SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Vibration at 60mph any ideas ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-15, 03:47 PM
Prasha
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have been driving with this issue for 13 years (51k miles) gave up trying to fix after first 3 years, I blamed the aftermarket 20" Enkei wheels. (now on 3rd tire replacement cycle)

This issue could be the reason for low mpg? (16mpg)
Will this create other maintenance problems over long run?
Old 04-27-15, 10:07 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Prasha
I have been driving with this issue for 13 years (51k miles) gave up trying to fix after first 3 years, I blamed the aftermarket 20" Enkei wheels. (now on 3rd tire replacement cycle)

This issue could be the reason for low mpg? (16mpg)
Will this create other maintenance problems over long run?
...I don't know for sure, but my thought would be that the vibration/shaking ,could help loosen bolts,screws,etc....over a period of time. Now this is just my thought & nothing scientific to it
Old 04-27-15, 10:32 PM
bb430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In my case, I had a steering wheel shake for a good year or so, right after I put on my 19" wheels set without hub rings, my steering rack started to leak. I have since put hub rings on the wheels and replaced the steering rack. Now, all are well and no shake at all.
I seem to remember there's a thread regarding some adjustment that can be made to take out the steering shakes. Maybe someone remembers how and what to do or a search might find the answer to the procedures.
Old 04-28-15, 05:04 AM
rudyH
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bb430
In my case, I had a steering wheel shake for a good year or so, right after I put on my 19" wheels set without hub rings, my steering rack started to leak. I have since put hub rings on the wheels and replaced the steering rack. Now, all are well and no shake at all.
I seem to remember there's a thread regarding some adjustment that can be made to take out the steering shakes. Maybe someone remembers how and what to do or a search might find the answer to the procedures.
That's cool you figured it out. I've read that thread about changing every the settings on the rack. I have no direct knowledge about what exactly that adjustment was doing but I seem to remember the slightest change in adjustment could make the car very hard to turn to the point of making it dangerous. I wouldn't mess with that adjustment if you paid me. I'm assuming it was a preload of some kind. As far as it reducing steering wheel shimmy, it seemed to me that all you were doing is transferring the forces to other component(s). On many cars that adjustment has a very precise narrow spec of force adjustment and not really something you adjust to "see what it does." Your approach is the right approach. I am surprised it needed a rack. That's not usually a wear item but it happens. Out of curiosity, did you try changing the rack bushings first or just decide to go belt and suspenders approach which might be what I would have done as well?
Old 04-28-15, 08:57 AM
bb430
Lead Lap

My rack was leaking to the point of either to rebuild it or swap one with a refurb unit. I choose refurb one. I didn't change any settings on the old and new ones. Maybe as you said it's a wear unit and the fact that it was vibrating didn't help the cause.
Old 04-28-15, 09:10 AM
rudyH
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bb430
My rack was leaking to the point of either to rebuild it or swap one with a refurb unit. I choose refurb one. I didn't change any settings on the old and new ones. Maybe as you said it's a wear unit and the fact that it was vibrating didn't help the cause.
Maybe so. Here's to many many smooth miles for you!
Old 04-28-15, 10:45 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had my car for very meny years now always had a shimmy, vibration in my car at 55 to 65 mph. could not get it out. a guy that dose race cars alignments just alignment my car the car go's straight, no vibrations or shimming will help with tire ware. never been more happier. at 100 mph nice.

Last edited by bacardi11; 04-28-15 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-28-15, 11:15 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

from what I see its in the alignment worked for me.
Old 04-28-15, 01:26 PM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Meticulous alignment and balancing, and be very careful with aftermarket wheels. Seems to be little room for error with these cars.
Old 04-28-15, 01:37 PM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

kjcole
no road force balancing I have 18" 3 pic. Work Rim

Last edited by bacardi11; 04-28-15 at 01:43 PM.
Old 04-28-15, 02:13 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by bacardi11
from what I see its in the alignment worked for me.
Never heard alignment being the cause of vibration. I have read a number of articles that specifically say alignment cannot cause a vibration. Please explain how alignment can effect vibration.
Old 04-28-15, 02:31 PM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

iolmaster
all I can say when the guy did my alignment I have no more vibrations or shimming in the front of my car. belive me I would no.
Old 04-28-15, 04:06 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

iolmaster
all I can say when the guy did my alignment I have no more vibrations or shimming in the front of my car. belive me I would no.
Not doubting that, I just want to know how alignment could be the cause.
Old 04-28-15, 06:24 PM
rudyH
Pole Position

Originally Posted by iolmaster
Not doubting that, I just want to know how alignment could be the cause.
This would be rare but it's possible. Now we're getting into bench racing here as opposed to mastered knowledge. It's possible on a car than can have all 4 wheels aligned to get a "corkscrew" motion to the body. Picture the car chassis in all three axis and as one wheel torques one way, it's possible for an opposing wheel to in effect "wind up" against the first wheel. I don't think I'm explaining it well. So what you have is a car chassis yawing and the front steer wheels just keep tracking ahead so the steering wheel is just what we see. The best example of this I have is when a leaf broke in a rear spring on the right side of an old MGB which I can tell you had VERY direct steering. Older Porsches can suffer from this torquing as well causing wheel vibrations at high speeds although in that case it's usually that one of the torsion bars wasn't set correctly. I think I'm taking too long and not making sense but maybe someone else can articulate it better. Visualize the chassis in 3D space and maybe you can make sense of my rambling. There's got to be a chassis guy on the forum somewhere.
Old 04-28-15, 06:26 PM
rudyH
Pole Position

iolmaster
I absolutely believe you. We take so many simple things for granted. Tire guys tell me they have a lot of customers that just refuse to do an alignment and then blame the tires for all sorts of things. From reading your posts, I have no doubt you would know if there was a shimmy in your car.

Quick Reply: Vibration at 60mph any ideas ?