SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Spark plug torque correct wow what a difference

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-15, 08:53 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Spark plug torque correct wow what a difference

Changed my spark plugs today, and wow what a difference. Turns out I didn't torque the plugs enough on my prior installation, and oil was getting on the loose plugs. I guess the loose plugs and resulting oil must have interfered with power and mpg. On my test drive my car exploded off the line and mpg shot up. Important to not to over tighten but important to tighten enough as well to manufacturers specs. I used a digital torque wrench to 22 ft lbs. My car almost lost control there was so much more power! And I think my CEL after my header install will probably go away since the bad plugs were likely contributing to bad emissions...
Old 03-08-15, 09:47 PM
jzwu
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad you got back the lost power. Wonder at what mileage you changed the plugs last time and what is your current mileage.
Old 03-08-15, 09:56 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

A loose plug shouldn't allow oil to get into the spark plug tube. I would check the valve cover gasket or the spark plug tube seal. If you are getting better performance, it's likely that it's because you're starting out with fresh plugs instead of one that's covered in oil. If your seals are leaking, then oil will eventually make it's way back down there.
The following users liked this post:
ghbrian (01-19-23)
Old 03-09-15, 06:10 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Yes I'm sure my spark plug gaskets and valve cover gasket needs to be changed. I bought the gaskets but have been putting it off.

This one particular spark plug was so loose I didn't even need a wrench to unscrew. This plug was covered with oil. The other plugs were properly tightened and had little if no oil. This led me to believe that oil is getting past the threads.

I will check this spark plug in a couple weeks, and if oil is present I will do the gasket change.

I'm not too worried about changing the valve cover gasket, but the spark plug gaskets look challenging. Have you or anyone else you know done this before? Do you just dig out the old gasket? Any tips?

Thanks!!
Old 03-09-15, 06:38 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Valve cover gasket change.
This is a good thread!
Old 03-09-15, 07:14 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

Other than the crush ring, what is a spark plug gasket. Are you referring to the coil boot?
Old 03-09-15, 07:37 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There are rubber grommets pressed into the valve cover (from the inside). In these engines the spark plugs pass through the valve cover on the way to the head, unlike older engine designs where the outline of the valve cover is scooped for the plugs.. See the thread referenced above. Anyway when the grommets get brittle oil will seep into the spark well. I've got that job waiting for me now that the weather is warming in the midwest.
Old 03-09-15, 10:16 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Hmmmm... Maybe my leaking valve cover is just due to loose bolts? And I did see several missing bolts too! Thoughts?
Old 03-09-15, 11:13 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBrett
Yes I'm sure my spark plug gaskets and valve cover gasket needs to be changed. I bought the gaskets but have been putting it off.

This one particular spark plug was so loose I didn't even need a wrench to unscrew. This plug was covered with oil. The other plugs were properly tightened and had little if no oil. This led me to believe that oil is getting past the threads.

I will check this spark plug in a couple weeks, and if oil is present I will do the gasket change.

I'm not too worried about changing the valve cover gasket, but the spark plug gaskets look challenging. Have you or anyone else you know done this before? Do you just dig out the old gasket? Any tips?

Thanks!!
..I had this done last year & it's best to do them both at the same time. The valve cover will have to be removed to gain access to the tubes, if I remember correctly, my mechanic charged me about $150