Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-15, 10:41 PM
Options2k
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Upgrades

Hello,
My 06 SC is nearing 70K miles and I am thinking of doing a few upgrades. These are:

* Body Kit including hood, if available
* Lower the car
* Paint the calipers

I am leaning towards a front bumper, front fenders, side steps, possibly a hood and possibly a rear bumper (although the rear of a 2006 looks good as it is!). I really like the ARTISAN kit but also like AIMGAIN. I realize that ARTISAN rear bumper may need a lot of modification so I may NOT go with it. This brand has a hood that I really like. AIMGAIN really looks good too especially for a black color (mine is black too) and may not need as much mods for the rear bumper. Seems to be more expensive. Cannot decide Can you please help? Which one would you go for and why? Which one fits better (I intend to do this myself)? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Where can I buy ARTISAN locally? Where can I get AIMGAIN for a reasonable price?

Next, I would like to lower the car a bit. I have 19" wheels with 245/40 Michelins all around. What is my best option to lower the car for a reasonable cost? Since I am nearing 70K what else one would recommend as replacement in suspension components to maintain a good smooth ride?

Finally, I would like to paint the calipers. What color....red? What is the best way? Can you please point me to the best available paint?

I love my SC and would like to give it a bit of TLC that my wife's GX gets from me on a routine basis. And yes, I will do the timing belt replacement sometime in the next 6-7K miles, before October of this year.

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

Cheers.
Old 04-21-15, 11:48 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Options2k
Hello,
My 06 SC is nearing 70K miles and I am thinking of doing a few upgrades. These are:

* Body Kit including hood, if available
* Lower the car
* Paint the calipers

I am leaning towards a front bumper, front fenders, side steps, possibly a hood and possibly a rear bumper (although the rear of a 2006 looks good as it is!). I really like the ARTISAN kit but also like AIMGAIN. I realize that ARTISAN rear bumper may need a lot of modification so I may NOT go with it. This brand has a hood that I really like. AIMGAIN really looks good too especially for a black color (mine is black too) and may not need as much mods for the rear bumper. Seems to be more expensive. Cannot decide Can you please help? Which one would you go for and why? Which one fits better (I intend to do this myself)? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Where can I buy ARTISAN locally? Where can I get AIMGAIN for a reasonable price?

Next, I would like to lower the car a bit. I have 19" wheels with 245/40 Michelins all around. What is my best option to lower the car for a reasonable cost? Since I am nearing 70K what else one would recommend as replacement in suspension components to maintain a good smooth ride?

Finally, I would like to paint the calipers. What color....red? What is the best way? Can you please point me to the best available paint?

I love my SC and would like to give it a bit of TLC that my wife's GX gets from me on a routine basis. And yes, I will do the timing belt replacement sometime in the next 6-7K miles, before October of this year.

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

Cheers.
...hey Options this is Ed, I thought I might give my comment since I just peeked in on the board. I can't help right off hand with the body kit. I think that will be a personal choice as to which one you like best. Take into consideration which one will be readily available,cost, which will or might need the least modification,etc..., for me & with any mod that I do, it comes down to which one I like the best or really want. I would rather spend a little more, but be totally satisfied & I can use my car for an example. I bought my kit from a member here, it has the Job Design rear bumper & side skirts, the front bumper is a custom made 06 Sc & 08 Crown Athlete. I probably have another $1k tied into the front bumper alone, to get it fitted correctly & repainted, on top of my purchase price...but I'm VERY happy with what I have & in the end,you should be also.
The car can be lowered in many different manners, there are coilovers,springs & air ride, which are the most common.Air ride being the most expensive,then coilovers & lastly springs.My car is presently on springs and i'm very happy with the ride.I initially bought them,because I got a great price & couldn't afford to do the coilovers at that time.I've been riding on springs now for about 3yrs & have no complaints.I just did the IS rear sway bar & my ride got even better...so for me,I'm not even considering coilovers now.The downfall to my setup is that i don't have the flexibility of adjustments,but I'm ok with that right now. I am still tossing around the idea of going air ride, because of my car being so low & having the option of raising it when needed for some speed bumps & to get in/out of some driveways.
Painted calipers is a mod that will be done very soon by me. I haven't made up my mind if I'm going to do the paint by brush method or spray painting.Brushing will take less masking of other parts, but spraying may be easier,if masking everything is not an issue for you.Either way, the prep work of cleaning the calipers will be the most important step
Old 04-22-15, 09:05 AM
kuWuPt
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 44 Posts

