SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Windshield Reflection

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-15, 08:17 AM
rudyH
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I could only find one review of this product on the web. i have no idea if it's an honest or accurate review. Just posting for info sake.
http://www.target.com/p/armor-all-na...streviews-link
Old 04-08-15, 08:28 AM
Rentzer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. Glad for the review/warning. Although it provided me with the place to buy the product (Target) I am definitely not going to mess with it. Since I already decided against the Kylon dulling spray and now am not going to get involved with the Armorall wipes, I will stick with my decision to wait for the dash mat I ordered.
If the mat eliminates the glare from the dash hump I will let everyone know.

Bob
Old 04-27-15, 04:54 PM
Rentzer
Rookie

Default Dash Mat

Hello to all who were following this string.
My dash mat came a few days ago and I promised this follow up so here it is:

The instructions said to lay it flat overnight (since it came rolled up in a long box).
Instead I laid it flat on the dash just to see how it did on eliminating the glare.
It worked 100% (but, naturally, kept sliding off if I started up too fast at any stop I had made.
It had three Velcro strips with it, and these were placed under the mat by their Velcro sides.
(Intended to be re moved and used by cutting one inch sections and pasting those to the dash.)
The plastic over the sticky side probably caused the mat to slide off even more easily while I had simply laid the mat on the dash.
After deciding to use the Velcro to stick it down, I cut one inch tabs from the strips.
It was a bit of a job sticking down the little Velcro tabs where the dash meets the windshield.
That is because the mat was cut to avoid blocking the vents at the windshield.
That made the forward edge of the mat "floppy." I put the tabs in by sticking a small edge to my fingernail, sliding my finger between the dash and windshield and using a thin steel ruler to press the Velcro tabs down, then removing my finger and pressing down the little that had been on my finger nail. Once that was done I positioned the mat and used the steel ruler to push the floppy forward edge of the mat forward between the windshield and dash, pressing it down at each Velcro tab.
Once the forward edge was secure I lifted the mat in a few places and put Velcro on those places then pressed the mat down where the Velcro was. That allowed the Velcro tab to stick to the dash.

I have no idea if the sticky side of the Velcro will mar or discolor the dash, but since the sun does not hit the dash now, I doubt the dash will show the Velcro marks when and if I ever remove the mat. But I don't plan to ever remove the mat because it solved the glare problem 100%.

Bob
Old 04-27-15, 06:16 PM
rudyH
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's very cool. Glad it worked out so well. Better than my whacky idea. I'll keep this in mind if the glare gets to be too much for me. I have adhesive paranoia beyond reason though so I don't know. Well done.

Originally Posted by Rentzer
Hello to all who were following this string.
My dash mat came a few days ago and I promised this follow up so here it is:

The instructions said to lay it flat overnight (since it came rolled up in a long box).
Instead I laid it flat on the dash just to see how it did on eliminating the glare.
It worked 100% (but, naturally, kept sliding off if I started up too fast at any stop I had made.
It had three Velcro strips with it, and these were placed under the mat by their Velcro sides.
(Intended to be re moved and used by cutting one inch sections and pasting those to the dash.)
The plastic over the sticky side probably caused the mat to slide off even more easily while I had simply laid the mat on the dash.
After deciding to use the Velcro to stick it down, I cut one inch tabs from the strips.
It was a bit of a job sticking down the little Velcro tabs where the dash meets the windshield.
That is because the mat was cut to avoid blocking the vents at the windshield.
That made the forward edge of the mat "floppy." I put the tabs in by sticking a small edge to my fingernail, sliding my finger between the dash and windshield and using a thin steel ruler to press the Velcro tabs down, then removing my finger and pressing down the little that had been on my finger nail. Once that was done I positioned the mat and used the steel ruler to push the floppy forward edge of the mat forward between the windshield and dash, pressing it down at each Velcro tab.
Once the forward edge was secure I lifted the mat in a few places and put Velcro on those places then pressed the mat down where the Velcro was. That allowed the Velcro tab to stick to the dash.

