SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Antenna Mod Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-15, 02:03 PM
SrWilliams
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antenna Mod Help

I am trying to do the antenna upgrade that Mandyfig (moderator) introduced a while back. He used a Honda S2000 antenna and screwed it into a Celica antenna Base

But when I went to purchase the Celica antenna base like Mandyfig used I got lost. When I went on eBay I simply did not know what part to buy for my base. Could someone please direct me to the right base or part to purchase. in order to have something to screw the S2000 antenna into

All of the Celica antennas on eBay are powdered. I do not know if that is the one Mandyfig used for his base

Here is the thread that I am using to do the mod. I jut need ti know what Celica antenna is being used as a base so i can purchase it off of eBay

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...nna-is-in.html

Any help will be greatly appreciated
Old 04-22-15, 03:04 PM
bb430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Before you modify your antenna, read my reply on page3 of that thread. I have found the perfect replacement for it and it can save you lots of headache and it's much simpler install.
I used 2006 Toyota Tundra antenna assembly. Part # 86300-AF020. It's the same shape and size of our power antenna without the motor and cost $54 at the time from Toyota dealer. Buy it and compare. You can always return it if you don't think it will work, but for sure I know it works. I have looked and done lots of comparison and found this to be just perfect.

Last edited by bb430; 04-22-15 at 03:26 PM.
Old 04-22-15, 03:33 PM
bb430
Lead Lap

SrWilliams maybe you can start a new thread on this DIY since I didn't do one with photos and proper steps.
Old 04-22-15, 03:53 PM
SrWilliams
Driver

Originally Posted by bb430
Before you modify your antenna, read my reply on page3 of that thread. I have found the perfect replacement for it and it can save you lots of headache and it's much simpler install.
I used 2006 Toyota Tundra antenna assembly. Part # 86300-AF020. It's the same shape and size of our power antenna without the motor and cost $54 at the time from Toyota dealer. Buy it and compare. You can always return it if you don't think it will work, but for sure I know it works. I have looked and done lots of comparison and found this to be just perfect.
BB430:

I did study your post on that thread and was very much drawn to what you did but as I tried to follow your directions it appeared that you had to do a lot of modifications to the unit you purchased. Maybe I read it wrong but it did not appear to be a plug and play. I was disappointed by this and decided to look at what Madfig did b/c it seemed a lot simpler.

I hope I am wrong and read your steps wrong. But if you look at what you wrote in your instrutions it appears you had to do a lot of modifications to get the antenna base to fit.

Please let me know I am wrong b/c i would really like to do your exact mod.

Also with your mod did you retain the reception on AM & FM Stations
Old 04-22-15, 04:41 PM
bb430
Lead Lap

Sorry for the misunderstanding and confusions.
The Tundra antenna has the right shape and size to fit our car with the use of our colored antenna cap. You do need to get the retainer off the Tundra cap which is metal and very easy to just knock off. Once off, you need to remove the little bump that was holding the metal cap. It's only like I/16 of inch bump and I just filed it of like nothing. From there you will know what's needed to do to it. I cut the aluminum tube because it's 3 inches too long. You can just bolt it back on using the power antenna's black sleeve and color cap with the chrome retaining nut from the Tundra's antenna (since it's the right size) and be done with it. But I took the extra step of trying to secure it better by shaping the holder that comes with the Tundra antenna so that it really wouldn't move at all. That's it!! You can then use any stubby antenna of your choice to screw it on. The whole process took me about 15 minutes after the power antenna comes off. Trust me, it really is the right part to do it correctly and you retain the OEM look of the antenna.
The thing I didn't like about the Celica antenna was that it's not the right fit, the retainer is not the correct angle and you can't retain the OEM look (see the photos I had in that thread).
Like I said, get the Tundra antenna and compare it to the SC power antenna and you will be so happy that it's the right size and shape. If not, you can always return it back to the dealer and cuss me out here.
On my mod, you don't cut anything to the SC's antenna therefore if you decided to change back, nothing was cut from the SC antenna.