Upgrades..
-As far as suspensions are concerned it really depends on your budget. I would recommend coilovers because at 70k adding springs could weaken the shocks more and can cause those to go out faster.
-If you lower your car definitely do the IS-f sway bar upgrade
-caster bushings are notorious to go out on these cars causing premature wear on your tires, get some figs bushings.
-Brakes, I would highly recommend LS400 brakes, bigger is better. Also do a brake fluid flush.
-Body kit would be your personal preference really.

Here is my build thread maybe it can help
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ld-thread.html
Old 04-22-15, 11:43 AM
reelbb
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw a full Aimgain kit 02 on Japan Yahoo auctions a while back. It was about 3K + shipping. I can personally tell you the Aimgain is a perfect fit with little or no additional bodywork needed.

As for the Artisan, it does need quite a bit of work from the shop for proper fitment. KuWuPT can help you out of the specifics. There are a few distributors out of LA that can get one to you for about 3500 last time I checked.

Good luck and post progress pics
Old 04-22-15, 12:06 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

All of these kits you are looking for can be purchased through Impact Performance 415-602-5338. That's where a few of us here get our Japan Kits from. Both Nat and I got both of our Body Kits through them. For out LS460'S and for our SC's. Realize that these kits aren't just in stock somewhere and that it takes approximately 3-6 months to be made and shipped from Japan. On average japan kits go for 3k-6k plus shipping. You have a 2006 which is the minor change. You may run into issues with the front grill as they are different for your car compared to some of the kits out there. Some are made for the older grill and some use the newer one. For example the kits Nat and I ordered use the newer grill so we will have to purchase that to fit right.
Old 04-23-15, 09:35 PM
Options2k
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kuWuPt
Upgrades..
-As far as suspensions are concerned it really depends on your budget. I would recommend coilovers because at 70k adding springs could weaken the shocks more and can cause those to go out faster.
-If you lower your car definitely do the IS-f sway bar upgrade
-caster bushings are notorious to go out on these cars causing premature wear on your tires, get some figs bushings.

Here is my build thread maybe it can help
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ld-thread.html
Thank you all for your input. I sincerely appreciate it. Based on your input, this is what I figure:

* Lower car with coilovers. Which one....Megan, Tien or CS....and Why? I am looking for a smooth ride. Do you recommend changing out the springs (OEM or aftermarket) when doing coilovers or leaving the original ones is fine?

* Upgrade with sway bars for the front and the rear....with new bushings. I would need part numbers, if possible.

* Paint the calipers when installing the fenders. What is the most popular paint brand?

* Now, the body kit.....I heard the ARTISAN kit has issue with fit. This is the one I was set on and actually was talking to a representative directly. If this is true then I am glad that I opened this thread up. Can someone please verify that ARTISAN kit has issues with the fit. I have no problem starting over with AIMGAIN....just would like to know.

KuWuPt: Your thread of building your car is awesome. I wish I had those skills. I am sure I will sending you PMs for help when I do the coilovers and sway bars.

Reelbb and Ibintab: Thanks for your tips and pointers. I will sure be looking at Yahoo Japan and call Impact Performance.

Ed: Where are you in Texas?

Thanks guys. Just need a bit more help before I start.