I have no idea if the sticky side of the Velcro will mar or discolor the dash, but since the sun does not hit the dash now, I doubt the dash will show the Velcro marks when and if I ever remove the mat. But I don't plan to ever remove the mat because it solved the glare problem 100%.

Bob
Old 04-27-15, 07:51 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Bob, do you have any pictures of the results?
Old 04-28-15, 04:29 AM
NAmVet68
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad it worked out for you. You shouldn't worry about the adhesive on the Velcro marring the dash - it's formulated to come off clean. Just before we traded in my wife's TL (which we put the dash cover on), I lifted a couple of the tabs out of curiosity - no problems at all...with a quick alcohol wipe, you couldn't tell there had ever been anything stuck to the dash (after over three years in the Florida sun!)..

I agree; pictures would be nice....BTW...If your goal is to eliminate the glare from the dash - be sure to get one of the darker colors....the lighter colored mats are not as effective for that purpose.
Old 05-04-15, 06:24 AM
Rentzer
Rookie

Default Photos

Didn't think of doing that.
Maybe will take a couple over the weekend.
Bob
Old 05-13-15, 10:05 PM
Raydodger
Driver School Candidate

I have the same problem. Bought a pair of Maui Jim sunglasses. Reflection gone.
Old 05-18-15, 06:25 AM
Rentzer
Rookie

Originally Posted by Raydodger
I have the same problem. Bought a pair of Maui Jim sunglasses. Reflection gone.
Did you mistake this forum for comedy central?
People who post here are generally interested in solutions to problems not stupid attempts at humor.
I suggest you find a forum that properly feeds your ego or one that can address your personal problem.
Old 05-18-15, 10:54 AM
Raydodger
Driver School Candidate

Default Just Clarifying

Bob,
Sorry you took it like that. I read all your posts and you seem like a sharp guy. Here's the deal - I don't like altering my cars - don't like dashmats and sure don't like rubbing cornstarch or spraying stuff on the dash. And the reflection was the worst of anything I own. So I prefer just leaving polarized glasses in the car. Sounds like your solution worked for you. Glad to hear it.

QUOTE=Rentzer;9043483]Did you mistake this forum for comedy central?
People who post here are generally interested in solutions to problems not stupid attempts at humor.
I suggest you find a forum that properly feeds your ego or one that can address your personal problem.[/QUOTE]
Old 05-18-15, 01:20 PM
Rentzer
Rookie

Glad to hear back and glad for the way you responded.
I wear glasses to drive and I don't like the ones that darken, so sun glasses for me means either a second pair or clip-ons. As my glasses are "frameless" clip-ons are not vey good. As for a second pair, I generally use those at poolside at home and often forget to put them in my car. The mat worked great and looks good too!
Old 05-21-15, 05:08 AM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Rentzer
I have battled this "problem" for years and having just joined this forum a short while ago I realized that someone might have a solution for me so here goes.
I get a terrible reflection of the "hump" in my dashboard when driving east in the mornings or west in the evenings. The reflection is exactly in the middle of my line of sight. For a while I took a dull black cloth and draped it over the hump but doing that was an annoyance. I tried to dull down the dash with alcohol but that did not help. I can't recall if it was always like that or if at one time it may have had something put on it at a car wash (like Armorall). I only think that because I don't recall that problem bothering me years ago, but I also can't recall how long ago it began to bother me. If this is a "common" problem, or even if it isn't, I am hoping someone may have a solution for me.
Thanks in advance.
Bob
P.S. My car is a 2004 S.C. 430

An old thread that provides an easy solution to get rid of windshield reflection issues by using custom fit dash cover/pad: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-dash-pad.html
Old 05-22-15, 01:50 PM
gslangfeld
Driver School Candidate

I too bought Maui Jim sunglasses... They actually work!