SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Roadtrip- Chicago to Shreveport

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-15, 07:01 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Roadtrip- Chicago to Shreveport

So I just did a 900 miles trip from Chicago to Shreveport and it was not without with little moments of excitement. After much debate I decided to travel with my winter runflats rather than my summer wheels. You might ask why. I wanted to use my torn up TRD rims rather than my new 20" Roderick as I heard the roads are pretty harsh down in Shreveport. Plus no spare for the 20"s and at least I would have some security with runflats.
I started my trip at 6:00am from the outskirts of Chicago. Made it about 220 miles and had a blow out on the highway at 75mph. Yup, driver rear tire shrapneled into pieces and I pulled over onto the shoulder. I didn't know how large the hole was so I tried some Fix a Flat to try to cover my bases. Nope, didn't work. So I limped on the shoulder to the next exit 5 miles up. Low and behold, a Goodyear station! Luckily they had a 245/40/18 in stock. Cheap Chinese Rotalla but I had no choice. $125 with M&B. Old tire sidewall was completely shredded. Back on the road an hour later.
I noticed when I left Chicago that my Google directions and my OEM nav were about 2 hours in difference. So I was usually sticking to the Google Nav but of course there were roads that didn't show on the OEM unit so it would appear as if I was travelling in the middle of a field. Haha. But nothing I wasnt used to. Unfortunately, a major roadway was blocked and then closed (57South), and brought traffic to a total standstill. They actually rerouted traffic through a few tiny towns that looked like something from Deliverance. I still can't find out why they closed 57South, but I do think it might be to drum up some business in those little towns (food, gas, souvenir shopping, etc).
Anyway, an hour and half and max speeds of 25mph, back onto a major roadway.
As it was getting dark I realized a new problem. As I mentioned in a previous post, my front ride height sensor had failed and the lights were pointing too low. I tried to adjust them with a screwdriver but didn't have one that was long enough to reach so I just traveled without the repair. Huge mistake! I coun't see anything more than 15 feet ahead of me. And most of the roads were in heavily wooded areas without street lighting. I was freaking out. Watching the edges like a hawk for deer and other woodland creatures. Did have a rabbit run across the roadway but spotted it with enough time to keep safe. Whew!

All in all made it safely here, and now just settling in for about 6 weeks, then back to Chicago. I made poor time due to the highway closure (hooray for those towns that made bank on tourists). I was getting about 23.5mpg the entire way keeping the speedometer around 75mph for most of it. I only had about 2 "true" fill ups. I was able to get over 400 miles to the tank! First fill got me 410 miles, second fill got me 433 miles. I was really topping the tank to the max, though. Total trip time was 16 hours. Here's some photos. Thanks for reading!
Attached Thumbnails Roadtrip- Chicago to Shreveport-img_20150321_104318.jpg   Roadtrip- Chicago to Shreveport-img_20150321_104325.jpg   Roadtrip- Chicago to Shreveport-img_20150321_104332.jpg  

Last edited by ShawnOk; 03-22-15 at 10:40 PM.
Old 03-22-15, 07:02 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Stats photos... 433 is hard to see but it's there.
Attached Thumbnails Roadtrip- Chicago to Shreveport-img_20150321_131127.jpg   Roadtrip- Chicago to Shreveport-img_20150321_131144.jpg   Roadtrip- Chicago to Shreveport-img_20150321_211258.jpg   Roadtrip- Chicago to Shreveport-img_20150321_211228.jpg  

Last edited by ShawnOk; 03-22-15 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-22-15, 07:15 PM
rudyH
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW that's a hell of a tire! Looks like it's off a truck with that tread pattern! Glad you made it and I bet overall it was fun. Did you get to put the top down at all?

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
So I just did a 900 miles trip from Chicago to Shreveport and it was not without with little moments of excitement. After much debate I decided to travel with my winter runflats rather than my summer wheels. You might ask why. I wanted to use my torn up TRD rims rather than my new 20" Roderick as I heard the roads are pretty harsh down in Shreveport. Please no spare for the 20"s and at least I would have some security with runflats.
I started my trip at 6:00am from the outskirts of Chicago. Made it about 220 miles and had a blow out on the right. Yup, driver rear tire shrapneled into pieces and I pulled over onto the shoulder. I didn't know how large the hole was so I tried some Fix a Flat to try to cover my bases. Nope, didn't work. So I limped on the shoulder to the next exit. Low and behold, a Goodyear station! Luckily they had a 245/40/18 in stock. Cheap Chinese Rotalla but I had no choice. $125 with M&B. Old tire sidewall was completely shredded. Back on the road an hour later.
I noticed when I left Chicago that my Google directions and my OEM nav were about 2 hours in difference. So I was usually sticking to the Google Nav but of course there were roads that didn't show on the OEM unit so it would appear as if I was travelling in the middle of a field. Haha. But nothing I was used to. Unfortunately, a major roadway was blocked and then closed (57South), and total brought traffic to a standstill. They actually rerouted traffic through a few tiny towns that looked like something from Deliverance. I still can't find out why they closed 57South, but I do think it might be to drum up some business in those little towns (food, gas, souvenir shopping, etc).
As it was getting dark I realized a new problem. As I mentioned in a previous post, my front ride height sensor had failed and the lights were pointing too low. I tried to adjust hem with a screwdriver but didn't have one that was long enough to reach so I just traveled without the repair. Huge mistake! I coun't see anything more than 15 feet ahead of me. And most of the roads were in heavily wooded areas without street lighting. I was freaking out. Watching the edges like a hawk for a deer. Did have a rabbit run across the roadway but spotted with enough time to keep safe. Whew!