Cheers.
Old 04-23-15, 10:01 PM
kuWuPt
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 44 Posts

Anytime bud.
Old 04-26-15, 08:16 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Thank you all for your input. I sincerely appreciate it. Based on your input, this is what I figure:

* Lower car with coilovers. Which one....Megan, Tien or CS....and Why? I am looking for a smooth ride. Do you recommend changing out the springs (OEM or aftermarket) when doing coilovers or leaving the original ones is fine?

* Upgrade with sway bars for the front and the rear....with new bushings. I would need part numbers, if possible.

* Paint the calipers when installing the fenders. What is the most popular paint brand?

* Now, the body kit.....I heard the ARTISAN kit has issue with fit. This is the one I was set on and actually was talking to a representative directly. If this is true then I am glad that I opened this thread up. Can someone please verify that ARTISAN kit has issues with the fit. I have no problem starting over with AIMGAIN....just would like to know.

KuWuPt: Your thread of building your car is awesome. I wish I had those skills. I am sure I will sending you PMs for help when I do the coilovers and sway bars.

Reelbb and Ibintab: Thanks for your tips and pointers. I will sure be looking at Yahoo Japan and call Impact Performance.

Ed: Where are you in Texas?

Thanks guys. Just need a bit more help before I start.

Cheers.
...I'm in Mesquite (DFW area)...but anywhere in Texas is close for me...lol
Old 04-26-15, 10:49 PM
Options2k
Intermediate

Originally Posted by texsexlex
...I'm in Mesquite (DFW area)...but anywhere in Texas is close for me...lol
I am in Houston area....close to it.
Old 04-27-15, 01:34 AM
reelbb
Rookie

[QUOTE=Options2k;9016957]I am in Houston area....close to it.[/QUOTE

I'm in Houston as well. You more than welcome to check out my Aimgain front bumper ( currently very dirty) some weekend that doesn't rain
Old 04-27-15, 01:51 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE=reelbb;9017027]
I am in Houston area....close to it.[/QUOTE

I'm in Houston as well. You more than welcome to check out my Aimgain front bumper ( currently very dirty) some weekend that doesn't rain
Wish I was in Houston
Old 04-27-15, 10:16 PM
texsexlex
Racer

I am in Houston area....close to it.
...I may try to get down there sometime in May or June, then maybe we can hook up with Reelbb. If you got a good restaurant thats serving some good crawfish,the wife is all in,no matter what weekend...lol
Old 04-27-15, 10:35 PM
Options2k
Intermediate

Originally Posted by texsexlex
...I may try to get down there sometime in May or June, then maybe we can hook up with Reelbb. If you got a good restaurant thats serving some good crawfish,the wife is all in,no matter what weekend...lol
Ed, It's a deal. Plenty of seafood places in the area. Houston is heaven for foodies

We can meet in the second half of May. Reelbb can decide based on his availability.
Old 04-27-15, 11:16 PM
reelbb
Rookie

Ed, It's a deal. Plenty of seafood places in the area. Houston is heaven for foodies

We can meet in the second half of May. Reelbb can decide based on his availability.
Options is right, Houston has a killer foodie scene. Everything from food truck festivals, rodeo BBQ, to international chefs galore. IMHO, the crawfish in Houston are the best in the international district. There's more of a Louisiana influence that makes yoy wanna cry

Hit me up and we'll sync everyone schedule together. All members are invited .....
Old 04-28-15, 10:33 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Originally Posted by reelbb
Options is right, Houston has a killer foodie scene. Everything from food truck festivals, rodeo BBQ, to international chefs galore. IMHO, the crawfish in Houston are the best in the international district. There's more of a Louisiana influence that makes yoy wanna cry

Hit me up and we'll sync everyone schedule together. All members are invited .....
.....we went to Lake Charles La. last weekend & went to a place called "Steamboat Bills"...she claims they had the best crawfish she's ever had. When they are in season, that seems to be all that she craves...lol