SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Comparison of my '02 sc to new loaner car at dealer

Old 04-10-15, 06:22 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Comparison of my '02 sc to new loaner car at dealer

I always enjoy driving loaner cars when I take my sc to the dealer in order to compare.

I took my car in for the recall and they gave me a new es as a loaner.

First impression was that the car styling was very nice and the interior quality was outstanding. The new technology was also nice.

All good things about the car ended once I started the car. Steering was overly light. There was noticeable drive by wire lag. Although the cabin was quiet, the ride quality was surprisingly poor and harsh. The car also felt quite wobbly and lots of body roll. Even in sport mode the car was dissappointing, albeit I have not tested upper end power.the car just felt cheap.

Note I actually do like early ES models, and a few years ago I drove an '07 ES and it was really fast and smooth.

I don't know what Lexus did with the new ES, but it's no good IMO. I really appreciate my sc much more now, and especially the increased power and handling with mods!!
Old 04-10-15, 01:16 PM
taisho
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexBrett
I always enjoy driving loaner cars when I take my sc to the dealer in order to compare.

I took my car in for the recall and they gave me a new es as a loaner.

First impression was that the car styling was very nice and the interior quality was outstanding. The new technology was also nice.

All good things about the car ended once I started the car. Steering was overly light. There was noticeable drive by wire lag. Although the cabin was quiet, the ride quality was surprisingly poor and harsh. The car also felt quite wobbly and lots of body roll. Even in sport mode the car was dissappointing, albeit I have not tested upper end power.the car just felt cheap.

Note I actually do like early ES models, and a few years ago I drove an '07 ES and it was really fast and smooth.

I don't know what Lexus did with the new ES, but it's no good IMO. I really appreciate my sc much more now, and especially the increased power and handling with mods!!
Ah, I too went to the dealership to get my airbag replaced. They also gave me an ES300h and it was pretty nice on the inside. I really miss my sportshift from my '99 Prelude, so I liked that feature a lot. It kind of felt like my dad's '08 LS460, but cheaper. I do like the nav system, hd radio, blind spot indicators, heating/cooling seats, cupholders and the overall interior. I also liked how the seat would move back once you turn the car off so it would make exiting easier. I feel that the driving was definitely a lot smoother than the SC, though.

Overall, when I got my SC back, I truly missed the performance.
Old 04-10-15, 09:09 PM
Black31385
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by taisho
Ah, I too went to the dealership to get my airbag replaced. They also gave me an ES300h and it was pretty nice on the inside. I really miss my sportshift from my '99 Prelude, so I liked that feature a lot. It kind of felt like my dad's '08 LS460, but cheaper. I do like the nav system, hd radio, blind spot indicators, heating/cooling seats, cupholders and the overall interior. I also liked how the seat would move back once you turn the car off so it would make exiting easier. I feel that the driving was definitely a lot smoother than the SC, though.

Overall, when I got my SC back, I truly missed the performance.
Exactly how I felt when I went in for the recall. The only thing about our SC's is that it's getting outdated but still better than the new cars
Old 04-11-15, 11:45 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

What recall work you done?
Old 04-12-15, 08:28 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Had the airbag recall work done. It was funny because the technicians called me while they were working on it because apparently when the opened the hood there was so much aftermarket customization that they didn't know what they were looking at :-)

They were pretty nice though, gave me a free tank of gas, but forgot to put in car wash..
Old 04-12-15, 03:36 PM
Black31385
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

When I was getting this done and they returned my vehicle I noticed that my seats had creases(wrinkle marks) I did not notice this till about a couple days later. Maybe it was from kneeling or sitting only on the edge of the seat. Did they did this to you as wel? I know that it will have some marks but I just bought this vehicle not to long ago and my passenger seats were pretty much in perfect condition. I am not sure if I am just **** or not.
Old 04-12-15, 04:26 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Black31385
When I was getting this done and they returned my vehicle I noticed that my seats had creases(wrinkle marks) I did not notice this till about a couple days later. Maybe it was from kneeling or sitting only on the edge of the seat. Did they did this to you as wel? I know that it will have some marks but I just bought this vehicle not to long ago and my passenger seats were pretty much in perfect condition. I am not sure if I am just **** or not.
...if you know your seats were not in that condition,then I would bring it to the dealerships attention.They may recondition the seats, as they do before selling vehicles, but they may put up a fight also. It definitely won't hurt to have them looked into it