SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

2003 SC430 GPS Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-15, 11:20 PM
Rusty2003
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 SC430 GPS Issues

I bought my SC430 last Saturday on eBay. Paid 10k for it. Took it to the Lexus dealer and dropped 3k into it for new engine and transmission mounts, 2 new rear run flats, and opted for a new timing belt and water pump since it had not been replaced since new and has 179,000 miles on it.

I noticed the navigation system was on v2.1 and seemed to be the original. I asked to buy a new DVD and the dealer said I had to buy a really old version off eBay to upgrade the nav systems BIOS before I could upgrade to the last version (sometime around 2010) that my system could handle.

I live in Las Vegas, NV. Does anyone have that BIOS upgrade I could "borrow" to flash my BIOS so I can get a newer disk to work? I would be willing to drive a few 100 miles to your place and offer some compensation. If that's not a good option, does anyone know what's an easy way to upgrade the nav system's guts so it will take current disks? I hate the clutter of my suction cup solution.

Has anyone else done this and have any advice to offer?

Also, my ML front speakers are blown, so I ordered the repair kit mentioned in another thread (thanks to the forums! Already saved me a few hundred dollars right there).

Regards to everyone, and thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 03-15-15, 04:41 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

That is odd because I thought any newer Navi DVD would update your system to the latest firmware version.

The disk in my car is the original.

Can anyone confirm this?
Old 03-15-15, 04:51 AM
rudyH
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I need to update my Nav and found this. Doesn't say anything about intermediate steps but in any case you'd have to buy the latest disc right? So I'd buy it and try to upgrade. Worst case is, you'd have to find the intermediate disc and they seem to be all over eBay as well as other places. A Google search would help.

http://www.lexusnavigation.com/what-to-order/
Old 03-15-15, 05:16 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

take the old disk out install new one. get the disk from the dealer not ebay. to many copies.

Last edited by bacardi11; 03-15-15 at 05:24 AM.
Old 03-15-15, 05:45 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bacardi11
take the old disk out install new one. get the disk from the dealer not ebay. to many copies.
I too am wondering why a dealer would tell the OP to load an older version first!

I am curious, would someone look at their newer DVD on a computer and tell me what file(s) are associated with the firmware update. That is if you can tell.
Old 03-15-15, 06:37 AM
Rusty2003
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Extra info: The dealer said that since my nav system was over 10 years old the first BIOS upgrade I needed wasn't sold by Lexus anymore. That's why I needed to go to eBay or a similar place to get it. One would think someone at the dealership would keep such a critical update in a desk or something. Especially since it's a "reusable" way to upgrade a system in older vehicles. I'm feeling let down by Lexus at the moment for not letting me throw money at them to "fix" my car.

Aside: My 2003 was on the free air bag recall list, so if you have not checked to see if you are, enter your VIN on the Lexus website to see if you need any safety recall fixes.
Old 03-15-15, 06:39 AM
NAmVet68
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Gen 2&3 Nav systems are marked "2 and 3" or just "23", and are for the 2001-2004 SC430s ... the 2005-2010 SC take the Gen 4 disks.

The map disks are available for all of them (current one is 14.1), and there are many available online (even through Amazon) at various prices, depending on how old the maps are...older versions are generally cheaper. As far as I know, the firmware update should be on the disk itself, as long as you stay with the correct Gen # ((2-3 in your case). Older disks are usually fine - no need to update your disks every year in most cases - even the most current disks have map data at least 12-18 months old. I have a backup Garmin that updates every few months and the data is still wrong in many cases...with the constant road construction going on all over the US, they are never absolutely right 100% of the time (but neither are paper maps!)

If you order them on-line, make sure you are buying an ORIGINAL disk - not a copy, and the seller guarantees that it is original (read their feedback!!!!).

