SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Second Vehicle

Old 03-14-15, 03:35 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Second Vehicle

I have begun to notice that a lot of SC owners have a second vehicle that isn't quite as thirsty as there SCs. Case in point my second vehicle is a Prius. The best I've gotten with that one is 54.6 mpg for one trip. The best for a tank full was like 41 mpg something. The SC I don't even bother any more. The computer for mpg is stuck on 16 something and doesn't move. But the top does go down. Anyone else notice this?
Old 03-14-15, 03:59 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 852 Likes on 685 Posts

My situation is similar. We purchased an SC for my wife but it was only after I purchased a second fun car, Convertible, for myself. I have a Civic Hybrid for my to and from the office.

My wife told me she was tired of driving a mini-van with an empty nest and she really wanted a fun car like mine!ii showed her the SC and she immediately knew that was the car for her!
Old 03-14-15, 05:23 AM
rudyH
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SteadyEddy
I have begun to notice that a lot of SC owners have a second vehicle that isn't quite as thirsty as there SCs. Case in point my second vehicle is a Prius. The best I've gotten with that one is 54.6 mpg for one trip. The best for a tank full was like 41 mpg something. The SC I don't even bother any more. The computer for mpg is stuck on 16 something and doesn't move. But the top does go down. Anyone else notice this?
Interesting topic! I have a 2010 Lexus HS250 I bought new in 2010. It's a great car and I do mean GREAT! I got the Technology package so it's got the radar cruise and hill holder and some other gadgets. It gets an average of 32 to 38 mpg. The SC that I've only had for about two weeks is showing 22 mpg. I am finding this hard to believe but not impossible. I had a 2006 LS that I used to regularly get in the low twenties. If drive the way I did when I was 17 years old (hooligan mode) or spend a week in a town with heavy traffic, the LS used to drop Into the 17 mpg range. The SC shows a little over 2,000 rpm at 80 mph so 22 mpg seems possible. I'll be interested to see if the mileage stays up there. It is a bit of a shock after 5 years of Hybrid driving to own a car where the fuel gauge actually moves on a trip! My plan was to get rid of the HS but I am finding it hard to do. Not because of the mileage, because it's a trusty comfortable pleasant little car. It cruises all day at 80 to 90 mph too. Don't laugh. That is the average non-rush hour speed on the I5 freeway south of Long Beach in California.

Last edited by rudyH; 03-14-15 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-14-15, 07:19 AM
NAmVet68
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The SCs actually get amazing mileage when running with the top up on the highway if you use the cruise control and don't have much traffic to slow you down. The engine just loafs along at cruising speeds.

I reset my trip computer just before a recent five-hour drive back from Atlanta to Orlando and was astounded when I got almost 31 MPG ...and I had the cruise control set at 80! At first I thought it was an error in the trip computer, but my MPG calculations at the next fill-up verified it. My wife said that it was because we were going downhill all the way

I think part of it was that it was a cool-damp night with no traffic to slow us down and never really had to brake other than stop for coffee & to drain the dragon.....

Many SC owners don't know that you can reset the trip computer/gas mileage display by just holding the button down for a few seconds to zero it out. After you fill up & get back on the highway, get back up to speed, set your cruise control and reset the trip display and you will get an accurate running MPG.....give it an hour or so of steady-state running and you should get a relatively true highway reading.

For a car in this class, the gas mileage of the SC is actually quite good. I tend to average around 22 MPG in daily stop & go driving with half-hour stints on the highway...which isn't bad for such a heavy car with a V8 engine....so no complaints here....

Last edited by NAmVet68; 03-14-15 at 08:12 AM.
Old 03-14-15, 08:00 AM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You can see the MPG of our 3 current rides below. SC is a pleasure cruiser that comes out if the garage for stress reduction rides and gets around 20 MPG. The CT is an around town car and gets close to 40 MPG. The F150 Ecoboost, twin-turbo, has elbow room, good visability and does OK at around 16 MPG for what it does (locally hauling stuff)

Last edited by FLYCT; 03-14-15 at 08:11 AM.
Old 03-14-15, 09:02 AM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs up Good combination!

I think a Lexus hybrid is the perfect compliment to a SC430! My daily driver is a 2013 CT200h and I got 44 mpg average the first year of ownership. I agree that the SC430 does exceptionally well regarding fuel economy for a V-8 in a heavy car. I just started tracking my fuel mileage using fuelly.com this past November. My numbers will increase as the weather warms up. Results are as follows:

Old 03-14-15, 10:32 AM
bb430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We bought a brand new Prius the same month as the SC back in 2012. Now the Prius has 76122 miles as of now. The SC has 16000 miles or so added since. We took 2 trips to west coast and numerous trips to San Antonio and Houston with the Prius. Besides being the work horse of the house it's also the go getter car of the house since the SC can only carry a six pack and chips.
By the way, our third car is also a Prius😊. It's a 2005 and it has 165879 miles on it as of today.
Old 03-14-15, 11:44 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

The SC I don't even bother any more. The computer for mpg is stuck on 16 something and doesn't move.
Have you reset the MPG ever? If not, you are getting a historical average since the beginning. If you want to know the MPG from the last tank, you'll have to reset it first.

But the top does go down.
Pretty much says it all right there!
Old 03-15-15, 04:44 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

My Sc430 was my primary until about Christmas 2014. We just got a 2015 Mazda CX5 Grand Touring FWD, specifically for the snow that hit in the Chicago area. . It's rated for about 26/35 mpg. Usually city we're getting about 24mpg. My wife's the primary driver right now while I still rock the SC.
Old 03-16-15, 01:20 AM
Black31385
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a LS430 and SC430, both are great vehicles, but I find it kind of odd that I get better gas mileage on the LS instead of the SC.
Old 03-16-15, 06:00 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Hmmm...a second vehicle that more economical with fuel? What an interesting concept.

Something maybe I should consider.
Old 03-16-15, 07:59 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

My SC is stuck on 18.6 MPG on the display. I swear it is stuck, never changes. How do you reset? Unplug the battery?
Old 03-16-15, 08:28 AM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

The SC is a summer cruiser and to be honest, I have no idea what type of mileage I get. My LS460 is also not driven much, but gets fairly good mileage. The best mileage I get is from my GS300 which makes sense because of the V6. My RX330 gets fairly good mileage but the worst is my daily driver which is a Tundra V8.

I still have a VW Golf IV but not sure of the mileage but it's probably pretty high. Haven't driven that one in about 2 years though.....
Old 03-16-15, 08:58 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

SteadyEddy,

You should, as we discussed, trade in the Prius and get the NX. You will be happy. The wife will be happy as well.
Old 03-16-15, 03:43 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
My SC is stuck on 18.6 MPG on the display. I swear it is stuck, never changes. How do you reset? Unplug the battery?
Just hold the "Trip Info" down for a few seconds and it will reset.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Second Vehicle