Last edited by bb430; 04-22-15 at 04:49 PM.
Old 04-22-15, 04:52 PM
SrWilliams
Driver

BB430:

Okay I am going to go for it. Your instructions here make it quite clear and so I am going to follow your lead.

What antenna did you purchase to screw on. I want to get the exact antenna you got so I can replicate to the Tee your setup.

You never answered the question about reception. Can you still get am/fm reception like with the original antenna

Also where do you suggest i purchase the Tundra power base from
Old 04-22-15, 05:02 PM
bb430
Lead Lap

I bought the 7" TRD stubby from the bay and it screw on perfect. The AM is perfect but the FM does lose some receptions. Since it's a lot shorter than the power one (2 feet long vs 7" long) you kind of expect that. You can get a stubby that's 9" or even 12" long to get better receptions but the look kind of beat the purpose of doing the swap.
Just so you know, I get about 70% of my favorites stations perfect and the others need to turn up the volumes.
Old 04-22-15, 05:06 PM
bb430
Lead Lap

Regarding the Tundra antenna, get it from Toyota dealer. The part number is in the previous reply. I remember paying $54 for it.

Here you go
2006 Toyota Tundra antenna assembly. Part # 86300-AF020.
Old 04-22-15, 05:14 PM
SrWilliams
Driver

I bought the 7" TRD stubby from the bay and it screw on perfect. The AM is perfect but the FM does lose some receptions. Since it's a lot shorter than the power one (2 feet long vs 7" long) you kind of expect that. You can get a stubby that's 9" or even 12" long to get better receptions but the look kind of beat the purpose of doing the swap.
Just so you know, I get about 70% of my favorites stations perfect and the others need to turn up the volumes.
Okay I am on this. I will go tomorrow to the toyota dealership and get the base. I believe you are saying go on eBay and look for the 7" TRD stubby, is that correct?

I will do the photos of the mod as you requested, and I am going to follow your guide step by step. Just please address that Last questionI posed so I can be certain about your stubby purchase (ebay or not)
Old 04-22-15, 05:23 PM
bb430
Lead Lap

I was re reading the old thread and it says the black support was not used, on my mod I did use the black support (I call it retainer) since it will add strength to the assembly. Kind of emulate the OEM install.
Old 04-22-15, 05:24 PM
bb430
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SrWilliams
Okay I am on this. I will go tomorrow to the toyota dealership and get the base. I believe you are saying go on eBay and look for the 7" TRD stubby, is that correct?

I will do the photos of the mod as you requested, and I am going to follow your guide step by step. Just please address that Last questionI posed so I can be certain about your stubby purchase (ebay or not)
eBay it is.
Old 04-22-15, 05:26 PM
SrWilliams
Driver

eBay it is.
Great I am on my way. Wish me luck as I will make my purchases tomorrow

Thanks so much for your patience
Old 04-22-15, 05:37 PM
bb430
Lead Lap

Talk about patience, the tear down of the trunk is the time consuming one, but once you are there everything else is easy. Good luck.

Just so to make it clear, the only 2 things you reuse from the SC antenna are the black retainer and the color outside cap.

Last edited by bb430; 04-22-15 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Add comments.
Old 04-23-15, 09:10 AM
bb430
Lead Lap

The SC430 OEM antenna, the metal holder sleeve from Tundra antenna, the black outside cap from the Tundra's antenna. These two you replace with theSC430 antenna's black holder sleeve and the color outside cap.

The end result.

The TRD stubby antenna.

The other chrome stubby antenna I am using, looks good but worse reception.
Old 04-23-15, 09:31 AM
SrWilliams
Driver

Heh BB43:

Interesting that you just posted b/c I just spent the last 30 minutes trying to find the exact same antenna stubby you used on eBay. There are no 7 inch TRD stubbies there. They come up as only 4.7 inches.

Sorry for the bother but I am trying to get the exact same one you have and can't seem to find it. Could you look on eBay to see if you see it, or could you direct me to the seller of the one you have so I can purchase from him

Quick Reply: Antenna Mod Help