SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

What is your damper setting on your Coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-15, 08:38 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default What is your damper setting on your Coilovers?

I just had my MeisterR Coilovers installed and have been playing around with the damper setting. I was curious about what damper setting others were running with there respective coiover setup? Although your setting may not be a valid comparison to my car, since the spring rates across coil overs settings vary.

I tried several set ups so far with the 32 way adjustment, where 0 is the hardest setting and 32 is the softest (*note I did not lower my car it is stock height):

1) 16 Rear, 18 Front. The mechanic that installed the coilovers suggested this setting making it slightly softer in the front. The car instantly felt smoother than OEM out of the gate. I couldn't really detect a difference in handling. Read felt to stiff and front was fine.

2) 0 Rear, 32 Front. I tested the most soft setting in the rear and firm in the front. I think I liked this setting, since the sc430 is so rough over bumps in the back. Although the front was a full firmness on this setting, it wasn't harsh at all. So firm in front and soft in back seemed to work nice.

3) 32 Rear, 32 Front. Most soft setting on both from and rear. I like this set up but it may not handle as well as a firmer setting. It is hard in regard to handling since I don't take turns hard.

4) 0 Rear, 0 Front. Firmest setting in front and back, and the rear definetly was much harder and bumps were transmitted to cabin. I'm running this setting now to get a feel for how the car handles at this hard setting, but I'm likely to go much softer in the back.

Thoughts/Comments/Suggestions welcomed!
Old 02-19-15, 08:54 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

lex
use the setting you like the best. to soft not good to firm not good.
Old 02-19-15, 09:39 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

It is strange because in the rear at the softest setting it is stiff firm, but in the front in the hardest setting it is comfortable. I may go with firmest in front and softest in back, It feels the best. But I will experiment more.
Old 02-19-15, 10:48 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

lex
try this front setting 14 rear 12 an drive for a week.
Old 04-27-15, 04:24 PM
Mujininzoo
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

LexBrett, in another thread u mentioned that you hoped this mod would go better than previous efforts. Now that you've been running the coil overs for a few months, are u happy with the investment in the meisterRs? Would you purchase again? Basically, do u feel the cost has provided a commensurate level of improved comfort and performance? I'm considering also. Thanks.
Old 04-28-15, 04:25 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mujininzoo
LexBrett, in another thread u mentioned that you hoped this mod would go better than previous efforts. Now that you've been running the coil overs for a few months, are u happy with the investment in the meisterRs? Would you purchase again? Basically, do u feel the cost has provided a commensurate level of improved comfort and performance? I'm considering also. Thanks.
Yes! These coilovers are fantastic. I don't drive around corners fast so I don't know if handling improved, but there is a noticeable difference in ride quality. I feel these are the best coilovers for the money, and as far as I know the only brand that focuses on maintaining ride (tein CS have been discontinued and were the only other coilovers to specialize in ride). Let me know if you have questions
Old 07-11-15, 02:31 PM
Mujininzoo
Driver School Candidate

LexBrett, know you're dealing with other issues and hope repairs are going well. Ref the Meisterr coil overs (which I've ordered), where did you have them installed and was any mod required so that the rear ones can be accessed. As I understand some brands require holes to be cut in the trunk mats. I'll pm if you like. Thanks!
Old 07-12-15, 03:34 PM
Mujininzoo
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the photo. Answers a couple of questions I had. Are these meisterRs?
Old 10-03-16, 11:22 AM
BCT
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBrett
Yes! These coilovers are fantastic. I don't drive around corners fast so I don't know if handling improved, but there is a noticeable difference in ride quality. I feel these are the best coilovers for the money, and as far as I know the only brand that focuses on maintaining ride (tein CS have been discontinued and were the only other coilovers to specialize in ride). Let me know if you have questions
Do you still have these coilover? How are they long term? Still think this is best for the money? I need looking for coilover that ride well and firm without jarring, and preferably do not lower the height if possible.
Old 10-03-16, 01:08 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

He may not answer because he sold his SC and bought a MB.

Originally Posted by BCT
Do you still have these coilover? How are they long term? Still think this is best for the money? I need looking for coilover that ride well and firm without jarring, and preferably do not lower the height if possible.
Old 10-03-16, 09:31 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
He may not answer because he sold his SC and bought a MB.
... he went over to the dark side.