SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Timing Belt Replacement on BWs SC430

Old 03-20-15, 12:03 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 853 Likes on 686 Posts

I am wondering if anyone else noticed the mark was off just a little to the right or clockwise position. The left side was perfect and the main was perfect.<br/>The red mark is from the factory, the black mark is mine.

The previous pictures of the timing belt were of me just messing around with the belt fit. The belt left marking goes on the left drivers side. And right goes on the right passenger side.

Old 03-20-15, 12:15 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Make sure all of the many connectors are reconnected.

This is our homemade SST in action and it worked perfectly, at a cost of $27.

I only have the before picture of the throttle body, it is nice and clean now but I forgot to take a picture.<br/>I also cleaned the mass airflow sensor.<br/>I used CRC mass airflow cleaner and CRC throttle body cleaner! You can find it a wal-mart.

This is a view looking up at the AC compressor. Three bolts and a nut.<br/>Just loosen the nut but do not remove, loosen a three bolts but only two need to come out, the third will stay in the slot. I used zip ties to hang the engine accessories out of the way.

We were nearing completion at this point. Next was the radiator and air intake components.
Old 03-20-15, 12:20 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

The engine was refilled with water and antifreeze. The engine was a little hard to start because I sprayed the throttle body with it on the car. This made the car smoke a little when I fired her up and it threw some codes. No big deal, I just hooked up the code checker and erased them. I let it warm up, checked for any issues and took her for a test drive.<br/>Nice throttle response and she ran Great!
Old 03-20-15, 12:22 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Helogadget
BGW, I just looked again at your pics, and maybe I am confused but it looks like your new belt is reversed. Shouldn't the L be on the right and the R be on the left?
You are correct and I turned it around.
Old 03-20-15, 12:28 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by taisho
I know every shop is different, but what would a rough estimate be to get my belts replaced along with my water pump? I bought my used 2003 SC430 used with about 50k on it at the time and it now has 77k miles. I'm not sure if the previous owner did any kind of that maintenance.
I am not a shop just an old Motörhead who still turns wrenches for fun. My day job includes, clean hands, a computer, business casual (florida job) and air conditioning.

As for a quote, I would guess $800-$1200 for everything I just did.

I have done about seven timing belts in my life now and this car has more bolts, covers and connectors than any of my past jobs!

I sure wish they used a chain or gears instead of a belt!
Old 03-20-15, 12:34 PM
jzwu
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice job!

Just curious that when you do the timing belt disassembling the engine, would it be very easy to swap in the spark plugs? Otherwise, you have to take out the battery to do it later in very tight spaces.
Old 03-20-15, 12:51 PM
Helogadget
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
You are correct and I turned it around.
Good deal! Great pics! Thanks so much for the write up. It might just give me the courage to do mine next time it comes due.
Old 03-20-15, 02:17 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

Great job and write up Bgw.
Old 03-21-15, 03:07 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Helogadget
BGW, I just looked again at your pics, and maybe I am confused but it looks like your new belt is reversed. Shouldn't the L be on the right and the R be on the left?
Yes, you are correct! ;-). I was messing around to see how the marks would fit If I faced the wording as if I were reading it and it was to my left and right.
Old 03-21-15, 03:18 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by taisho
I know every shop is different, but what would a rough estimate be to get my belts replaced along with my water pump? I bought my used 2003 SC430 used with about 50k on it at the time and it now has 77k miles. I'm not sure if the previous owner did any kind of that maintenance.
I will have to guess at a price because my day job involves IT networking, ;-)
To have all of this done at an independent shop would be around $800-$1200 US. If a Lexus dealer does it, much more.

Now that is total speculation and I was including the parts. When you have it done be sure to include all of the parts.
Belt
Water pump
Tensioner
Tensioner pulley
Idler pully

Since you are there, also include

Upper radiator hose
Lower radiator hose
Serpentine belt

I added these because they are removed in the process.
Old 03-21-15, 03:29 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mademedoit
You car looks a little cleaner than mine, you didn't have to remove the spark plugs to turn the crank?

And I meant that is really cool you were able to make the tool and save yourself $60.
Trust me, the car had more dirt on it when I made the purchase! Foamy Engine degreaser cleaned it up! It was leaking oil from the valve covers and oil was everywhere! I gave most of the valve cover bolts a turn or two and that helped the oil leaks. I checked them all again and tightened them a little more! They have 10ft/lbs of torque on them now. Hopefully, all of the leaks will stop!

I thought that is what you meant about the tool we made but I must admit, it looks like a redneck Harry Hipnut production!!! LoL
Old 03-22-15, 12:06 AM
kuWuPt
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 44 Posts

Congrat's man!! DIY FTW!
Old 08-17-15, 07:59 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Need to do mine, this is a great resource. Did you not replace your thermostat?
Old 08-17-15, 08:32 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70

The engine was refilled with water and antifreeze. The engine was a little hard to start because I sprayed the throttle body with it on the car. This made the car smoke a little when I fired her up and it threw some codes. No big deal, I just hooked up the code checker and erased them. I let it warm up, checked for any issues and took her for a test drive.<br/>Nice throttle response and she ran Great!
Hey Buddy, this is a really useful write up. THanks!
Old 08-17-15, 09:21 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Need to do mine, this is a great resource. Did you not replace your thermostat?
Yes, I also replaced the upper and lower hoses and the drive belts. I pretty much replaced anything I took off.
New idler pulley, tensioner pulley and tensioner...water pump, thermostat...
It might have been a little overkill but new parts should keep the car running smooth.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Timing Belt Replacement on BWs SC430