" have yet to see an issue with any.

Everything else (not speaking of other OEM cameras) to me are sub-par quality. I would personally prefer to install it between the lights than the license plate frame, more for a clean & inconspicuous OEM finish.

Let us know what you decide.
Old 04-30-15, 08:15 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Taysdad
In my experience, the most commonly used/recommended rearview camera amongst the professional installers is the Alpine HCE-C155. While not the cheapest camera, almost every install professional I've spoken with recommends it as their top choice for best value and quality build. It has a very wide field of view coupled with great nighttime imaging and the ability to add guidelines for backing up.

I am having a new head unit and rearview camera installed professionally in my SC430 and after talking with around 10+ installers on what rearview camera they recommend, all but one of them picked this camera.

Michael
Michael, what was this one installer's reason for not picking the Alpine camera? Curious...
Old 04-30-15, 10:25 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

I found the Alpine HCE-C155 on Amazon for $170 but the normal price is $209. You may also need to purchase a license plate bracket for $50.

What I would like to find is an actual Toyota/Lexus part number for a camera.
Old 04-30-15, 12:22 PM
Taysdad
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RX469
Michael, what was this one installer's reason for not picking the Alpine camera? Curious...
That one particular installer was fond of the NAV-TV Cam6 rearview camera.
They also thought the Alpine was a good unit, but they preferred the NAV-TV Cam 6 for:
(1) metal composition vs. plastic
(2) superior ultra low light capability
(3) discrete, easy, low profile mounting

I think it's slightly more pricey than the Alpine unit, but in the same price range.
Honestly, I think I'd be equally happy with the NAV-TV Cam 6 camera too ........it will just depend upon which installer I ultimately choose to use.

The funny thing is.......while every single installer to a person recommended a Kenwood head unit for the SC430, not a single one of those installers thought the Kenwood cameras were good/quality units.

Most installers recommended the DNN992 Excelon HU (some voted the DNX892 or the DNX692 as well) for those who are interested. The DNN992 was most preferred due to its unique screen (glass touch capacitive -- rest of line is either resistive or plastic) with the reverse tilt feature. The DNX892 was sometimes picked for value and the DNX692 for value and a "real" volume **** albeit a small screen.

Last edited by Taysdad; 04-30-15 at 12:23 PM. Reason: can't spell
Old 04-30-15, 03:30 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
Hey Shawn, the Wally site says it is sold out... :-(

I too am looking for a camera that is indeed waterproof with 170-180 degree viewing and can be used at night. There are many out there on amazon with 4.5 star reviews.

A common complaint appears to be the camera not being waterproof and the power wire becoming hot if the camera is left on too long.

Can someone tell me where you connect the power wires?
You can also find it on ebay. I know everyone is recommending an expensive one, either Toyota or Alpine or others. Mine works great and is a great value. I have not had any issues other than the chrome flaking. Great angle of view, night vision, water proof, and amazing video quality with line markers, too. If I had only gave it a few coats of clear coat, it would be absolutely perfect. With that being said, I have no regrets. Didn't have to drill into the bumper, and easy to run wires behind the bumper Styrofoam. If you're not looking to spend a huge amount of money, for $65, I am happy.

As for the power, after connecting the NavIKS, I piggy backed off the same wire that they recommend to connect for video 1 into the harness for the power to the camera, therefore it's not always on and only activates when I shift into reverse avoiding high power consumption and the "hot wire" situation you've mentioned.

Quick Reply: what rear camera to purchase?