SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Inductive battery charger for SC -- no more dead batteries!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-15, 01:44 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Inductive battery charger for SC -- no more dead batteries!

This is really exciting news -- inductive charging for car batteries. Perfect for the SC since this car suffers from phantom draining of the battery.

Lots of cell phones have inductive charging -- you just put the cell phone down on a special pad and the phone charges inductively, You do not have to plug it in.

Now there is a product that charges your car battery the same way. The mat plugs into a standard outlet and you put it almost anywhere in your garage, as long as it is within 15 feet of the battery. An receiver is permanently connected to the battery in the car.

When you pull into the garage, your battery automatically begins to charge. No wires to connect. I've only had it for one day (today) but it seems to work great!

Check it out at this link:
http://tinyurl.com/AutoBatteryInductiveCharging
Old 04-01-15, 02:06 PM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Aprils 1 to you sir.
Old 04-01-15, 02:11 PM
editordz
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bacardi11
Aprils 1 to you sir.
Good one!

My personal solution to the phantom drain was to rip out and replace most electronics (audio, nav)
Old 04-01-15, 04:32 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Haha, you got me! I saw this about 5 hours ago but didn't want to ruin it for everyone else! I actually have wireless (Qi) charging for my phone and my Samsung Tab. I will bet money that this will be the (near) future for all electronic device and even cars, especially for electric cars. I can also see a retrofit device for regular batteries, similar to a battery tender/trickle charger.

Update: I looked at an SUV recently (maybe LandRover or Ford; can't remember, test drove a lot) that had an OEM Qi charger. It's the future.
Update 2: Boom! https://pluglesspower.com/ & http://www.greenfleetmagazine.com/ch...-cord-grn.aspx
Update 3:http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/14/tech/i...s-electricity/ I read an article that dedicated this theory of devices and appliances that were powered wirelessly based on the original design by Nikola Tesla. I can't find it now.

Last edited by ShawnOk; 04-01-15 at 04:46 PM.
Old 04-01-15, 07:30 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Haha, you got me! I saw this about 5 hours ago but didn't want to ruin it for everyone else!.
You, my friend, are cool! Thanks.

Yeah, I agree with you about things are going to change. I feel like batteries are due for some revolutionary improvements in the future.

Habious and I hard wired a Qi charger in the upper compartment between the two seats. I get in and just drop my phone there and it begins to charge. I ran into a problem with the phone getting too hot when charging for a long time, so I created a circuit that cuts off power to the charger three hours after the SC is turned off.
Old 04-04-15, 05:56 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
You, my friend, are cool! Thanks.

Yeah, I agree with you about things are going to change. I feel like batteries are due for some revolutionary improvements in the future.

Habious and I hard wired a Qi charger in the upper compartment between the two seats. I get in and just drop my phone there and it begins to charge. I ran into a problem with the phone getting too hot when charging for a long time, so I created a circuit that cuts off power to the charger three hours after the SC is turned off.
I have a solar powered charger covered by old hair piece on the hood of the car it does two things charges my battery and scares away anyone who looks at the car. Its a win win .