All in all made it safely here, and now just settling in for aout 6 weeks then back to Chicago. I made poor time due to the highway closure (hooray for those towns that made bank on tourists). I was getting about 23.5mpg the entire way keeping the speedometer around 75mph for most of it. I only had about 2 "true" fill ups. I was able to get over 400 miles to the tank! First fill got me 410 miles, second fill got me 433 miles. I was really topping the tank to the max, though. Total trip time was 16 hours. Here's some photos. Thanks for reading!
Old 03-22-15, 11:01 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

So I just did a 900 miles trip from Chicago to Shreveport and it was not without with little moments of excitement. After much debate I decided to travel with my winter runflats rather than my summer wheels. You might ask why. I wanted to use my torn up TRD rims rather than my new 20" Roderick as I heard the roads are pretty harsh down in Shreveport. Plus no spare for the 20"s and at least I would have some security with runflats.
I started my trip at 6:00am from the outskirts of Chicago. Made it about 220 miles and had a blow out on the highway at 75mph. Yup, driver rear tire shrapneled into pieces and I pulled over onto the shoulder. I didn't know how large the hole was so I tried some Fix a Flat to try to cover my bases. Nope, didn't work. So I limped on the shoulder to the next exit 5 miles up. Low and behold, a Goodyear station! Luckily they had a 245/40/18 in stock. Cheap Chinese Rotalla but I had no choice. $125 with M&B. Old tire sidewall was completely shredded. Back on the road an hour later.
I noticed when I left Chicago that my Google directions and my OEM nav were about 2 hours in difference. So I was usually sticking to the Google Nav but of course there were roads that didn't show on the OEM unit so it would appear as if I was travelling in the middle of a field. Haha. But nothing I wasnt used to. Unfortunately, a major roadway was blocked and then closed (57South), and brought traffic to a total standstill. They actually rerouted traffic through a few tiny towns that looked like something from Deliverance. I still can't find out why they closed 57South, but I do think it might be to drum up some business in those little towns (food, gas, souvenir shopping, etc).
As it was getting dark I realized a new problem. As I mentioned in a previous post, my front ride height sensor had failed and the lights were pointing too low. I tried to adjust them with a screwdriver but didn't have one that was long enough to reach so I just traveled without the repair. Huge mistake! I coun't see anything more than 15 feet ahead of me. And most of the roads were in heavily wooded areas without street lighting. I was freaking out. Watching the edges like a hawk for deer and other woodland creatures. Did have a rabbit run across the roadway but spotted it with enough time to keep safe. Whew!

All in all made it safely here, and now just settling in for about 6 weeks, then back to Chicago. I made poor time due to the highway closure (hooray for those towns that made bank on tourists). I was getting about 23.5mpg the entire way keeping the speedometer around 75mph for most of it. I only had about 2 "true" fill ups. I was able to get over 400 miles to the tank! First fill got me 410 miles, second fill got me 433 miles. I was really topping the tank to the max, though. Total trip time was 16 hours. Here's some photos. Thanks for reading!
...hey Shawn I usually visit the Shreveport area about every other month, I was just there this past weekend (03/20-03/22).Next time I come that way, I'll pm you, maybe we can meet
Old 03-23-15, 07:06 AM
kuWuPt
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 44 Posts

Sorry to hear man... glad you got there safe!
Old 03-23-15, 07:14 AM
chillsc
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad that you dealt with the blowout and arrived safely.
BTW, you picked a good time to get out of Chicago. 4" of snow and still coming down!
Old 03-23-15, 02:45 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Glad you made it safely Shawn.
Old 03-23-15, 10:35 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Thanks all! I truly feel the love! I did make it safely, and The Lex is running well. Going to try to make it into Lexus to get the headlight situation worked out. As for the trip, I was not able to drop the top as my trunk was packed pretty full. Too bad though, weather was nice. Unlike Chicago. Haha. I heard there was some major snow overnight. And not that fluffy powder stuff either. I heard it was pretty heavy and naturally the city took their time to remove most of it. Today, Shreveport was about 70 degrees, sunny, and muggy. Guess I 'm just going to have to "suffer" through the Louisiana weather... pool side while I do my reading for Boards. Whomp Whomp.

TexSexLex, let me know when you're coming into town again and we can grab some eats!

Last edited by ShawnOk; 03-24-15 at 12:46 AM.
Old 03-23-15, 11:53 PM
Badhobz
Instructor

Received 559 Likes on 303 Posts

Gotta love the Grand touring aspect of our cars. Truly remarkable engineering. Glad you made it safely.
Old 03-24-15, 04:06 AM
rudyH
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

~~~~As for the trip, I was not able to drop the top as my trunk was packed pretty full. Too bad though, weather was nice.~~~~~
I wonder how the SC would look with a trunk mounted luggage rack like we used to have on British Roadsters? Surprisingly, I'm not kidding. Probably a bad idea
Old 03-25-15, 08:45 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Thanks all! I truly feel the love! I did make it safely, and The Lex is running well. Going to try to make it into Lexus to get the headlight situation worked out. As for the trip, I was not able to drop the top as my trunk was packed pretty full. Too bad though, weather was nice. Unlike Chicago. Haha. I heard there was some major snow overnight. And not that fluffy powder stuff either. I heard it was pretty heavy and naturally the city took their time to remove most of it. Today, Shreveport was about 70 degrees, sunny, and muggy. Guess I 'm just going to have to "suffer" through the Louisiana weather... pool side while I do my reading for Boards. Whomp Whomp.

TexSexLex, let me know when you're coming into town again and we can grab some eats!
...will do sir !!!