Good luck.....
Old 03-15-15, 07:39 AM
2ksoftail
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

I solved my problem the easy(lazy)(cheap) way. I bought a almost new Garmin off Fleabay for 70 bucks w/lifetime maps. It also has live traffic and delay avoidance. Since or cars have a flipdown door, very easy to suction on and off. Not for the perfectionist, but I got other things to spend my money on. Only use it on long trips.
Old 03-15-15, 08:20 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

If you want the most inexpensive way, free, and you own a smart phone (android or Apple) download an app called "Waze"
It is a fantastic navi program and the maps are always updated, it shows live locations of those pesky police officers running radar, along with traffic jams, accidents, gas prices etc.
I have been using it for over two years now! Google purchased it from the original developer.
The police wanted to make Google remove the police location feature, but lost that battle.
Old 03-15-15, 10:31 AM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Rusty2003
Extra info: The dealer said that since my nav system was over 10 years old the first BIOS upgrade I needed wasn't sold by Lexus anymore. That's why I needed to go to eBay or a similar place to get it. One would think someone at the dealership would keep such a critical update in a desk or something. Especially since it's a "reusable" way to upgrade a system in older vehicles. I'm feeling let down by Lexus at the moment for not letting me throw money at them to "fix" my car.

Aside: My 2003 was on the free air bag recall list, so if you have not checked to see if you are, enter your VIN on the Lexus website to see if you need any safety recall fixes.
...now someone jump in if I'm telling him anything incorrectly. The gen2/3 disk can be upgraded to any year, as long as it's a gen2/3 disk.If your disk is a 2.1, thats the very first year they were available.When I purchased my Sc 7yrs ago, it had the 2.1 also. I didn't want to spent the $175-200 for the newest disk, so I purchased a 5.1 or 6.1 (gen2/3). The disk didn't have the latest upgrades,but had more streets,inf,etc...than the 2.1.I paid about $60 for it. A few years after that, I bought a 9.1(gen2/3), more upgrades than what I had. I presently have a 12.1, which I bought last year for $75.The reason the dealership gave you that info, they probably don't stock older disk. I would definitely stay away from bootleg or burn disk, they will not work properly or at all, I experienced this first hand. Also the disk are sold by regions, so since you're on the western side of the U.S., look for the disk that is for your region. It will have more info for the area you live. Some of the members with gen2/3 systems are buying the gen4 nav box,because they are plug/play & the gen4 systems offer more updates/details
Old 03-16-15, 03:23 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Rusty, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your acquisition.

I agree with the above, I don't remember the need for an upgrade disk, though earlier versions did upgrade the software. You might ask the dealer which version are capable of upgrading your software and then target those disks first.
Old 03-16-15, 11:11 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Harold57
Rusty, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your acquisition.

I agree with the above, I don't remember the need for an upgrade disk, though earlier versions did upgrade the software. You might ask the dealer which version are capable of upgrading your software and then target those disks first.
...hey Harold I think every time you move up to a newer disk,it upgrades the software automatically. This is the reason you can't replace a newer disk with an older one.It will have upgraded to the newer software, making the older ones unable to be read or work properly
Old 03-17-15, 09:51 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

I was told if you remove whichever DVD was in the drive, you could reset the DVD system with a hard ECU reset (ie. battery disconnect for 15 minutes) . Then you could reprogram the DVD player by putting in the original DVD which would reinstall to the oldest software and firmware.

PS. I am running a "burned" DVD Dual Layer disk of v10.1 that I created myself, and noticed only 1 problem... Can't use multiple POI's on the map simultaneously. Maps are correct and "Override In Motion" feature still works and therefore I've never been interested in upgrading further as I've read you lose the override feature on anything over v10.1.

Last edited by ShawnOk; 03-17-15 at 05:10 PM.
Old 03-17-15, 04:58 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by texsexlex
...hey Harold I think every time you move up to a newer disk,it upgrades the software automatically. This is the reason you can't replace a newer disk with an older one.It will have upgraded to the newer software, making the older ones unable to be read or work properly
Yes, it is true that it upgrades the software every time but there is a member on the forum who says that he moves back and forth between versions (playing musical chairs between his cars depending on which car needs the latest maps) and has had no problems doing so (going forward or backward). So I have to wonder if there is a certain early version where the upgrade prevents a downgrade.
Old 03-17-15, 05:03 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Harold57
Yes, it is true that it upgrades the software every time but there is a member on the forum who says that he moves back and forth between versions (playing musical chairs between his cars depending on which car needs the latest maps) and has had no problems doing so (going forward or backward). So I have to wonder if there is a certain early version where the upgrade prevents a downgrade.
Yes, once you upgrade the first disk with the second disk, you cannot go back to the first disk. It is a firmware upgrade and has nothing to do with maps, the database etc.

Quick Reply: 2003 SC430 GPS Issues