anyone using Android tablet?
Search finds a couple of examples of folks considering it
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...av-screen.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...placement.html
Old 04-21-15, 10:33 PM
tnoble
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UPDATE: I received the navigation update disc from lpartsworld.com around 4/10/15. I popped it in and it worked like a charm. The navigation system ran its update and has been acting properly since. Thanks for all the help and info!

Also, in case anyone is considering doing the same, I went ahead and modernized the tech with a Pioneer AVH-3700 head unit paired with a Beat-sonic kit and an inexpensive Taotronics license plate mounted backup camera. It looks beautiful and works perfectly, would totally recommend.
Old 05-21-15, 11:28 AM
mikefromnc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 navigation update

Took my car in to Lexus dealership today for the Takata air bag recall.
While sitting around waiting, I decided to ask the price to upgrade the Nav disc, expecting them to say something in the 3 or 4 hundreds.
Surprise! $169 plus tax--total $181.25.
I bought their last one according to 1 of the service reps and a tech installed it-no additional charge. I now have a new toy!
Mike
Old 05-21-15, 11:34 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I use an Android but not with my car.
Old 10-24-15, 11:03 AM
Mazor1
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a question about the "update" for the Navigation system, please. My just purchased 04 seems to have a problem with the navigation that I am not sure an update would fix. I have checked all the settings, selected the correct region for where I am located, but still the system refuses to allow me to input street addresses that I know are correct and have been around long before 2004 when the car was built. The few options I get are just not anywhere close to what I have been searching for.

So, before I spend and waste $180 for the latest upgrade, is this some other problem with the Navigation system itself that needs to be fixed, or is the reason that I just can't find any known address nearby here to
me in Georgia simply a problem with an old disk that has been in place for 10+ years.

Lastly, I thought I read when reading all the "help notes" on the Forum that the CD player for the Nav is located under the Passenger side front seat. I have looked now from both the front and back and unless I am blind
there is simply nothing there. I do see something (a small door) in the trunk that is marked "voice navigation
system", but have no idea what this item is, or does.

Please help suggest things I can try to get my Nav working. I don't mind at all buying the latest update, but
just want to make sure this expense will give me a fully working, and updated Nav system. Thanks so much
guys and gals.
Old 10-24-15, 11:18 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 912 Likes on 732 Posts

You located the navigation unit in the trunk, remove the voice nav panel...a new DVD should allow the unit to find your addresses.

I will tell you, these nav units are just way too old and even with an updated disk, they still do not function as well as the Waze app you can use on your phone.
I updated my nav unit with one from a 2005 SC430 and a new maps DVD but the system is only there for show...well I can play movies on the nav screen, but that is a different story.

It's your money and your choice.

Last edited by Bgw70; 10-24-15 at 11:25 AM.
Old 10-24-15, 11:30 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Originally Posted by Mazor1
I have a question about the "update" for the Navigation system, please. My just purchased 04 seems to have a problem with the navigation that I am not sure an update would fix. I have checked all the settings, selected the correct region for where I am located, but still the system refuses to allow me to input street addresses that I know are correct and have been around long before 2004 when the car was built. The few options I get are just not anywhere close to what I have been searching for.

So, before I spend and waste $180 for the latest upgrade, is this some other problem with the Navigation system itself that needs to be fixed, or is the reason that I just can't find any known address nearby here to
me in Georgia simply a problem with an old disk that has been in place for 10+ years.

Lastly, I thought I read when reading all the "help notes" on the Forum that the CD player for the Nav is located under the Passenger side front seat. I have looked now from both the front and back and unless I am blind
there is simply nothing there. I do see something (a small door) in the trunk that is marked "voice navigation
system", but have no idea what this item is, or does.

Please help suggest things I can try to get my Nav working. I don't mind at all buying the latest update, but
just want to make sure this expense will give me a fully working, and updated Nav system. Thanks so much
guys and gals.
I'm not as familiar with this version of the navigation, but with my 2005 LS what you describe happens when I haven't selected the search area with my current state in it. Example - when I drive to VA I have to select a different area to get the POIs and detailed addresses if I'm leaving from NC.

Yours might simply have the wrong search area selected. Know you said you selected the right region which likely is the same thing, but try picking another one outside of your area and then re-selecting yours again.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 10-24-15 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10-24-15, 12:07 PM
Mazor1
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks guys. I have been spending more time searching various threads on the subject and have just about decided to agree with you, Bgw70, that even if I get the update the system itself doesn't seem to be that high quality to begin with. We use our Nav system on our Nissan Rogue very often and it seems like the options that you have to put in addresses and such is much, much easier and faster and user friendly.

DaveGS4, I did find the screen that you posted, changed the location from area 9 to 10, but then it still didn't work. So, I'll give your suggestion a try, but after simply trying to get the system to recognize my home address, which obviously would be an important "base" to have when travelling anyplace, it was so, so frustrating and I think that I am just going to decide to upgrade my entire stereo system (I know, research totally other threads),
and perhaps make this nicely placed screen to do "other" things that I would use more often.

Thanks again for your suggestions.
Old 10-24-15, 12:50 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 912 Likes on 732 Posts

If you replace, check out the AVH-5700, by pioneer, also the beat sonic interface...plenty of threads on this subject and I really like mine...