SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

New Tires and Wheels and SC430

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-15, 07:24 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
I have a tire pressure warning light on my dash because I did not tell the guys at discount tire to make sure they put the sensors back in the exact same location.

They initially told me they had the handheld device that would reprogram the sensors. When they tried to do it, I was told their device did not have the software for my '02.

How do all of you handle the sensor issue when you go for a rotation or new tires?
I already know that disabling the TPMS is an option...
You don't have to do that. You can put the sensors anywhere on our cars. I rotate my tires all the time and pay no attention to the location of the sensors. I would look elsewhere for the reason the TPM light is on.
Old 03-26-15, 07:37 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by iolmaster
You don't have to do that. You can put the sensors anywhere on our cars. I rotate my tires all the time and pay no attention to the location of the sensors. I would look elsewhere for the reason the TPM light is on.
What you do you have?
I believe 2006 and later had a more user friendly system installed.

Last edited by Bgw70; 03-26-15 at 07:42 AM.
Old 03-26-15, 08:21 AM
iolmaster
Racer

What you do you have?
I have an 06, but I don't think that matters. Someone with an earlier model should be able to confirm this.
Old 03-26-15, 09:54 AM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

What you do you have?
I have an 06, but I don't think that matters. Someone with an earlier model should be able to confirm this.
I think the sensors were changed to the more modern design in 2007 and therefore the 02-06 models have the same sensors. Ultimately, this difference should be of no consequence since simply rotating the tires should not require a re-program. I agree, could someone with an earlier model SC430 confirm the fact that a simple rotation has no effect on the sensors?

Oh, and by the way, those Tourmaline wheels look fantastic on the blue SC!
Old 03-26-15, 10:22 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by StillLine
I think the sensors were changed to the more modern design in 2007 and therefore the 02-06 models have the same sensors. Ultimately, this difference should be of no consequence since simply rotating the tires should not require a re-program. I agree, could someone with an earlier model SC430 confirm the fact that a simple rotation has no effect on the sensors?

Oh, and by the way, those Tourmaline wheels look fantastic on the blue SC!
Why thank you for the complement!!! I need to update my signature picture with the new wheels!

My old TPMS sensors were working fine until they installed them in the new wheels. Now I have a light. My car is an '02. The shop manual states that the sensor ID must be loaded into the ECU and told what location. I will reread that section to make sure I did not misinterprete what it was telling me.

Last edited by Bgw70; 01-14-16 at 03:14 PM.
Old 03-26-15, 02:51 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

I have an '02 and have rotated the tires multiple times at non-dealer shops. As far as I am aware, they did nothing to the TPM system to accommodate those rotations. The system should only care whether it is getting a signal, not which spot it is coming from, it should not be able to tell the difference.

Something else to look for is the button in your glove box that accommodates a 2nd set of tires. Make sure that it has not been set to the other set.
Old 03-26-15, 03:25 PM
iolmaster
Racer

First, check the switch in the glove box. Also, unless the previous owner bought new sensors, your sensors are getting very old. If you got 13 years out of the batteries in these things you are doing great. It may be a coincidence that the light came on after the installation in the new wheels.
Old 03-26-15, 03:51 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Okay, so I went back to discount tire and they showed me their tech400 handheld that does not support the 2002-2006 and their procedures say that i can purchase new sensors from them but I must go to the dealer to have the sensor IDs loaded into the ECU.
With that said, he printed out the instructions and further down on the sheet, it gave me instructions to reset the light.
I decided to look in my manual and the procedure was slightly different. I used the reset procedure in the service manual and the TPMS light is now out. I had two faults, one was a low battery code and the other was a malfunctioning sensor. After the reset, the light is out.
If the light stays out I am going to attribute the problem to the sensors being moved away from the car for mounting and balance.
The sensor range could have caused the fault.

Here is the Lexus procedure to reset the light:
1. Turn the ignition switch ON.
2. Connect a wire between the DLC3 (OBD II) connector pins 13(Tc) and 4(CG).
3. Within 15 sec after connecting terminal pins 13 and 4, open the glovebox door, find the "main" and "2nd" switch on the right side lower area of the glovebox and cycle this switch four times.
4. The TPMS will change its lighting pattern, I saw a rapid flashing.
5. Remove the wire and the light should be out!

And the light is now out!!!

Last edited by Bgw70; 03-26-15 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-26-15, 05:01 PM
iolmaster
Racer

I don't think sensor IDs need to be loaded. There are 4 different colors for the sensors. As long as these 4 sensors are sending signals to the receiver there is no programming to do. I am on my fourth set of tires and I rotate them myself and I have never had to do any thing at all to make them work. I also had tourmaline wheels installed about 3 years ago and did not have any issues at all. This was done at a mom and pop shop and I know they did not have to reprogram anything.
Old 03-26-15, 10:20 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

I have an 02' & before I changed the wheels, I rotated them about every 6 months without any issues or warning lights. Do you think it's possible that Discount may have damaged one of them ?
Old 03-27-15, 04:15 AM
rudyH
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by texsexlex
I have an 02' & before I changed the wheels, I rotated them about every 6 months without any issues or warning lights. Do you think it's possible that Discount may have damaged one of them ?
Yep. It happens.
Old 03-27-15, 04:16 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Okay, so I went back to discount tire and they showed me their tech400 handheld that does not support the 2002-2006 and their procedures say that i can purchase new sensors from them but I must go to the dealer to have the sensor IDs loaded into the ECU.
With that said, he printed out the instructions and further down on the sheet, it gave me instructions to reset the light.
I decided to look in my manual and the procedure was slightly different. I used the reset procedure in the service manual and the TPMS light is now out. I had two faults, one was a low battery code and the other was a malfunctioning sensor. After the reset, the light is out.
If the light stays out I am going to attribute the problem to the sensors being moved away from the car for mounting and balance.
The sensor range could have caused the fault.

Here is the Lexus procedure to reset the light:
1. Turn the ignition switch ON.
2. Connect a wire between the DLC3 (OBD II) connector pins 13(Tc) and 4(CG).
3. Within 15 sec after connecting terminal pins 13 and 4, open the glovebox door, find the "main" and "2nd" switch on the right side lower area of the glovebox and cycle this switch four times.
4. The TPMS will change its lighting pattern, I saw a rapid flashing.
5. Remove the wire and the light should be out!

And the light is now out!!!
The TPMS light is out!!!
My SC430 service manual told me how to reset the light.
Old 03-27-15, 10:44 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

That's good to know Bgw. Do you know if that is a reset or disable function?
Old 03-27-15, 05:12 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Harold57
That's good to know Bgw. Do you know if that is a reset or disable function?
The manual specifically stated it was a reset function. It said nothing about a disable function.
Old 03-30-15, 06:44 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

With the timing belt job behind us, it was time to spend the money I saved labor from that job! LoL
These wheels needed some tires on them and the old wheels needed to go on Craigslist!

The tire brand and model was my next choice! We had the Yokohama yk-580 or the Michelin super sport. The guy at discount tire told me the Michelin pilot sport a/s3 is replacing the SS. He also sold to me at about the same price as the SS tires. The pilot sport also had a tread life of 45k vs 30k.

Great choice, looks fantastic!

Quick Reply: New Tires and Wheels and SC430