SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

steering wheel vibration

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-15, 01:08 PM
UGAALF
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering wheel vibration

I have noticed that when pressing on the brakes at 50 MPH and higher my steering wheel starts vibrating and it feels like the car is being tugged a little to the left. This started a couple of weeks ago, any idea what might be causing this?
Old 04-13-15, 01:31 PM
bb430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What wheels are you running? Car is lowerd? Did you hit ant pot holes big time? Did it start all of sudden or it just a became worse and worse?
Check the obvious first like your steering arm, bushings, loose suspension parts. If your car pulled to one side as you said, these are things I would check first. If all were good maybe an alignment would fix it.

Check your brakes too, maybe your brake pads are done.

Last edited by bb430; 04-13-15 at 01:33 PM. Reason: add more comments.
Old 04-13-15, 02:07 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm putting my money on worn or warped rotor or possibly a stuck caliper.

Circle back and let us know what you find out.
Old 04-13-15, 02:11 PM
rudyH
Pole Position

I agree with lol that's been suggested, but as silly as it sounds, check all the lug nuts. They have come loose on cars before.
Old 04-13-15, 04:09 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
I'm putting my money on worn or warped rotor or possibly a stuck caliper.

Circle back and let us know what you find out.
What JohnnyCake said!
Old 04-13-15, 07:10 PM
kuWuPt
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 44 Posts

I just dealt with this issue.. mine was a stuck caliper. Jack your car up and see if your wheels spin freely without any noise and/or resistance. Also if the wheels are not torqued down properly it can cause it too, also alignment and wheels off balance can cause it too.
Old 04-13-15, 09:53 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

I know that many people experience a "shutter" around 55-60 mph, which has become a norm for our cars. I think most owners just live with it. But your case might be different as you're feeling a pull when braking. I would also direct troubleshooting to either rotors or pads.
Old 04-14-15, 03:31 AM
rudyH
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
I know that many people experience a "shutter" around 55-60 mph, which has become a norm for our cars. I think most owners just live with it. But your case might be different as you're feeling a pull when braking. I would also direct troubleshooting to either rotors or pads.
I'm serious when I say if my car shuddered at any speed and that was considered normal, I'd get rid of that car. No offense to anyone but that's ridiculous. No one at Lexus, or any car company of repute, would say "yeah they all do that." Sorry to go off topic but that just jumped out at me.
Old 04-14-15, 05:50 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

just one of many threads... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...el-wiggle.html
Old 04-14-15, 07:50 AM
rudyH
Pole Position

If this link was for me, apologies if it wasn't, I've read a lot of those. I have no idea why certain cars do this but the answer "they all do that" is absolutely silly. Really. Lots of theories from "Lexus screwed up the suspension design" to weird mysterious frequencies because of some weight, length, speed combo of this car. Now I believes tearing wheels vibrate and some have not solved the issue, but refuse to believe it's endemic to the car design. If someone with skin in the game, a suspension designer or someone at a high level of racing tells me it's something I have to live with, the car's gone. My car doesn't do it, Not a trace of it. It's bone stock with run flats. I have the service records from day one and not one mention of vibrations. I'm just sayin'.....
Old 04-14-15, 07:53 AM
ned1
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Vibration while braking

If while breaking check & replace worn shock(s)
Old 04-14-15, 11:18 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Front rotors if it begins with light application to the brakes but disappears with heavy braking.
Old 04-14-15, 01:18 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rudyH
If this link was for me, apologies if it wasn't, I've read a lot of those. I have no idea why certain cars do this but the answer "they all do that" is absolutely silly. Really. Lots of theories from "Lexus screwed up the suspension design" to weird mysterious frequencies because of some weight, length, speed combo of this car. Now I believes tearing wheels vibrate and some have not solved the issue, but refuse to believe it's endemic to the car design. If someone with skin in the game, a suspension designer or someone at a high level of racing tells me it's something I have to live with, the car's gone. My car doesn't do it, Not a trace of it. It's bone stock with run flats. I have the service records from day one and not one mention of vibrations. I'm just sayin'.....
I feel like its just a gremlin in the car... but it all depends on the variables. This could include break in period for new brakes or rotors or even personal driving style. I understand where you're coming from but I feel like as its a common problem across so many models that its a gremlin (similar to repeat dead batteries due to phantom parasitic drain) that many just learn to live with as it doesn't ruin the driving experience. I've never thought about selling my car b/c of some minor steering wheel shake at 55 mph. Seems petty. Not worth it to me trace it down since lots of owners that have no mods to their cars have the same symptoms.
Old 04-14-15, 05:54 PM
doodles714
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Have your ball joints checked.
Old 04-14-15, 07:41 PM
rudyH
Pole Position

I feel like its just a gremlin in the car... but it all depends on the variables. This could include break in period for new brakes or rotors or even personal driving style. I understand where you're coming from but I feel like as its a common problem across so many models that its a gremlin (similar to repeat dead batteries due to phantom parasitic drain) that many just learn to live with as it doesn't ruin the driving experience. I've never thought about selling my car b/c of some minor steering wheel shake at 55 mph. Seems petty. Not worth it to me trace it down since lots of owners that have no mods to their cars have the same symptoms.
I was pretty cranky this morning so sorry if i came off too dogmatic. of course if people are living to live with it, more power to them. I should limit my opinions to two things. I wouldn't put up with it and with enough skill, the problem can be fixed. of course, the OP I believe has a vibration under braking so I apologize to have appeared to be hijacking the thread. I think someone threw out the old "they all do that" and it set me off a bit. Anyway, all the suggestions are valid, but it is most likely rotors. I only suggested checking the lug nuts because it's easy, free, and might save you from one of your wheels passing you as you drive down the street.