SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

2002 SC430 Nav Screen won't tilt or door close

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-15, 06:54 PM
bobster99
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2002 SC430 Nav Screen won't tilt or door close

A couple of weeks back out of the blue my Nav screen stopped tilting back and of course if it doesn't tilt back the door won't close. I did the Lexus Diagnosis on the Tilt and Close Switches and it turns out to be something in the 'Nav' unit. Of course Lexus doesn't sell parts for the Nav unit... just the whole thing.

Since that time I have spent way too much time on diagnosing it and I actually tried another used unit that has the same problem as mine. What I think that I have figured out is that the motors are ok but the control unit, a small circuit board within the nav unit has failed. The problem is that this unit has 2-3 IC chips on it and I have no idea if there is any way to repair this circuit board.

Has anyone had any luck repairing these circuit board or am I stuck....
The I was able to retract the unit into the dash and the door opens and closes but it would be nice if it tllted as they had intended

Thanks
Bob
Old 02-06-15, 02:02 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

I am currently working a motor replacement with my screen. I know the motor is bad but if it turns out to be something more, I will let you know. Here is the thread link.
Motor Replacement

Last edited by Bgw70; 02-08-15 at 04:20 AM.
Old 02-07-15, 01:35 PM
bobster99
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I fear that when the motors die they end up taking out the mother board. I found a good motor from the remains of one I found at a salvage yard and 'no joy' I was able to crank the unit back and now the door works fine but the unit stays tucked into the dash.

After I discovered Waze for my phone, well the Nav system suddenly lost some of its luster so I might just use it to keep track of oil changes.

I hope you get luckier than I did and if you figure out a solution, please share.
Old 02-08-15, 04:23 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Just curious, have you directly applied power to the motor and then reversed the polarity to make the motor function in both directions?

Here is another idea, I noticed the two connections on the PCB are labeled ch1 and ch2 but I do not know if the plugs are keyed to make it "GI proof". if they are not keyed you could plug the tilt motor into the connection that opens and closes the door. If you did this with the door already open, then push the open or close button, the screen should tilt.

I guess this would prove the tilt mechanics are all good and the open/close channel is good on the PCB along with the open/close buttons.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Bgw70; 02-08-15 at 04:34 AM.
Old 02-10-15, 05:14 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

I posted my findings Here. Page 3
Old 02-17-15, 02:32 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine does that too sometimes. I just jiggly the switch and it works. You just need to take it off and make a firm connection. Maybe try this before going to stealership..
Old 02-18-15, 01:46 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bgw70
Just curious, have you directly applied power to the motor and then reversed the polarity to make the motor function in both directions?

Here is another idea, I noticed the two connections on the PCB are labeled ch1 and ch2 but I do not know if the plugs are keyed to make it "GI proof". if they are not keyed you could plug the tilt motor into the connection that opens and closes the door. If you did this with the door already open, then push the open or close button, the screen should tilt.

I guess this would prove the tilt mechanics are all good and the open/close channel is good on the PCB along with the open/close buttons.

Thoughts?
My idea did not work because the tilt motor plug and door motor plug are keyed and you cannot alternate those connections on the circuit card.

The screen assembly in my car was basically ruined because something happened to all of the tilt and open/close functions, the screen was cracked and distorted and part of the screen frame was cracked.

Luckily, I took a chance and found a nice one on eBay. A salvage yard from the west coast sold it to me for $200 shipped. In their advertisement, they had a pic of the screen video looking very nice and they said it tested fine. They also backed it up with a warranty. Overall, it was a good deal and I am very happy with the purchase.

IMPORTANT: while reading posts in this forum I noticed a trend. Several people reported that the door will sometimes hang up when it opens or closes. I believe this is caused by all of the screws on the sides of the unit looseng up over time and the door will come off the track. The loose screws were observed on both of the screen assemblies I have. The first one was even missing two of the screws and door was not even on the track.
If this happens to you and you have to help it along, you might want to pull the assembly and tighten the side screws. Each side has about eight.
I also agree agree with what bobster99 wrote in his original post in this thread. The circuit board is bad.

Last edited by Bgw70; 02-19-15 at 10:59 AM.
Old 02-19-15, 07:44 AM
makecopies
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine just started doing this when its cold outside it wont work but when it warm outside it does.
If I slap the top of the dash it usually works.
Is there a way that I could just have it to stay open?